This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

who would you say does better game music the west or japan

#11SnadadosPosted 3/17/2014 11:41:21 AM
I notice and remember music from Japanese games far more often than I do from Western games.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#12Worknofun370Posted 3/17/2014 11:44:04 AM
Skyrim mod to play Danger Zone during battles > Any music in any game ever.
#13Jprime666Posted 3/17/2014 11:58:52 AM
The east. Their games actually have music that you can remember.

I'm all for orchestral music in games, but almost every western game soundtrack sounds like the same life dribble and lacks any sort of earworm quality.

I've always been a fan of my music being catchy both in and out of video games. Western composers are usually under the false impression that music has to either be catchy or atmosphere, and they seem to think they can't have both.
---
Zvarri!
#14Ivany2008Posted 3/17/2014 11:59:00 AM
West has the guy who did the halo and elder scrolls music

East has Nobuo Uematsu, one of the greatest composers of our generation

I'd go with East, just because if not Nobuo, there are at least a dozen others that match his quality
#15Kreeping DeathPosted 3/17/2014 12:26:12 PM
Dark Elf posted...
Japanese audio used to be way ahead, but it stopped progressing.

---
Pod 6 is jerks.
http://www.last.fm/user/CommodoreKD
#16ElDudorinoPosted 3/17/2014 12:27:56 PM
Really? I can't think of any other video game music composer who matches the ability of Nobuo Uematsu to write songs that are hard-hitting emotionally yet catchy and always fit the mood. He's the reason everybody keeps listing Final Fantasy, and I think that makes it easier to think of Japanese games with good soundtracks than games from anywhere else. If I exclude Squaresoft games, though, there are only a small handful of Japanese games where I really remember the music or really found it to be excellent.
#17Kreeping DeathPosted 3/17/2014 10:27:24 PM
ElDudorino posted...
Really? I can't think of any other video game music composer who matches the ability of Nobuo Uematsu to write songs that are hard-hitting emotionally yet catchy and always fit the mood. He's the reason everybody keeps listing Final Fantasy, and I think that makes it easier to think of Japanese games with good soundtracks than games from anywhere else. If I exclude Squaresoft games, though, there are only a small handful of Japanese games where I really remember the music or really found it to be excellent.

Nobuo hasn't composed a Final Fantasy game since X.
---
Pod 6 is jerks.
http://www.last.fm/user/CommodoreKD
#18majinbuu58Posted 3/17/2014 10:44:46 PM
...Why is it the west vs japan? Lol
#19Lucavi000Posted 3/17/2014 11:03:11 PM
Kreeping Death posted...
ElDudorino posted...

Nobuo hasn't composed a Final Fantasy game since X.

That doesn't matter. Final Fantasy has had great music despite Nobuo not being directly involved since X. Hell, the redone FF14 has an amazing orchestrated OST that reminds me so much of FFT that I really find it hard to believe it wasn't done by the same composer (it wasn't and FFT wasn't done by Nobuo either).
#20DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/17/2014 11:08:58 PM
Japan usually has better melody, western audio usually has better source samples and composition.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross