This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is 90-100 dollars normal to get a tech person to install your operating system?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. is 90-100 dollars normal to get a tech person to install your operating system?
1 year ago#21
It's a common price, but there's little reason not to do it yourself. You should be able to pay them just to put your computer together, if you want, and not have them install that OS.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/arthasreborn
http://i.imgur.com/0Zamww5.jpg http://i.imgur.com/PDgXlnY.jpg
1 year ago#22
chandl34 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Clearly we have a lot of folks who think businesses are charities.

$100 (or more) an hour for unskilled labor? That's ~$200,000 a year, at 40 hours a week.

obviously the guy at geek squad is pocketing all 100 dollars of that. they arent using it to pay for things like, the building and the managers and insurance and electricity and marketing.
---
^ this
1 year ago#23
chandl34 posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Clearly we have a lot of folks who think businesses are charities.

$100 (or more) an hour for unskilled labor? That's ~$200,000 a year, at 40 hours a week.

For the business sure. Tech's probably not much above minimum wage. Not that it much matters. You're paying for bench time not complexity.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
1 year ago#24
Yes, I mean for the business.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
1 year ago#25
$90-100 is not bad if they are providing you with a windows key. If you have your own then its not worth it. Over here there is a Frys store by me and they charge about $95 total to put your pc together and install the os with all updated drivers.
---
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]
1 year ago#26
TheSchref posted...
It's been about 4 years since I've done it. I'm pretty sure these are the steps, correct me if I'm wrong (I honestly don't remember):

1. Put in CD
2. Press 'OK'
3. Wait
4. Good job!

You forgot to add "push any key to boot from CD"
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
1 year ago#27
Let me put it to you another way. Space is not unlimited, resources are not unlimited, technicians are not unlimited and they generally aren't on commission either. Why would they cut you a break on a minimum of an hour worth of bench time for a simple task? If they were going to charge by difficulty why would they even look your way when their time could be filled by customers with more profitable requests?

And to the people severely undercutting market value for services... pray to god you never do it professionally. You'll have more work than you can handle and if you don't smarten up about economics you'll work yourself to death on charity cases with nothing to show for it but more people wanting to use you for dirt cheap service.
---
1 year ago#28
More complex tasks likely can't as easily be done in parallel.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
1 year ago#29
And you think that's relevant why? You going to pull more bench space out of your ass to do those 8 simple jobs that require as much attention as two complex ones?
---
1 year ago#30
No, but the option is available. I'm not saying the two complex jobs should be 4x the price of the simple ones, but they shouldn't be equal.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. is 90-100 dollars normal to get a tech person to install your operating system?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived