This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should I invest in a better mouse/mousepad?

#1promo123Posted 3/18/2014 11:56:02 AM
I'm new to the worlds of PC gaming (as you may know already, I've been posting a lot of questions here lately.) I bought a gaming mechanical keyboard because I didn't have a spare keyboard to use, but I had an old mouse laying around so I'm just using that. It's alright for regular stuff, but I find I'm having a really hard time with first and third person shooters. I'm not sure if it's because I'm used to a controller or if it's just my mouse or mousepad. I was under the impression that shooters were much easier with a mouse.

My mousepad is also something I found laying around home. It has a logo from a local radio station, so I'm assuming it was a handout that we got for free a while back, so it's probably pretty cheap. Would a new one make a difference? Hard or soft? The one I have right now is hard.

The mouse is Dell, I think it must be at least 8 or so years old, but it works fine for just browsing the web. It is a laser mouse or whatever you call it.

I'm happy with my keyboard (Logitech G710+) so I was thinking about getting a Logitech gaming mouse and mousepad. Is it worth it? Will they make a difference?

Or maybe I just suck and need more practice.
---
Everybody's havin' a good time with Poppy Bros!
#2Ch3wyPosted 3/18/2014 11:59:12 AM
G400s + Cloth mousepad with picture of cat on it = friction-less mousing experience.

Also you're probably not used to it for the most part.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#3ClouddxPosted 3/18/2014 12:01:03 PM
g400s is the only logitech mouse I would get. Cloth mousepad like the QCK+ is good.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#4SnadadosPosted 3/18/2014 12:31:57 PM(edited)
While a super accurate mouse is nice in theory, you'll likely not notice a difference if you're not a very competitive FPS player.
Look for a mouse that feels good in your hands more than anything.

Any old mouse pad will do just fine.
Just keep it clean of debris and it'll work just as well as anything else.
The most important thing is that it is large enough that you don't reach the edge and have to lift and reposition the mouse constantly.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#5ClouddxPosted 3/18/2014 12:32:30 PM
Snadados posted...
While a super accurate mouse is nice in theory, you'll likely not notice a difference if you're not a very competitive FPS player.
Look for a mouse that feels good in your hands more than anything.

Any old mouse pad will do just fine.
Just keep it clean of debris and it'll work just as well as anything else.

While this is true, there are other reasons to get a good sensor. If you're a low sensitivity user, you will notice acceleration and jitter on mice that don't provide an adequate sensor.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#6promo123(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2014 1:38:19 PM
I think I'm going to get a G400s. Should I get a Logitech mousepad or will any cheap one do? Also, is hard better than soft or is just a matter of preference?
---
Everybody's havin' a good time with Poppy Bros!
#7PsythikPosted 3/18/2014 1:44:37 PM
lolmousepads
---
4670K | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg