This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is 90-100 dollars normal to get a tech person to install your operating system?

#41MisterSpliffPosted 3/19/2014 5:59:07 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#42AtomicPenguin76Posted 3/19/2014 6:22:27 PM
This thread reminds me of why I quit coming to this site.

Yeah, it's normal.

It's easy, and you can probably do it yourself. If you have a problem, though, you're on your own. If you paid for the installation, they need to account for that and make sure it gets installed anyway. It's not difficult, but it's time consuming and that's what you're paying for; in the event something goes wrong with the install, it becomes time consuming enough that it probably wasn't worth what they charged you for them.

It's not any different than paying someone to do your taxes. You could do it yourself for cheaper, but if you don't have the knowledge to do it or correct problems and mistakes along the way you're better off hiring someone.

If you don't want to pay it, do it yourself. Even if you can, that doesn't mean a place that charges to do it is screwing you.
#43SnipeStarPosted 3/19/2014 6:26:28 PM
its like paying someone 50 bucks to tie your shoes
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#44TimePharaohPosted 3/19/2014 6:41:51 PM
You might as well go ahead and throw your computer in the garbage, you're in for a rough ride.

AtomicPenguin76 posted...
This thread reminds me of why I quit coming to this site.

Yeah, it's normal.

It's easy, and you can probably do it yourself. If you have a problem, though, you're on your own. If you paid for the installation, they need to account for that and make sure it gets installed anyway. It's not difficult, but it's time consuming and that's what you're paying for; in the event something goes wrong with the install, it becomes time consuming enough that it probably wasn't worth what they charged you for them.

It's not any different than paying someone to do your taxes. You could do it yourself for cheaper, but if you don't have the knowledge to do it or correct problems and mistakes along the way you're better off hiring someone.

If you don't want to pay it, do it yourself. Even if you can, that doesn't mean a place that charges to do it is screwing you.

What exactly can you do wrong? You stick in a disc and press about three options, then let it sit for 15 minutes. It's neither time consuming nor can anything go wrong. And even if it could....what's the worst that happens? The OS you didn't have corrupts? So....you do it again with nothing lost?
#45LordSeiferPosted 3/19/2014 6:46:43 PM(edited)

its a good analogy actually.

get tax software, input your numbers into the appropriate boxes, click next, boom, taxes finished.
not hard.
---
^ this
#46PraetorXynPosted 3/19/2014 6:51:50 PM
LordSeifer posted...

its a good analogy actually.

get tax software, input your numbers into the appropriate boxes, click next, boom, taxes finished.
not hard.

You don't even have to do that anymore. I just put in a couple of ID numbers off my W-2 and it puts in all the other numbers for me >_>.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#47PraetorXynPosted 3/19/2014 6:55:30 PM
It's a standard price. They know that the only people braindead enough to ask someone else to install Windows for them are stupid enough to pay that price.

If it was Linux, and they were going to set you up, install the right packages, make the configuration files etc. right, it might be worth paying for the convenience.

But a Windows install literally amounts to:
1. Insert USB drive / DVD
2. Enter License Key
3. Allocate drive space/format
4. Click Next until you can't anymore
5. Wait a few minutes (or 15 if you don't have a SSD)
6. Enter username etc. when asked for it.
7. If you're on Windows 8 or higher set up a Microsoft account if you don't have one already, log in to one if you do.

Ta Da. That'll be $100.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#48Ch3wyPosted 3/19/2014 6:56:03 PM
I just put my W-2 in an envelope stapled to a note that says "Do it yourself, ***holes" and then mail that to the IRS.
---
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001
#49adjlPosted 3/19/2014 6:56:36 PM
Is it normal? Yes. Is it worthwhile? No. You can do it yourself for far less than that, and it really doesn't require much by way of technical competency. Heck, most of the process is the same stuff you have to go through the first time you boot up a new prebuilt.
#50SlaynPosted 3/19/2014 6:57:53 PM
When I worked at Fry's a system build was $80, $20 more for OS installation.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.