This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why can't console users switch to PC?

#11KidInTheHallPosted 3/18/2014 2:57:02 PM
Because we're all filled up little fella, come back in 6 months when we might have an opening!

(psst we're trying to get rid of jake-sf)
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 560Ti 448 Classified x2 SLI | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#12DarkZV2BetaPosted 3/18/2014 2:57:18 PM
Majoras_pants posted...
PC IS cheaper in the long run, kind of. But no, $500 wont get your a high end PC that will outlast consoles.

You make up the money with free online and cheaper games. But the problem with that is you get a lot more games worth playing so you end up buying more anyway. So really you'll spend just as much if not more.

High end? no. Outdo consoles? sure. $500 is all it takes.
Back before PS4 was out, you could top it with a sub-$400 machine.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#13Shoothemonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2014 3:03:24 PM
I like how everyone understands the message I'm trying to tell but discuss about a mistake that was solely my fault. Props to cowboy though for being the first and probably only person to answer the question.

So if I understand, console = easy to install but low value and PC = hard but worth every penny?
---
Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep, beep beep beep beep beep beep beep, beep beep beep beep beep beep beep, beep, beep, beep, b-b-beep
- Mexican Beeping Song
#14SlaynPosted 3/18/2014 3:14:54 PM
Shoothemonkey posted...
Honest question.

I have a 3DS and Vita but that's just because they have loads of exclusives worthy of them.

PC IS cheaper on the long term. You only need to pay around 500 bucks for a high end PC which will last you more than what consoles offer you, and games are on sale way too often.

TBH the whole "PC is complicated" is just a sign of laziness. Well, if you're unwilling to learn about the right ways of the master race then it's all your loss.

I'm sorry, I couldn't get past this...
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#15Cowboy082288Posted 3/18/2014 3:22:56 PM
Shoothemonkey posted...
I like how everyone understands the message I'm trying to tell but discuss about a mistake that was solely my fault. Props to cowboy though for being the first and probably only person to answer the question.

So if I understand, console = easy to install but low value and PC = hard but worth every penny?

I would say that the new consoles are adequate value for their price. Which honestly is a little disappointing. It used to be that when new consoles came out they were exceptional value to their price.

To give an example, when the PS3 first launched the cheaper stand alone blu-ray players were about $1,000. A PS3 though was only $600.

When the X360 launched is was comparable to a pretty damn good PC, some even said as good as a high end one. Of course in 1 year or so PC would again become superior due to the constant march of new gpus, cpus, ram, ect.

Back then console manufactures often took a loss on every unit they sold. Nintendo took a different approach with the wii, making money on every console sold. Hence the wii being noticeably weaker tech.

This gen though MS and Sony have decided to not take that route and they either break even or make a slight profit on units sold. Hence the consoles are decent value for their price but nothing that will blow you away.

If your willing to drop say 700-800 dollars you can have a PC that easily outperforms the new consoles but you will spend a little more money for that.
---
PSN/XBL/Steam/iOS - cowboyoni
#16Shoothemonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2014 4:39:22 PM
Slayn posted...
Shoothemonkey posted...
Honest question.

I have a 3DS and Vita but that's just because they have loads of exclusives worthy of them.

PC IS cheaper on the long term. You only need to pay around 500 bucks for a high end PC which will last you more than what consoles offer you, and games are on sale way too often.

TBH the whole "PC is complicated" is just a sign of laziness. Well, if you're unwilling to learn about the right ways of the master race then it's all your loss.

I'm sorry, I couldn't get past this...

Okay?
---
Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep, beep beep beep beep beep beep beep, beep beep beep beep beep beep beep, beep, beep, beep, b-b-beep
- Mexican Beeping Song
#17TropicMoon10Posted 3/18/2014 4:49:32 PM(edited)
A single PC at that price range won't last you nearly as long. I've said this before. Imagine building a $400 computer in 2005 and expecting it to run, without any upgrades, a game like GTA V. It's impossible.

Sure it's not 60fps/1080p, but it still works (assuming your console hasn't suffered from BSOD or YLOD or whatever else consoles nowadays risk getting). That's what a lot of gamers want - convenience and longevity out of a single device without any extra work. Game consoles offer that.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#18Cowboy082288Posted 3/18/2014 5:00:39 PM
TropicMoon10 posted...
A single PC at that price range won't last you nearly as long. I've said this before. Imagine building a $400 computer in 2005 and expecting it to run, without any upgrades, a game like GTA V. It's impossible.

Sure it's not 60fps/1080p, but it still works (assuming your console hasn't suffered from BSOD or YLOD or whatever else consoles nowadays risk getting). That's what a lot of gamers want - convenience and longevity out of a single device without any extra work. Game consoles offer that.

I agree with this. The X360 was an awesome piece of tech when it came out. That being said I wonder though if we are going to see the same kind of longevity with these new consoles. The tech leap seems to be noticeably less then what we were used to seeing.

My guess is that 4K gaming is about 3-5 years from being mainstream. I don't think these consoles can really stay competitive if that happens.
---
#19KnewlioPosted 3/18/2014 6:26:03 PM
The real question is why wouldn't you just play games on all platforms, playing all the exclusives and playing multiplatform games wherever the best version resides?
#20Cowboy082288Posted 3/18/2014 6:28:33 PM
Knewlio posted...
The real question is why wouldn't you just play games on all platforms, playing all the exclusives and playing multiplatform games wherever the best version resides?

Lack of money and time would be my guess :)
---