This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would a Linux distro have to offer in order for you to switch from Windows?

#1runromPosted 3/20/2014 8:41:32 AM
80/80

What would a Linux distro need to have that would make you switch over from Windows?
---
MBP 2009 | i5 3570k @ 4.4ghz | AMD 7870 | PS Vita | Nintendo 3DS | HP Touchpad
Now part of the 500 posts club.
#2ChetyrePosted 3/20/2014 8:43:37 AM
Linux is already better at everything except gaming. I even use a windows virtual machine for my games from a linux host instead of dual booting
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#3JrTapia1991Posted 3/20/2014 8:44:42 AM
not having to paste a bunch of code from google into the terminal to download a program, and being compatible with alot more games. I like how it runs well on older hardware though.
---
"Human history is a litany of blood, shed over ideals of rulership and afterlife."-Legion
#4Orestes417Posted 3/20/2014 8:48:51 AM(edited)
Been using *nix for longer than some posters have been alive, never really seen a compelling reason to "switch" though. Even if you took gaming out of the picture and added complete parity in all other areas between the two OS ecosystems you'd still be artificially limiting your options by settling on one side or the other.

So I guess my answer would have to be Windows ceasing to exist as a factor in modern IT.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#5PyrotechnixxxPosted 3/20/2014 8:49:14 AM
1. A comprehensive GUI so I don't have to memorize/Google terminal commands to do basic tasks like install programs.
2. Programs or alternatives to give me the same functionality I have in windows. (Things like Rainmeter, Dropbox, CoreTemp, Skype, TeamSpeak, Hamachi, FRAPS, etc)
3. Hot Dog Stand color scheme as an option.
---
Fear is a leash.
#6ChetyrePosted 3/20/2014 8:53:22 AM
Pyrotechnixxx posted...
1. A comprehensive GUI so I don't have to memorize/Google terminal commands to do basic tasks like install programs.
2. Programs or alternatives to give me the same functionality I have in windows. (Things like Rainmeter, Dropbox, CoreTemp, Skype, TeamSpeak, Hamachi, FRAPS, etc)
3. Hot Dog Stand color scheme as an option.

So why aren't you using linux already? All those things you listed are available. Though you might have to tweak the Hot Dog Stand scheme yourself, it will be easy.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#7godplaysSNESPosted 3/20/2014 8:54:21 AM
Support for all non-Linux games

I can confess I have very little experience of Linux compared to others here.
But in order for it to be easy for new users, one really must be able to simply double click on a file to install, with no dependency on the terminal whatsoever.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#8PyrotechnixxxPosted 3/20/2014 8:55:19 AM
Let me know when I can run my entire Steam library on Linux.
---
Fear is a leash.
#9AlexKidd5000Posted 3/20/2014 10:30:21 AM
JrTapia1991 posted...
not having to paste a bunch of code from google into the terminal to download a program, and being compatible with alot more games. I like how it runs well on older hardware though.

You don't HAVE to use the terminal to install software. There are GUI software managers that are easy as pie to use.
#10arleasPosted 3/20/2014 10:37:53 AM
I've used linux/unix in some form or another since 1994 (though not solely) and really there have been many versions of linux that would come very close to the functionality of windows for... except for gaming, which was either non-existent at the time, or was one of those "hobbyist level" deals...where it would work, but only if you were REALLY dedicated to making it work.

So really, if Linux had gaming locked down the way windows has it right now, I'd switch for good.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png