This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does one break a PC/Internet addiction? (serious thread)

#11phy2jshPosted 3/19/2014 2:59:23 AM
LordOfLegacies posted...
BendoHendo posted...
How does one break a PC/Internet addiction?

Take responsibility for your actions and have some self control.

This. I do wonder if this is a troll topic. Irrespective, why do so many people think there is some magic solution to every problem in life?

Just man up. Go outside. And stop asking the internet to give you a miracle solution.
#12Erik212Posted 3/19/2014 4:09:21 AM
phy2jsh posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...
BendoHendo posted...

This. I do wonder if this is a troll topic. Irrespective, why do so many people think there is some magic solution to every problem in life?

Just man up. Go outside. And stop asking the internet to give you a miracle solution.

If only all addictions could be overcome with simple manning up. If you were in China you could go to an internet addiction reform camp.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.
#13rpgianPosted 3/19/2014 4:39:57 AM
Like any addiction/habit you just stop doing it and in time the behavior stops. Start a home work project, work more hours, go take some classes in botany or another language, watch every episode of the simpsons ever made. Whatever. Getting busy with something else for long enough shelves what you think is important and it becomes much less important.

Easy to fall back into as the grooves are laid in the mind and will be recalled if you start repeating the behavior so you will just have to keep yourself in check.
#14LordSeiferPosted 3/19/2014 4:42:45 AM
dont listen to anyone with over 1000 karma
---
^ this
#15turbogoonPosted 3/19/2014 4:46:39 AM
Get a tablet with 4g and leave the house. Nothing is wrong with being online all day. However sitting at a PC all day puts you at risk for blood clots.
#16charlton3kPosted 3/19/2014 4:54:53 AM
Just cut your time down slowly, try other things that do not need a monitor/tv etc.
I got some lego for christmas for the first time sincei was a child and now i've went out and bought several boxes to build up, love it! Also i'm nearly 30 :)
---
Craphex
I play every game across every platform. Everything in one place: http://raptr.com/charlton3k/about
#17tigerex777Posted 3/19/2014 5:12:38 AM
The only way to break an addiction is replacing it with something else. However you have to be careful with what you're replacing it with. Because that replacement could become another addiction. So choose something productive such as reading, maybe musical instrument learning, exercise, new productive hobby, doing things you haven't done in a long time such as socializing and of course studying. If you have a religion dedicate more time into studying it.
---
i5 760 @ 3.8ghz / 4GB DDR3 Ripjaws / GTX 770 SLI / Cooler Master GX 750W PSU / Cooler Master Advance II case / Asus 24' 144hz / Windows 7 64
#18phy2jshPosted 3/19/2014 5:33:05 AM
Erik212 posted...
phy2jsh posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...
BendoHendo posted...

If only all addictions could be overcome with simple manning up. If you were in China you could go to an internet addiction reform camp.

I would counter that all addictions can be overcome by manning up! There are other measures that can help with certain addictions, but manning up must still be fundamental!

I'm not trying to act macho or anything. I've failed to escape quite a few addictions, but I'm always honest with myself that my lack of manning up is to blame.
#19NicodimusPosted 3/19/2014 5:45:52 AM
Erik212 posted...
If only all addictions could be overcome with simple manning up.

They can be. The problem is that most people have the willpower of a cabbage.
---
My movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU
#20Born LuckyPosted 3/19/2014 5:48:00 AM
Learn how to play guitar, brother.

There's plenty of free lessons on the . . oh . .. uh . .

Seriously, just don't get on the internet. There's probably a thousand things to do around your house. Take a walk. Go for a drive. Work out. Start a garden. Play guitar - seriously. The more time you spend away from the internet, the less important it will begin to seem.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot