This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is 90-100 dollars normal to get a tech person to install your operating system?

#61supness420Posted 3/19/2014 8:13:33 PM
Most of the people here are just proud to claim that an "OS Install" is easy to them. Many, many people do not have the slightest clue about computers. Yes, they could probably do it if they sat down and tried, just as I could change my oil, but I would rather pay someone and just have the crap done. 90 is a bit high though. 60-70$ would probably be a fair price from a business standpoint regardless of what the people here say. All I can say is this: give the OS install a try. If you can't do it, then you can't do it, but, unlike changing your oil, you can't break anything. If it doesn't get installed correctly, then start pricing PC shops to install it. They will just erase the HDD with a fresh OS install anyway.
---
Common sense has changed as the common person's sense is idiotic; therefore, I am happy to say I am not common, and I have no common sense.
#62ArthasRebornPosted 3/19/2014 8:21:39 PM
supness420 posted...
Most of the people here are just proud to claim that an "OS Install" is easy to them. Many, many people do not have the slightest clue about computers. Yes, they could probably do it if they sat down and tried, just as I could change my oil, but I would rather pay someone and just have the crap done. 90 is a bit high though. 60-70$ would probably be a fair price from a business standpoint regardless of what the people here say. All I can say is this: give the OS install a try. If you can't do it, then you can't do it, but, unlike changing your oil, you can't break anything. If it doesn't get installed correctly, then start pricing PC shops to install it. They will just erase the HDD with a fresh OS install anyway.

TC said he built a computer. I figured if someone invested that level of time into learning how to put one together, they'd be savvy enough to install the OS themselves too.
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/arthasreborn
http://i.imgur.com/0Zamww5.jpg http://i.imgur.com/PDgXlnY.jpg
#63KarnRX78Posted 3/19/2014 8:26:37 PM
If you have ever installed anything, the OS is no different. I can understand having someone put the PC together (Even though it isn't hard to do). But the OS, hell if I could charge people $90 to do that I'd do it.
---
21B64R09E14A35K92T29H45E17W43A82L95L19S57D36O18W39N8Y2J
(V)0-0(V) This is Mudcrab. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him achieve world Domination.
#64Ivany2008(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2014 8:35:19 PM(edited)
i haven't installed an operating system in about 11 years, and back then, windows xp was barely out and we were doing it on win 98 computers. I followed a Carey Holzman video on how to put together the computer a couple months ago as i didn't remember how to put together a computer since then.

I was 16 at the time, barely in college, and lazy as hell. Didn't care one bit to pay attention to details, spending most of my time playing medal of honor and diablo on the schools computers during classes(yeah, bad decision on my part), and am only now starting to relearn the things that I barely learned back then.

The reason I'm not putting it together again is because I screwed up when putting my computer together the first time. First a screw went missing and I had to wait half a month to get a new one shipped out, then the case was screwed up and the graphics card wouldn't fit into that case(despite it saying it would on pcpartpicker) so I had to wait a month and a half to get it RMA'd and a different one shipped. I barely have the time or the patience to do it again what with my really heavy work schedule. The reason it took this long was because I live on the eastern side of Canada and we had all those heavy snowstorms which messed up shipping schedules.

I bought all the stuff December 26th, 2013 from the Boxing day sales, and got them all about 3 weeks later. I'm just praying to god theres nothing else wrong with the parts prior to me getting it fully built. I remember how the parts are supposed to look inside the case, so I will be taking a second look as soon as the machine is back to me.
#65ArkonBladePosted 3/19/2014 8:28:30 PM
Installing the OS is super easy a Monkey could do it. Just put in the disc , enter the key when you need to, and you are pretty much done.
---
PC game sales= more games then you could ever dream of owning.
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#66Cha0sFinalePosted 3/19/2014 8:38:42 PM
That is a pretty normal price.

Whether or not its worth it to you, depends on your PC experience. A lot of people in this thread scoff at how easy it is to install an OS, but that's because you already have PC experience. To someone who has little to no experience, and has no willingness to learn/follow a guide, that's the price they will have to pay.

It's no different than say, a car mechanics work. Sure, to them, installing brakes or changing tires is easy peasy, but to others, they would have no clue where to start. But they will sure as heck charge you 50 bucks just to look at the car, let alone do any work on it.

That's just how specialized industries work.
#67BasilVZeroPosted 3/19/2014 8:43:25 PM
Ripoff.

Use a smartphone, tablet or another laptop/desktop and search for a guide on how to install OS or watch a YouTube video.

No way you should be shelling out $100 to install a operating system.
---
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/BasilZero
#68TimePharaohPosted 3/19/2014 8:48:54 PM
Cha0sFinale posted...

Whether or not its worth it to you, depends on your PC experience. A lot of people in this thread scoff at how easy it is to install an OS, but that's because you already have PC experience. To someone who has little to no experience, and has no willingness to learn/follow a guide, that's the price they will have to pay.

It's no different than say, a car mechanics work. Sure, to them, installing brakes or changing tires is easy peasy, but to others, they would have no clue where to start. But they will sure as heck charge you 50 bucks just to look at the car, let alone do any work on it.

The difference being installing brakes or changing tires takes actual effort...and things can go wrong....and doing it wrong could have terrible consequences.

You're comparing that to "stick a disc in the one hole it fits in, press the next button"?

GG humanity
#69dormcastePosted 3/19/2014 8:56:57 PM
That's a lot of money for something so simple
#70Cha0sFinalePosted 3/19/2014 8:58:07 PM(edited)
TimePharaoh posted...
Cha0sFinale posted...

The difference being installing brakes or changing tires takes actual effort...and things can go wrong....and doing it wrong could have terrible consequences.

You're comparing that to "stick a disc in the one hole it fits in, press the next button"?

GG humanity

Way to take it out of context. I wasn't comparing how more important it is, or whether or not it would have severe consequences. I was simply stating all of these services are part of a specialized industry, where if you don't have the skills, or the willingness to learn how to do it, you will have to pay someone to do it for you.

But I forgot that GameFAQs is serious business, amirite? SMH....