This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would a Linux distro have to offer in order for you to switch from Windows?

#101ThatOneGuysHairPosted 3/28/2014 7:23:37 AM
the fact remains that until linux stops being garbage, nobody is going to use it.

1st of all, y should I have to sumo wrestle every single command 2 get it 2 run? absolutely ridiculous. whoever came up with this concept was drunk or dead at the time

then, linux doesn't even support directX. and you know openGL sucks because who is behind openGL... khronos group. it doesn't take a genius to see that with a name like that, ur group probably sucks and couldnt make a graphics layer to save a life. all the windows devs have cool names like RELOADED and COMODO, in all-caps so u know the product you are getting is built for durability and ruggedness

finally, many linux (or as I've taken to calling it, loonix, cuz u have to be a crazy loon to actually use it LOL) distros, or distrubutions, have what is known as "selinux" built in....

do you know who developed selinux? that's right, the NSA! if u use linux with selinux u might as well be beaming all ur data directly to uncle sam himself
#102Worknofun370Posted 3/28/2014 7:29:48 AM
ThatOneGuysHair posted...
the fact remains that until linux stops being garbage, nobody is going to use it.

1st of all, y should I have to sumo wrestle every single command 2 get it 2 run? absolutely ridiculous. whoever came up with this concept was drunk or dead at the time

then, linux doesn't even support directX. and you know openGL sucks because who is behind openGL... khronos group. it doesn't take a genius to see that with a name like that, ur group probably sucks and couldnt make a graphics layer to save a life. all the windows devs have cool names like RELOADED and COMODO, in all-caps so u know the product you are getting is built for durability and ruggedness

finally, many linux (or as I've taken to calling it, loonix, cuz u have to be a crazy loon to actually use it LOL) distros, or distrubutions, have what is known as "selinux" built in....

do you know who developed selinux? that's right, the NSA! if u use linux with selinux u might as well be beaming all ur data directly to uncle sam himself

This post is pure brilliance.

And sadly, will probably get some bites.
#103PraetorXynPosted 3/28/2014 5:35:44 PM
Sega9599 posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
Sega9599 posted...
If he is already ok with these things, why should he switch? We have to infer from his response that he is just listing things he gets from Windows, rather than giving an actual reason why he would switch over. Even if Linux does things better, why would he think of switching? Now with a Mac, it's seen as a viable commercial and retail choice and alternative, whereas Linux 'seems' more technical and confusing and requires a bit more effort.

Since the topic is "What would a Linux distro have to offer in order for you to switch from Windows?" and since he responded by listing those three things. It's logical to believe he's listing things that a linux distro would need to have to switch.

I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.

I'm not sure why you think this way. From his post, we have to infer that he isn't looking to switch from windows. We can't take it literally. If Linux offered those three things, would he go out and get it? Taken as a literal response to the topic title, yes, but taken as a more generalized accepted view of his post, he is just listing things that Linux would have to offer in order for him to CONSIDER a switch.

We can't assume that he will rush out and buy it the very next day. He might only switch the next time he needs to buy a new PC. That doesn't degrade Windows as under-performing for his needs right now, as the title seems to imply it SHOULD do.

If Linux and Windows done everything essentially the same, than why switch at all if you already have a windows OS? It's a unnecessary hassle,m and even if you don't think it is, it's more of a hassle to switch than to not switch.

GANONDORFIVY posted...
Be cheaper
Be fully compatible with all games supported for windows (emulators included)
Be fully supported by all hardware for gaming
Easier to use than windows
Less problematic than windows

THIS is a better list of reasons, because he;s talking about getting the same functionality with less problems and for a cheaper price. That makes sense, if Linux offered what this guy suggested, then I would switch. This would make it a viable option, in my opinion.

Be cheaper? Seriously?

What's cheaper than free?

The only time money comes into the equation with Linux is if you have a server running Red Hat and you can contract with Red Hat to support it in the event something goes wrong. This is something no sane individual would be doing.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#104TireseasPosted 3/28/2014 5:41:09 PM
With regards to cost, time and productivity equate more or less directly to money. If someone wants to argue that there's an opportunity cost incurred when switching between an environment they know and an environment they aren't yet up to speed on then that's a perfectly valid argument. How much of a cost is there depends on the individual use case. A professional artist for example would have a much greater legitimate cost than a kid sitting around listening to music and fragging people in the FPS du jour.
---
More and more, it feels like I'm doing a really bad impersonation of myself.
#105Darkcloud20Posted 3/29/2014 3:48:01 AM
Support for pretty much any PC game including games from the past. A linux version of Foobar2000. Support for or from some of the web content that uses flash or silverlight. Xinput support.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#106ShubPosted 3/29/2014 6:07:45 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
Sega9599 posted...
GANONDORFIVY posted...
Be cheaper
Be fully compatible with all games supported for windows (emulators included)
Be fully supported by all hardware for gaming
Easier to use than windows
Less problematic than windows

THIS is a better list of reasons, because he;s talking about getting the same functionality with less problems and for a cheaper price. That makes sense, if Linux offered what this guy suggested, then I would switch. This would make it a viable option, in my opinion.

Be cheaper? Seriously?

What's cheaper than free?

The only time money comes into the equation with Linux is if you have a server running Red Hat and you can contract with Red Hat to support it in the event something goes wrong. This is something no sane individual would be doing.

I struggled to understand that post when I first saw it, too, but I think he simply meant that Linux would have to be cheaper than Windows AND meet the other criteria. Obviously Linux already meets the price criterion.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#107Orestes417Posted 3/29/2014 7:04:08 AM
Silverlight is fairly easy these days. Just use pipelight
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#108spardasiegPosted 3/29/2014 8:06:52 AM
Pyrotechnixxx posted...
Let me know when I can run my entire Steam library on Linux.

Pretty much this, I do dual boot though because I find normal computing to be better on Linux in general.
---
My Photography and such: http://insidemyeyes.aminus3.com/ (I take pictures of unsuspecting people and inanimate objects for funsies mostly.)
#109Darkcloud20Posted 3/29/2014 8:14:08 AM
Orestes417 posted...

Oh I meant with the DRM support. The best of course would be if the content providesrs would move away from that stuff.
---
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987
#110Orestes417Posted 3/29/2014 8:18:46 AM
Darkcloud20 posted...
Orestes417 posted...

Oh I meant with the DRM support. The best of course would be if the content providesrs would move away from that stuff.

I did too. What pipelight does is allow the use of Windows plugins for watching DRM infested content.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together