This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The human eye is incapable of reliably distinguishing any detail finer than 720p

#21electroflamePosted 3/19/2014 9:57:05 AM
Boge posted...
Not this again.

This.

On the plus side, I must have super-human vision.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#22ArkonBladePosted 3/19/2014 11:25:54 AM
electroflame posted...
Boge posted...
Not this again.

This.

On the plus side, I must have super-human vision.

So must I.

Because when I switch a game in the res settings from 720p to 1080p I can really notice a huge difference. I wonder what other super powers I must have?
---
PC game sales= more games then you could ever dream of owning.
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#23Son Of SpamPosted 3/19/2014 1:06:58 PM
1080p wouldn't have been a big deal a few years ago when anything over 42" was pretty expensive, but nowadays you are seeing large screen TVs getting cheaper and cheaper. I've even seen a couple of 50" TVs for under $300.
#24Worknofun370Posted 3/19/2014 1:13:54 PM
Son Of Spam posted...
1080p wouldn't have been a big deal a few years ago when anything over 42" was pretty expensive, but nowadays you are seeing large screen TVs getting cheaper and cheaper. I've even seen a couple of 50" TVs for under $300.

I bought a 61" HDTV in 2005 for $620 from retail. Just sayin.
#25KillerTrufflePosted 3/19/2014 1:14:38 PM
Why the hell is this topic here? Even the Xbox board widely knows that guy is just a troll and his topic is stupid.

Do you SERIOUSLY think we don't have enough trolls here on the PC board, so you have to try and drag us over to deal with one who has thankfully kept his idiot topics on the console boards?
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#26KillerTrufflePosted 3/19/2014 2:21:53 PM
Dragnfyr posted...
Cade6669 posted...
The article (from some group I never hear of and don't know how reliable they are) didn't take a very scientific approach. The scientific approach has measurable variables and their experiment was still very opinionated. Are there situations and people that can't tell the difference? Yes. Myself and my situation, 1080p isn't good enough for me.

That article was pretty scientific. It was all based on calculations which are very objective. I didn't double check if the numbers they used were right but their method was correct. There is a physical limit which no optical system can surpass due to the diffraction of light. This limit can be quantified by this formula http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/raylei.html
For a given wavelength of light and for a given aperture diameter (eg. pupil width) there is a specific angular resolution limit beyond which any two points will blur together.
Objectively speaking 720p can be enough depending on the distance and size of the screen you're viewing. If you're sitting at your desk on a 24" monitor then you're right that 1080p isn't enough. At the typical desk viewing distance and on a typically sized monitor (20-27") 4K resolution is pretty close to the limits of human vision IIRC.

That is correct. That other topic, the TC came up with some absolute values to try and claim 720p was the maximum, but you can't do that because distance from the screen and screen size (and corresponding pixel density) are factors. I don't remember *exact* numbers, but something like a 27-30" 4k monitor at 2.5-3 feet is pretty much at the resolvable limit of someone with 20/20 vision.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#27protools1983(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2014 3:01:06 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Why the hell is this topic here? Even the Xbox board widely knows that guy is just a troll and his topic is stupid.

Do you SERIOUSLY think we don't have enough trolls here on the PC board, so you have to try and drag us over to deal with one who has thankfully kept his idiot topics on the console boards?

My bad Truf.
---
Xbox One - The console that made me the PC gamer I am today.
Yah like dahgs?
#28JKatarnPosted 3/19/2014 3:07:46 PM
arleas posted...
Why is this topic here? Yes yes, it's a console peasant reassuring himself that there's no need for anything better than what he has... so what? What does that have to do with people who know better?

Are we supposed to point and laugh? I think it's kinda sad, not funny. Also it's probably a good indication of a troll (in which case, congrats on falling for it) or 12 year old logic (in which case, congrats on falling for it).

Either way.... Blah

Let's just leave it at: there are a lot of stupid, misinformed people out there. Many of them actually don't WANT to know any better, they are known as the "willfully ignorant".
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#29ish0turfac3Posted 3/19/2014 4:11:12 PM
Wow... Tc, just stop. Just please.
---
GT: ish0turfac3 - Nintendo ID: ish0turfac3 - Steam ID: ish0turfac3
3DS Code: 1719-3540-9027 Playstation ID: ueffingsrs (feel free to add me)
#30CELTEKKPosted 3/19/2014 4:14:54 PM(edited)
are you ****ing kidding me with these reassurance topics?

this is a desperate attempt... so pathetically desperate.

0/10
---
psn:celtekk|steam:celtekk
http://imgur.com/OAmxBPd