This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is 90-100 dollars normal to get a tech person to install your operating system?

#71TimePharaohPosted 3/19/2014 9:03:28 PM
Cha0sFinale posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Cha0sFinale posted...
That is a pretty normal price.

Whether or not its worth it to you, depends on your PC experience. A lot of people in this thread scoff at how easy it is to install an OS, but that's because you already have PC experience. To someone who has little to no experience, and has no willingness to learn/follow a guide, that's the price they will have to pay.

It's no different than say, a car mechanics work. Sure, to them, installing brakes or changing tires is easy peasy, but to others, they would have no clue where to start. But they will sure as heck charge you 50 bucks just to look at the car, let alone do any work on it.

That's just how specialized industries work.

The difference being installing brakes or changing tires takes actual effort...and things can go wrong....and doing it wrong could have terrible consequences.

You're comparing that to "stick a disc in the one hole it fits in, press the next button"?

GG humanity

Way to take it out of context. I wasn't comparing how more important it is, or whether or not it would have severe consequences. I was simply stating all of these services are part of a specialized industry, where if you don't have the skills, or the willingness to learn how to do it, you will have to pay someone to do it for you.

But I forgot that GameFAQs is serious business, amirite? SMH....

Which still makes it a terrible analogy because installing Windows takes literally no skill or willingness to learn anything. You don't even need the "skill" of basic reading, you can just press the arrow and type in aighjasigha in any blank space if you want.

A better analogy would be knowing how to plug in a TV.
#72Cha0sFinalePosted 3/19/2014 9:10:26 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Cha0sFinale posted...

Way to take it out of context. I wasn't comparing how more important it is, or whether or not it would have severe consequences. I was simply stating all of these services are part of a specialized industry, where if you don't have the skills, or the willingness to learn how to do it, you will have to pay someone to do it for you.

But I forgot that GameFAQs is serious business, amirite? SMH....

Which still makes it a terrible analogy because installing Windows takes literally no skill or willingness to learn anything. You don't even need the "skill" of basic reading, you can just press the arrow and type in aighjasigha in any blank space if you want.

A better analogy would be knowing how to plug in a TV.

For YOU, it takes literally no skill to install Windows. For someone who has no PC experience, they probably wouldn't know where to start. Do you not understand just how many people out there that have no clue what they are doing when it comes to PC's?

Stop being so ignorant.
#73thelocalhentaiPosted 3/19/2014 9:29:24 PM
Chaos has it right. As the "family/friend" tech, some people just don't know how to do anything outside of pressing the internet button and the windows start button. When you mention dos, their eyes glaze over and that's not even scratching the surface of things like regedit or even installing avast. I want to tell them "Go to hell, I want to go do my own thing rather than deal with your unwillingness to learn." but that's obviously not possible.

Also, it's not just installing the OS, which does take time. I'm not sure about any of you guys but my time is worth a billion dollars per minute, since I will never get any of those minutes back. OP also mentioned installation of driver files, which may or may not even be easily accessible. That also takes time.

So to the point, HOW much is YOUR time worth? Sure, you can install it yourself, that's easy but it also takes time, would you rather be out hanging out with your friends/significant other while someone else is working on your computer or would you rather install your own SSD, your own OS, and look through the internet to install your drivers? If your time is worth 20 dollars an hour, then do it yourself, learn like the rest of us, it's not hard. Is the value of new knowledge worth more than how much your time is worth? Great, you can even come out on top. 90 dollars IS a bit of money but if you are going to do something worth much more than that then it's absolutely a bargain.
#74Skul_Posted 3/19/2014 10:44:05 PM
Ship me your SSD and a license key, ill install windows on the SSD and ship it back to you. You just pay shipping.

Seriously though, its easy just do it yourself.
---
i5-2500::GTX770::8GB
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH
#75ExaviorPosted 3/19/2014 10:59:31 PM
We charge $99.99 to do an OS install at my store. Another $10 if you want us to upgrade you to 8.1
$79.99 if you want your data (Pictures/Documents, No programs) moved over.
$29.99 for each individual software install.
uhmm... $69.99 hourly labor charge...
..I dont know what else i could throw ontop of that.
Internal Component Installation, $39.99?
That's it. :P
---
League of Legends - GBanks
Kennen all day errday.
#76RyuuHou25Posted 3/19/2014 11:13:24 PM
Yes, it's a simplistic process, it's also generally time consuming and they have finite space to have computers hooked up and plugged in and what not people. Also, unless the store is family run, those labor charges go to more than just labor.

Also, to whoever said unskilled labor earlier in this thread, are you f****** kidding me? Clearly never seen what it takes to get certified for simple jobs like that or what some places require for education for those types of jobs. Unskilled my ass.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
This is what you sound like to me when you ask something obvious/staring you in the face - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGiTVdVu1A
#77turtlebeach21Posted 3/19/2014 11:19:38 PM
pc gaming aint for you, stick to consoles haha
#78myztikricePosted 3/20/2014 12:05:26 AM
thelocalhentai posted...
Chaos has it right. As the "family/friend" tech, some people just don't know how to do anything outside of pressing the internet button and the windows start button. When you mention dos, their eyes glaze over and that's not even scratching the surface of things like regedit or even installing avast.

Fortunately none of those have to do with installing Windows
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
#79odcrl001Posted 3/20/2014 12:09:15 AM
Anyone here need my help?
My rates are:
Installing Anti Virus - $50
Making PC faster - $30

That's cheap compared to Officemax
---
You think your being funny?