This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Opinions and thoughts on a rig I purchased from Best Buy

#1xXooWizzleooXxPosted 3/17/2014 11:06:17 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for opinions on a desktop I just purchased through Best Buy. I bought it Sunday but they didn't have any in store so I'm having to wait for it to be delivered to the house. I believe this is the exact one I purchased here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/essentio-desktop-12gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive/3026568.p?id=1219086172070&skuId=3026568&st=categoryid$abcat0501000&cp=1&lp=4

I'm definitely a PC gaming noob so I'm not entirely sure how great this rig is. I was looking to build one and specifically researched Intel and Nvidia over AMD which this one carries so I'm clueless about AMD and everything else it is decked out with. After talking with the Best Buy rep I decided to pull the cord on this one. Hopefully I haven't made a bad choice.

I have been playing on a Toshiba laptop for a few years now with an integrated graphics card so I have not played anything too crazy. Mainly play Starbound, Minecraft, Torchlight 2 and other indie titles. I haven't had much problem running them on it but I'm hoping I can get better performance through this new rig. I also just bought a PS4 last Tuesday so I'm hoping to have a rig that I can play PC exclusives and titles that come to PC from the 360 and XBone so I can really touch all aspects of gaming with PC and consoles.

I appreciate any feedback I receive.
---
26 year old father (baby girl & baby boy!) | Interest: Gaming, Anime, & Music
Steam: KiddSisco PSN: graciouslyknown | NP: Starbound
#2MonkeymagePosted 3/17/2014 11:10:10 AM
Yeah, uhhhhh, that GPU is also integrated. You won't be playing many titles on higher than medium.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#3xXooWizzleooXx(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2014 11:13:55 AM
Is it? Lol. Hmm maybe this isn't the same one then. The rep was saying I would be able to upgrade the GPU and add ram, etc. Of course he may have been just filling my head with nonsense...
---
#4TropicMoon10Posted 3/17/2014 11:19:53 AM(edited)
I like how the two things advertised in the title are RAM and HDD, some of the lesser expensive components.

It's by no means a bad system. You'll be able to run the games you mentioned just fine, but you definitely need a graphics card upgrade for any intensive gaming. A GTX 760 or R9 270 will get you a great gaming experience.

I'm not seeing a power supply in the specs. You need a good one to be able to handle a gaming GPU as well.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#5tiger8191Posted 3/17/2014 11:18:16 AM
Yeah you can upgrade it. But as it stands, it's not a gaming PC.
---
www.twitch.tv/fearsomebeaver
#6Fargoth272Posted 3/17/2014 11:20:06 AM
AMD Radeon HD 8760

Crappy video card, too much RAM, over priced

You should've built your own
---
8s7dfz32xc0v62x0
#7xXooWizzleooXx(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2014 11:28:24 AM
I see. Well the rep must have been somewhat clueless then because he told almost the complete opposite of what you guys are telling me lol. Well I'm by no means looking to play everything at highest settings, sure it would be nice but I've been gaming on consoles all my life so you can understand that graphics aren't that important to me. I'm more interested in getting 60+ fps really.

Thank you for everyone's feedback though. Hopefully over time I can upgrade this one without needing to buy a new chassis and everything else.

Is it at least a decent start?
---
#8pitt12177Posted 3/17/2014 11:30:56 AM
xXooWizzleooXx posted...
I see. Well the rep must have been somewhat clueless then because he told almost the complete opposite of what you guys are telling me lol. Well I'm by no means looking to play everything at highest settings, sure it would be nice but I've been gaming on consoles all my life so you can understand that graphics aren't that important to me. I'm more interested in getting 60+ fps really.

Thank you for everyone's feedback though. Hopefully over time I can upgrade this one without needing to buy a new chassis and everything else.

Is it at least a decent start?

Most reps just say what they need to say to get a sale. If he wasn't clueless, he pulled a con job. Really simple.
#9aak57Posted 3/17/2014 11:32:05 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10aak57Posted 3/17/2014 11:37:16 AM(edited)
Dammit, hit delete instead of edit. Anyway TC, from what I can gather the HD 8760 is a rebadge of the 7770, which is a card that will allow you to play at 1080p. Will have to turn down some settings to be keeping 60FPS in newer games, but you could have done worse. Though honestly, unless you needed this now you really should have waited until the steam machines are out. The $500 steambox will be at least as good as what you bought and even factoring in a Windows purchase you'd still come out a couple hundred less.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.