This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is 90-100 dollars normal to get a tech person to install your operating system?

#31reincarnator07Posted 3/19/2014 5:31:53 PM
Install it yourself, it's pretty much idiot proof these days. Don't leave yourself at the mercy of these "tech people" when you can do it all yourself with ease.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#32Orestes417Posted 3/19/2014 5:32:12 PM
So when you're sitting at work you'd be fine with your employer cutting your paycheck in relation to the difficulty of the task regardless of how many hours you spend doing it? I'm sure they'd be ecstatic to hear that.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#33LordOfLegaciesPosted 3/19/2014 5:36:15 PM
Edavy89 posted...
It better come with a blowjob on delivery for 100 bucks.

This. F*** those guys, install it yourself. It'll take an hour tops to get everything running and it's not difficult in the slightest. Even if it doesn't download and install all necessary drivers by itself (which it almost certainly will) it'll tell you exactly what drivers you need.
Tell whatever IT service you're using to go f*** themselves.
---
Me: Nobody takes the appeal system seriously so nobody cares if you remove their appeal privileges. *removes my appeal privilages*
Yep, sure f***ing showed me.
#34chandl34Posted 3/19/2014 5:38:30 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
So when you're sitting at work you'd be fine with your employer cutting your paycheck in relation to the difficulty of the task regardless of how many hours you spend doing it? I'm sure they'd be ecstatic to hear that.

As we said, it's the business that gets less money. If the managers don't ask their workers to multi-task while working simple jobs like that, they deserve to lose the money. Do these shops normally let their workers click a button, then do nothing for 15 minutes while the progress bar fills up? I've never worked a low-paying job like that.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#35turbogoonPosted 3/19/2014 5:37:15 PM
Tc 10/10 nice troll topic.
#36Hi CPosted 3/19/2014 5:49:57 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Let me put it to you another way. Space is not unlimited, resources are not unlimited, technicians are not unlimited and they generally aren't on commission either. Why would they cut you a break on a minimum of an hour worth of bench time for a simple task? If they were going to charge by difficulty why would they even look your way when their time could be filled by customers with more profitable requests?

And to the people severely undercutting market value for services... pray to god you never do it professionally. You'll have more work than you can handle and if you don't smarten up about economics you'll work yourself to death on charity cases with nothing to show for it but more people wanting to use you for dirt cheap service.

Or they could end up like Walmart. and YOUR business will end up like everyone else after Walmart.

All consumer level tech work is 90% scam anyway. Those people shouldn't even have PC's. It's like old people getting conned out of their retirement funds.
---
You'll be my John G.
#37Orestes417Posted 3/19/2014 5:51:36 PM
I'd like to see some of these kids end up with walmart level workloads. It'd be hilarious watching comprehension set in.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#38lost_withinPosted 3/19/2014 5:54:47 PM
That is about what we would charge to install an OS at our store...then on up if it involved moving data, or stuff like that...
---
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity."
Harlan Ellison
#39chandl34Posted 3/19/2014 6:10:55 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
I'd like to see some of these kids end up with walmart level workloads. It'd be hilarious watching comprehension set in.

It's when you start working office jobs that it starts to go the other way, at least in my experience. I went into my first office jobs with the same work ethic I had from working at Target (and similar jobs), and my bosses told me to relax more and spend more time walking around and talking to people. Politics over productivity.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#40Ivany2008(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2014 6:36:56 PM
i actually know how much they pay their employees. One of my buddies got a job interview there, they pay 12 an hour starting out, but have no benefits.

he pretty much told them no chance. He's getting 13 an hour working at wal-mart with full benefits