This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does one break a PC/Internet addiction? (serious thread)

#1BendoHendoPosted 3/18/2014 11:08:29 PM
It's a bit ironic, but I am asking for advice on how to break a PC/Internet addiction....on the internet.

I got my first PC when I was 12 and for the past 10 years I have spent an ungodly amount of time on the computer and internet. It's usually doing mind-numbing things like posting on forums, reddit, 4chan, memes, youtube. Time wasters. I'm talking 90% of my spare time I sit in front of this screen.

An obvious solution would be to unplug the internet and go cold turkey. I like that idea, but it's not that practical. In 2014, the internet and computers in general are essential for work and education. I'm in a MS program and work in a field that requires extensive use of the computer and internet. And with that comes the temptation of time-wasters and addiction triggers.

I feel like this addiction has prevented me from reaching my potential in my academic career and I will look back and regret wasting years of my life on essentially meaningless content.

Advice?

--
#2PokenubPosted 3/18/2014 11:10:44 PM
Rather than cut yourself off from the internet, just limit your time on the sites that are causing the issue.

Or get a girlfriend, whenever I'm with my girlfriend, my computer sits unused for like 5 days while she's visiting.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#3InTheEyesOfFirePosted 3/18/2014 11:14:23 PM
Pick up a physical hobby? I like to disc golf in the summer, gets me outside and away from the tech when needed.
---
It's time for revenge.
Currently playing: Vampire: The Masquerade, TDM, Jedi Outcast.
#4pisces_knightPosted 3/18/2014 11:24:30 PM
Try to get away from it for a couple weeks and think about other stuff, after that it's alot easier to manage it in small increments
---
3DS FC: 0645-6451-8928
GameFAQs, that horrible place where every ones opinion is fact.
#5JavelinPosted 3/18/2014 11:44:41 PM
Get a hobby that takes you out of the house.
---
MSI Z77A-GD55 | Intel Core i7-3770K | Kingston HyperX 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
#6arleasPosted 3/18/2014 11:51:09 PM
Javelin posted...
Get a hobby that takes you out of the house.

This is probably the best overall advice.

The only way to cure an addiction to something like the internet is to keep yourself busy...if you're home you're going to probably have that temptation looming over you, but if you're out and about, you won't be able to just jump on the computer for "just a minute".

Also, if you're doing something enjoyable that keeps you busy you'll have less idle time to think about what it is you're missing by not using the internet.

If you have willpower you can set limits on yourself (such as only using the internet for an hour after you get home from work or school), but I think if you had the willpower to do that you wouldn't have come here asking how to do it.

Just find something to keep you busy. Learn a new language, learn a new instrument, do both (I'm doing both, but I need the computer for both, DOH), read more books, go play paintball with the guys...take up star gazing/amateur astronomy. Whatever it is should be something that you can feel proud of as an accomplishment.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#7DerPancakePosted 3/19/2014 12:03:45 AM
Pokenub posted...
Rather than cut yourself off from the internet, just limit your time on the sites that are causing the issue.

Or get a girlfriend, whenever I'm with my girlfriend, my computer sits unused for like 5 days while she's visiting.

Mandilon
---
http://i.imgur.com/mng6Lqf.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/mxvh3ut - Taylor Swift: Queen of Pop.
#8Flaktrooper123Posted 3/19/2014 12:06:57 AM
Go on a holiday?
#9PokenubPosted 3/19/2014 1:10:06 AM
DerPancake posted...
Mandilon

Not really, just busy doing other things. I shan't say more in fear of being modded.
---
Damn it.. I swear I had something for this..
#10LordOfLegaciesPosted 3/19/2014 1:34:51 AM
BendoHendo posted...
How does one break a PC/Internet addiction?

Take responsibility for your actions and have some self control.
---
Me: Nobody takes the appeal system seriously so nobody cares if you remove their appeal privileges. *removes my appeal privilages*
Yep, sure f***ing showed me.