This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does one break a PC/Internet addiction? (serious thread)

#51JKatarnPosted 3/19/2014 6:47:40 PM
Boge posted...
Clouddx posted...
I have extreme anxiety caused by lack of GABA in my body. It's terrible and I feel for you, but you need to go see a doctor if the anxiety is so bad it's literally stopping you from living your life normally.

I have been. Nothing is helping. I've been trying different medications as well as counseling.

It's not a fun thing to live making every single decision based on what will cause the least amount of pain rather than what will give you the most pleasure. And believing I'll regret it if I kill myself just holds me in this suffering life until my clock finally runs out and I can have "the sweet release of death."

Wow.....that sounds like hell on Earth....you have my sympathies.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#52LordOfLegaciesPosted 3/19/2014 7:15:27 PM
JKatarn posted...
Who are you to define what is/isn't a "legitimate" addiction? Have you ever heard of the show "my strange addiction" - people can and do have some very strong, very unusual addictions/compulsions. Also, as I stated earlier, addictions are typically a symptom of some underlying anxieties/stresses that are being pushed to the side by indulging in the addiction. You are correct in that people ultimately need to develop a strong desire to overcome their addiction, but your faceless false bravado isn't helping. Addictions/anxieties can be complex and difficult things to overcome - were overcoming them as simple as "manning up", there would of course be no need for mental health professionals, life coaches etc. - and it's certainly not healthy to repress your anxieties/stresses without really dealing with them while affecting a false "macho" demeanor.

You're putting words in my mouth, attempting to belittle or downplay what I've experienced, and attempting to pass off a reality television show as a credible source?
You're talking out of your ass. You don't know s*** and I don't need to explain myself to you any further. We're done here.
---
Me: Nobody takes the appeal system seriously so nobody cares if you remove their appeal privileges. *removes my appeal privilages*
Yep, sure f***ing showed me.
#53Lucavi000Posted 3/19/2014 7:21:54 PM
Let me set up your white/black list and you'll wish you never asked this question.
#54PhilOnDezPosted 3/19/2014 7:23:16 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...
My addiction was more real than anyone else's because it happened to me.

---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#55auginistePosted 3/19/2014 7:25:22 PM
one does not simply break pc/internet addiction.

unless, someone already beat me to saying this, which is quite possible.
---
alien-baiting. ~ catch and release.
http://backloggery.com/auginiste
#56LordOfLegaciesPosted 3/19/2014 7:31:14 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...
My addiction was more real than anyone else's because it happened to me.

Swing and a miss.
---
Me: Nobody takes the appeal system seriously so nobody cares if you remove their appeal privileges. *removes my appeal privilages*
#57thelocalhentaiPosted 3/19/2014 7:37:17 PM
Delete your time waster bookmarks. Delete saved passwords.

READ A BOOK.

Go outside, even if you are by yourself. Find new friends, hang out with them. Join a band.

READ A BOOK OUTSIDE.

Personally, the biggest thing is getting yourself a productive hobby. From experience, spending so much time on the internet means there are things wrong with your life (which you may not have control over), try solving them. When your life seems less of a mess, you won't try to escape so much.
#58DaedalusExPosted 3/19/2014 8:03:43 PM
In the 50's they hooked up the brains of rats to machines which stimulated their norephedrine pathways after they pressed a button so many times. It felt so good to the rats that they stopped eating and mating, and literally pushed the button until they died.

Point being, I think anyone suggesting willpower or "manning up" as a way to overcome addiction has a very poor understanding of neurobiology.
#59JKatarnPosted 3/19/2014 8:05:32 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...
JKatarn posted...
Who are you to define what is/isn't a "legitimate" addiction? Have you ever heard of the show "my strange addiction" - people can and do have some very strong, very unusual addictions/compulsions. Also, as I stated earlier, addictions are typically a symptom of some underlying anxieties/stresses that are being pushed to the side by indulging in the addiction. You are correct in that people ultimately need to develop a strong desire to overcome their addiction, but your faceless false bravado isn't helping. Addictions/anxieties can be complex and difficult things to overcome - were overcoming them as simple as "manning up", there would of course be no need for mental health professionals, life coaches etc. - and it's certainly not healthy to repress your anxieties/stresses without really dealing with them while affecting a false "macho" demeanor.

You're putting words in my mouth, attempting to belittle or downplay what I've experienced, and attempting to pass off a reality television show as a credible source?
You're talking out of your ass. You don't know s*** and I don't need to explain myself to you any further. We're done here.

This isn't an academic paper, I was merely citing that show as an example of strange addictions/compulsions, and you sir were the one "downplaying" serious addiction problems with your glib/non-helpful "man up" response. I have no knowledge of what you have/have not gone through, but if you're like most people, you would have needed the help of a doctor/counselor etc. to overcome it if it were indeed a serious addiction as "manning up" is rarely enough to overcome a serious physical/psychological issue/dependancy.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#60LordOfLegaciesPosted 3/19/2014 8:28:10 PM
The more you say on this matter, the more certain I am that the extent of your knowledge on this subject is from a highschool psychology 101 class.
---