This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would a Linux distro have to offer in order for you to switch from Windows?

#11AlexKidd5000Posted 3/20/2014 10:45:55 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
Support for all non-Linux games

I can confess I have very little experience of Linux compared to others here.
But in order for it to be easy for new users, one really must be able to simply double click on a file to install, with no dependency on the terminal whatsoever.

godplaysSNES posted...
Support for all non-Linux games

I can confess I have very little experience of Linux compared to others here.
But in order for it to be easy for new users, one really must be able to simply double click on a file to install, with no dependency on the terminal whatsoever.

Obviously Linux is getting alot more games lately. The terminal is completely optional, unless your system got screwed up by a virus somehow, or simply by user error, and you need to fix it from a straight command line.
#12halomonkey1_3_5Posted 3/20/2014 10:47:24 AM
I'll switch to Linux when its a forgone conclusion that major titles support it. Almost never do PC gamers have to worry if Windows is going to be supported when someone says a game is coming to PC(at least when talking about modern games and not crappy knockoffs/etc). Same thing with drivers. If I go buy some PC hardware peripheral, I can safely assume it'll (officially) have support for Windows. Not true with Linux(or even OS X, for that matter).

I actually used Linux for a number of months(shortly after Vista was released, IIRC), but I always had to boot into Windows for certain things that either flat out didnt work on Linux or was a major pain in the butt and then when Windows 7 rolled around and basically fixed everything that Vista screwed up, I gave up on Linux since Windows was (once again) the path of least resistance.
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#13popping4itPosted 3/20/2014 10:48:54 AM
even if linux were as good as windows in usability it would be tough to change.

OS is like car insurance you get one at the start and dont really think about ever again.
---
whens mahvel?
#14rpgianPosted 3/20/2014 10:55:26 AM
I do use it time to time but gaming and compatibility. I know it doesn't operate that way but I like my exe's. Installation on linux is a bit longer but more importantly NOT OFFERED or tucked away for many neat programs so without major nerdage and troubleshooting on the spot its a problem.

It's free and many versions are good to go with a ton of goodie programs right off the bat, its incredibly faster than windows and its doesn't have any of the bunkware or privacy concerns.

Its a great option to have but for it to be the default one all it needs is more people to use it so the world works with it instead of windows. Thats windows power. Legacy. Thats it. Get that and your golden.
#15WyzeGyePosted 3/20/2014 11:03:24 AM(edited)
JrTapia1991 posted...
not having to paste a bunch of code from google into the terminal to download a program, and being compatible with alot more games. I like how it runs well on older hardware though.

that sounds more like a personal problem to me.

it's not that hard to remember
apt-get install

or it's equivalents, and like the poster below me mentioned... there's tons of GUI package managers.

even building from source is super simple
./configure
make
make install

---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#16DawnshadowPosted 3/20/2014 11:00:58 AM
Game support. That's it. That's the only reason I switched back to Windows.

I used Linux for about six months TEN YEARS AGO, and software installation was already better than it is in modern Windows. In Windows, you download the installer, then you click next about ten times to install it, keeping an eagle eye out for attempts to install toolbars or other spamware.

In Linux? The version I used TEN YEARS AGO had basically a open source freeware app store with a GUI. You look through a menu of programs and just click install by anything you want, and it's installed for you, no questions asked. You could add other repositories-- collections of software-- easily. If they haven't improved upon it by now I'd be surprised.

I also honestly liked being able to install by command line, too. I would honestly rather open a command window and type apt-get firefox than open IE, go to the Firefox website, download the installer, close IE, then run the installer.
---
Pokemon X - 2664-2616-4997 - Munna, Sigilyph, Duosion - PM me!
#17Worknofun370Posted 3/20/2014 11:03:20 AM
rpgian posted...
I do use it time to time but gaming and compatibility. I know it doesn't operate that way but I like my exe's. Installation on linux is a bit longer but more importantly NOT OFFERED or tucked away for many neat programs so without major nerdage and troubleshooting on the spot its a problem.

What are you talking about? Are you talking specifically about running windows EXEs on linux and upset that it's "not offered"?
#18JrTapia1991Posted 3/20/2014 11:45:45 AM
to be honest I'm really new to linux, I do like it like the user posted "It's free and many versions are good to go with a ton of goodie programs right off the bat, its incredibly faster than windows and its doesn't have any of the bunkware or privacy concerns. "

I played around with Xubuntu and liked it. It's not the end of the world to have to go to the terminal, it's easy pasting in the code, but tbh I doubt I'll ever learn the code, short attention span, and I'm spoiled by a lifetime of Windows :P
---
"Human history is a litany of blood, shed over ideals of rulership and afterlife."-Legion
#19neroAngeloPosted 3/20/2014 11:49:35 AM
They'd have to make it as good as Windows.
---
PSWii360U - This is how I triforce http://i.imgur.com/9qF9vGa.jpg
i7 920 @3.3GHz, 6GB DDR3, 7850 2GB
#20ElDudorinoPosted 3/20/2014 11:52:35 AM
Games support. That's it. But I won't settle for 90% compatibility. I need all my games to work. Like another poster I too used to dual-boot Ubuntu and Vista but found I rarely wanted to use Linux because my games were all in Windows. Then Windows 7 beta came out and was already miles ahead of Vista so I blew away everything in favor of W7.

I still run Mint Mate on our old laptop since it's just for browsing and stuff, but my main computer is primarily for games.