This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does one break a PC/Internet addiction? (serious thread)

#21PhilOnDezPosted 3/19/2014 7:23:52 AM
Most addicts aren't addicts because they enjoy whatever they're addicted to. There are of course exceptions, but for the most part they're doing what they do because they need something to fill in a lot of free time.

In the case of Internet (and food) addiction, it's really hard to stop because at the end of the day it's just not a practical or realistic thing to completely give up. If it wasn't for the Internet I wouldn't work nearly as much as I do at my full time job and my part time job wouldn't exist.

Telling me to give up the Internet would be like telling an alcoholic to have one beer or giving a heroine addict opiate based painkillers.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#22clowningPosted 3/19/2014 7:39:53 AM
Get hobbies that involve something other than the computer. Start exercising, hiking, anything that suck up time and accomplishes something beneficial for you. Do these things with friends.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#23Cade6669Posted 3/19/2014 7:54:40 AM
Get an egg timer and limit yourself to an hour a day. When the timer goes off, stop. Good luck, buddy.
---
Origin - SuperKing61 Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperKing61
I love you.
#24SinisterSlayPosted 3/19/2014 7:57:09 AM
Avoid tvtropes
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#25Treason686Posted 3/19/2014 8:27:59 AM
If you're stuck at the computer, find something productive to do while you're there.
---
I <3 segfault
#26Aadrian1234Posted 3/19/2014 9:46:18 AM
phy2jsh posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...
BendoHendo posted...
How does one break a PC/Internet addiction?

Take responsibility for your actions and have some self control.

This. I do wonder if this is a troll topic. Irrespective, why do so many people think there is some magic solution to every problem in life?

Just man up. Go outside. And stop asking the internet to give you a miracle solution.

Go talk to someone who actually had to get over an addiction before you start insulting others. It's not as easy as you think
---
"This...sentence...is...false!"
"Umm... True, I pick true. See? Not hard at all"
#27Sub TankPosted 3/19/2014 10:10:57 AM
Shock therapy
---
"...on a ps3 a realalistic looking megaman with a huge universe to explore rag dog physics." - Djmidnight1
#28Bazooka_PenguinPosted 3/19/2014 10:11:53 AM
Build a schedule
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#29Xeeh_BitzPosted 3/19/2014 10:14:00 AM
If you're going to be at the computer, at least sign up for those paid surveys so you can make bank.

Might make like $200 a month if you spend that much time on the computer! Riches galore, baby!
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#30phy2jshPosted 3/19/2014 10:30:48 AM
Aadrian1234 posted...
phy2jsh posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...
BendoHendo posted...
How does one break a PC/Internet addiction?

Take responsibility for your actions and have some self control.

This. I do wonder if this is a troll topic. Irrespective, why do so many people think there is some magic solution to every problem in life?

Just man up. Go outside. And stop asking the internet to give you a miracle solution.

Go talk to someone who actually had to get over an addiction before you start insulting others. It's not as easy as you think

I really didn't mean to imply it's easy. On the contrary, I meant to suggest there is no easy answer, despite what some people wish to believe.
---
Brought to you by GameFlux
Free GameFAQs app on Google Play!