This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steelseries Engine not detecting headset.

#1ShuraYukihimePosted 3/19/2014 1:03:50 PM
New headset and mouse arrived. I plugged the mouse in, downloaded the Steelseries Engine. Installed it and everything is peachy. I open the headset plug it in. WIndows detects it. Sound plays through it. Steelseries Engine doesn't detect it.

So I uninstall the engine and reinstall it with the headset plugged in this time, thinking maybe that was an issue. No difference.

Both devices are the Diablo 3 branded ones. Not sure if that makes a difference. OS is Windows 8.1.
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
#2ShuraYukihime(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2014 3:10:26 AM
Bump.
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
#3squarenixfan119Posted 3/20/2014 4:16:03 AM
Did you restart your computer?
---
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2705976737.png
#4ShuraYukihime(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2014 5:46:21 AM
squarenixfan119 posted...
Did you restart your computer?

Here is the list of things I did.
-restarted
-Tried SSE 3.2 (Which didn't recognize the mouse or headset)
-Uninstalled and reinstalled the engine with just the headset attached.
-Unplugged and replugged in the headset with the engine running and not running.
-I tried running the firmware update tool but it told me the headset was not attached.

The laptop and Windows both recognize the device. Sound plays through it. I can select it or the speakers in Windows own sound manager.

I mean ultimately it's only a minor gripe. But if you make software for devices it should work with them.

Submitting a ticket for assistance on their official site was a nightmare in it's own. Had to make an account. The verification email link failed due to "too many redirects". But I guess it worked eventually. Waiting on their response. Hoping it's not just a canned "Have you tried jiggling the cord" suggestion. (Which I did just to be safe.)

In hindsight I'm not sure if the mic functions. I didn't see a reason, or a way, to test it.
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
#5ShubPosted 3/20/2014 6:39:22 AM
I'm not familiar with Steelseries products in general, so this is just a semi-idle thought: is your headset even supported by their Engine software?
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6ShuraYukihime(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2014 7:15:39 AM
Shub posted...
I'm not familiar with Steelseries products in general, so this is just a semi-idle thought: is your headset even supported by their Engine software?

It is.

http://steelseries.com/us/products/games/diablo-iii/steelseries-diablo-iii-headset

It's that one. The downloads page has the same engine if I pick the mouse or headset. (I've tried both installs in case there was a difference. There isn't.)

I'm wondering if the issue lies somewhere in Windows 8.1 as I've read the engine had issues with 8.1 for a while but had since been fixed.
---
Pulvis et umbra sumus.