This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just bought the Oculus Rift DK2... WOOO!!!

#11PhilOnDezPosted 3/19/2014 6:28:30 PM
If you can run games at 60fps/1080p you can game at 60fps on the Rift. The new dev kit has a pair of 960x1080 screens.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#12-5xad0w-Posted 3/19/2014 7:07:16 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
If you can run games at 60fps/1080p you can game at 60fps on the Rift. The new dev kit has a pair of 960x1080 screens.

That's not entirely accurate.

It's a single screen, split via software essentially. Which means your GPU is actually rendering 2 separate sets of images, which does stress your system more.

It's not the same as just having the image mirrored since there needs to be an offset to create the stereoscopic effect.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#13Bazooka_PenguinPosted 3/19/2014 7:47:08 PM
-5xad0w- posted...
PhilOnDez posted...

It's a single screen, split via software essentially. Which means your GPU is actually rendering 2 separate sets of images, which does stress your system more.

It's not the same as just having the image mirrored since there needs to be an offset to create the stereoscopic effect.

I think he's referring to the fact that it's half resolution each.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#14-5xad0w-Posted 3/19/2014 8:05:30 PM
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
-5xad0w- posted...
PhilOnDez posted...

You mean the effective screens? Yeah.

You would be running the game itself at a normal resolution though for it to work on the rift. (1280x800 is the usual standard for DK1, so I'd assume 1920x1080 for DK2 following the same formula)

Even though the screen is small, and each eye seems to be getting the image at a pretty low impact resolution in terms of the power to process it, the fact that the game/software has to render the image at an effective higher resolution (twice) results is lower performance vs. just playing the game at 1080p.

I guess the easiest way to think of it would be playing a modern game at 1080p but rendering it twice at the full resolution.

Then sending it to an old 800x600 CRT monitor. The fact it is being sent and displayed on a smaller screen doesn't alleviate any of the stress the GPU is going through to render it double at a higher resolution.

This doesn't mean that performance is cut in half strictly speaking, but there is an impact on FPS when playing driver retrofitted games. (can't really compare native apps)
---
#15foxyReyoko(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2014 8:14:35 PM
Ikari Gendo and -5xad0w-... how do you guys like the DK1? I never tried it, can't wait to get my hands on DK2

kelemvor posted...
As far as computer hardware, I don't think the Occulus Rift needs an expensive video card to push that many pixels. A regular quad core computer with a mid-range dedicated GPU should be fine, right?

At any rate, $800 should be more than enough. I know my i5 2500K/GTX 660 build will work.

I hear otherwise... I want at least an i7, 16GB of RAM, and a newer card than GTX 660 (didn't that come out a while ago) Maybe like like two R9 280x... but I dunno what's the best bang for the buck. I heard there was something called Nvidia Maxwell coming out? And are you sure I can build a gaming PC like this for $800? I was expecting more

I'm willing to go around $1200.... maybe a little more if it's worth it-5xad0w- posted...
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
-5xad0w- posted...
PhilOnDez posted...

You mean the effective screens? Yeah.

You would be running the game itself at a normal resolution though for it to work on the rift. (1280x800 is the usual standard for DK1, so I'd assume 1920x1080 for DK2 following the same formula)

Even though the screen is small, and each eye seems to be getting the image at a pretty low impact resolution in terms of the power to process it, the fact that the game/software has to render the image at an effective higher resolution (twice) results is lower performance vs. just playing the game at 1080p.

I guess the easiest way to think of it would be playing a modern game at 1080p but rendering it twice at the full resolution.

Then sending it to an old 800x600 CRT monitor. The fact it is being sent and displayed on a smaller screen doesn't alleviate any of the stress the GPU is going through to render it double at a higher resolution.

This doesn't mean that performance is cut in half strictly speaking, but there is an impact on FPS when playing driver retrofitted games. (can't really compare native apps)

So what specs do you recommend?
---
METAL GEAR SOLID 4 GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS [06.12.2008]
`._.
#16Ikari GendoPosted 3/19/2014 10:10:08 PM
I think it's incredible, but it obviously has a lot of technical limitations. Motion blur is pretty heavy, which induces a lot of motion sickness in people. The response time is slightly noticeable, also having a weird effect. And of course, the obvious crappy resolution.

Yet it's still incredible, and everyone I've shown is still blown away by it. The DK2 is probably night and day still.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#17-5xad0w-Posted 3/19/2014 11:26:29 PM
I enjoy it even though I suffered from pretty bad sim sickness the first month or so. Now I can stay in VR for a couple hours with no issues.

Half-Life 2 is amazing despite not being designed with VR in mind originally. Probably the best example of an FPS on the rift right now.

I think flight and driving games (or anything where you are seated in the game as well as the real world) feel the best though.

The thing I want the most is a Wizardry/Dungeon Master style RPG/first person dungeon crawl.

The Dreadhalls demo just makes me want something like that even more. (it's more horror, but really makes you feel like you are in a gloomy dungeon)

As far as specs, dunno.

I've ran it on a 5770/FX-4100 fine with some concessions on driver retrofitted games and zero problems with any native app.

In general, if you can run the game comfortably normally, you can run it on the rift. Perhaps with some lowered settings if it's demanding.
---
#18thatfool12GsPosted 3/20/2014 12:26:19 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#19PsythikPosted 3/20/2014 2:01:42 AM(edited)
$800 Build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3d65u

$1200 Build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3d6aG

Didn't put much thought into the cases because I don't know what you like. Feel free to change it.

I'd recommend going with the $1200 build because like -5xad0w- said, the Rift has to render 1920x1080 twice (once for each eye) then downscale it to 960x1080 per eye, and the GPU in the $800 build simply isn't powerful enough to handle that if you plan on cranking the graphics settings to the max.

I know this because I own the GPU in the $800 build, and use the same 3D software with my 3D projector that the Rift does to convert games to 3D that don't have native support. (TriDef Ignition)
---
4670K | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | BitFenix Phenom M (white) | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#20Ikari GendoPosted 3/20/2014 5:19:26 AM
Oh yeah, Half Life 2 is a totally different experience with it. The sense of scale is breathtaking.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA