This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gog.com going to support linux

#21DieForMotherLandPosted 3/19/2014 11:15:08 PM
Smart of them to focus on Mint and Ubuntu only. Anybody who is using any other Distro is smart enough to fix any problems they have on their own.
---
Deu > Colm > Volke > Rivis > Patty > Parn > Rennac > Lara
#22PsythikPosted 3/19/2014 11:44:01 PM
AlexKidd5000 posted...
Let me guess, you tried them once like ten years ago? Becuase now they are all really friggin easy to use. I especially like Manjaro, much easier and intuitive than either of those distros.
SteamOS came out recently...

Until the day I can use Linux without ever having to go into the terminal or edit .conf files when I want to install a driver or get sound working is the day I'll consider using it again.
---
4670K | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | BitFenix Phenom M (white) | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#23AlexKidd5000(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2014 12:58:53 AM
Psythik posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
Let me guess, you tried them once like ten years ago? Becuase now they are all really friggin easy to use. I especially like Manjaro, much easier and intuitive than either of those distros.
SteamOS came out recently...

Until the day I can use Linux without ever having to go into the terminal or edit .conf files when I want to install a driver or get sound working is the day I'll consider using it again.

The terminal is an essential part of all operating systems, and nowadays, it's almost completely optional in linux, it's always good to have if you have to fix something though. I have only been using linux for about a year, and even I don't think using the terminal is a big deal whatsoever, it's a piece of cake to use. And that's nothing I haven't had to do in windows either at one time or another. Most distros have no problem detecting hardware, and getting it all set up and running by itself.
#24Orestes417Posted 3/20/2014 6:28:13 AM
Really wish people would get over the brain damaged notion that manipulating basic text is hard.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#25arleasPosted 3/20/2014 6:58:14 AM
What amazes me is that the same people who will proudly claim they can do all the "tough stuff" on windows are the same ones who complain that doing the same on linux is any harder. It's not that much harder, just different.

My recent experience with Linux was less than ideal (I had to put in a little extra work to get better video drivers downloaded) but it wasn't horrible. It would have been nice if everything was perfect after an install with no extra work to be done, but I've had windows installs in the past give me more trouble.

Actually the worst thing (for me) was not knowing which commands to use right away, but a few seconds with google on my phone (since I didn't have a 2nd computer at the time) and I was on my way.

As soon as Steam OS is "ready for primetime" I'll use my old computer for that and maybe move it to the Living room.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#26JrTapia1991Posted 3/20/2014 8:12:06 AM
I've recently dabbled with linux a little via virtual machine and I don't mind it that much, it's cool you can have it saved to and running off a flash drive, I keep a distro saved in case of HDD failure so I can still browse online. I like how it can give older pc's new life again. Via usb for fun on my old sucky single core AMD sempron m100 2.0ghz laptop it runs much better than the w7 on it.

That being said, in terms of the average joe computer user, linux has a long way to go. tbh it's kinda ridiculous having to go into the command prompt and paste all this code in from google just to get spotify or Skype. I've asked people around my area what the specs are on a laptop they were selling and they replied "wuts a cpu"

if all grandma will ever do is browse the internet though, it serves it's role fine. Just don't expect the casual pc user to want to fiddle with the terminal.
---
"Human history is a litany of blood, shed over ideals of rulership and afterlife."-Legion
#27ShubPosted 3/20/2014 8:19:42 AM
JrTapia1991 posted...
tbh it's kinda ridiculous having to go into the command prompt and paste all this code in from google just to get spotify or Skype

I don't know about Spotify since I don't use that service, but for Skype, if you use a Debian- or Red Hat-based distro, you can get an official package straight from Skype.com and install it with a single terminal command...
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#28Worknofun370Posted 3/20/2014 8:22:58 AM
Shub posted...
I don't know about Spotify since I don't use that service, but for Skype, if you use a Debian- or Red Hat-based distro, you can get an official package straight from Skype.com and install it with a single terminal command...

Hell in most distros for years and years you don't even need to go into the terminal as there are tons of GUI programs out for package management.
#29Orestes417Posted 3/20/2014 8:34:13 AM
Illustrating my point. People whine about clicking once and entering a single well defined line of text into a terminal like it's some massive headache but if you give them a gui procedure that takes twice as much work with half the flexibility it's suddenly "easy".
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#30Worknofun370Posted 3/20/2014 8:38:25 AM
Orestes417 posted...
Illustrating my point. People whine about clicking once and entering a single well defined line of text into a terminal like it's some massive headache but if you give them a gui procedure that takes twice as much work with half the flexibility it's suddenly "easy".

Remembering words is hard.