This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would a Linux distro have to offer in order for you to switch from Windows?

#21PsythikPosted 3/20/2014 12:16:41 PM(edited)
1. Software support.
2. Install wizards. Ditching .tar.gz for an exe-like format.
3. Remove all reasons to have to go into the terminal or edit .conf files.
4. A more sensible file structure. Where exactly is the root folder located if all the drives are located in a folder inside it? It doesn't make any sense.
5. Drivers that work universally across all apps. Why would sound work in Konqueror by default but not Firefox?
---
4670K | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | BitFenix Phenom M (white) | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#22MarceloSampaioPosted 3/20/2014 12:06:42 PM
Compatibility with Windows-only software.

No, WINE doesn't count.
---
If Mario was made for PCs:
http://i.imgur.com/quKMdjB.jpg
#23Worknofun370Posted 3/20/2014 12:07:33 PM
Psythik posted...
4. A more sensible file structure. Where exactly is the root folder located if all the drives are located in a folder inside it? It doesn't make any sense.

I literally laughed out loud at this one. Linux's file structure is one of the best things about it. It makes complete and total sense, and thankfully... it's not going to change.
#24PsythikPosted 3/20/2014 12:08:47 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
Psythik posted...

I literally laughed out loud at this one. Linux's file structure is one of the best things about it. It makes complete and total sense, and thankfully... it's not going to change.
I just explained how it doesn't make sense, so I'd like to hear your logic on how it does.
---
4670K | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | BitFenix Phenom M (white) | Win8.1 Pro
#25Orestes417Posted 3/20/2014 12:10:50 PM
1. exists to at least the level of Windows, usually better if you don't like talking to friendly robots in Bangalore

2. Why on earth would we downgrade to standalone exe packages from cohesive repositories? the only time you should generally be ****ing with tarballs is if it's not already in your repos.

3. Sure, we could replace them with human indecipherable gibberish filtered through 10 layers of abstraction so that people who think text will bite them will be more empowered to **** up their system. Nah, sticking with human readable configuration aimed at admins is a better bet.

4. I'd suggest reading about the FHS and the reasoning for things being where they are. It's as logical now as it was 30 years ago

5. That's a good question. Ask your distro maintainer because it's almost certainly a misconfiguration on their part. Unless you're out of your depth using something like Arch or Gentoo, in which case it's probably a misconfiguration on your part.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#26New LinkPosted 3/20/2014 12:13:18 PM
neroAngelo posted...
They'd have to make it as good as Windows.

So, you want linux to regress to the early 90's? It's been flat out better in all aspects for years. The only thing windows has "better" than it has nothing to do with the OS at all, and that is software availability.

On that note, the gaming scene on linux has been booming lately, so that is less of an issue every day. Video editors? The professional industry ONLY use linux for this, though the application license costs thousands. The amature video editor scene needs a few more, but many have already made the switch. Daily activities are much faster on linux. Sound editors have access to the gstreamer backend, which Windows has no alternative to, therefore perform better on linux than on windows. I could go on, but since you're a linux user already (because as you said, when its better you'll switch) you already know all of this.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#27neroAngeloPosted 3/20/2014 12:16:36 PM
Psythik posted...

This doesn't make sense. .tar.gz is a zipped archive. .zip, .rar, and .7z files aren't executable. Why would you want .tar.gz to be?
---
PSWii360U - This is how I triforce http://i.imgur.com/9qF9vGa.jpg
i7 920 @3.3GHz, 6GB DDR3, 7850 2GB
#28KOOGARPosted 3/20/2014 12:19:02 PM
- You live longer! (because Windows costs you some nerves and years of your life)
- everything is FREE

Go to linuxmint.com and get it for free.
#29PsythikPosted 3/20/2014 12:19:36 PM
neroAngelo posted...
Psythik posted...

This doesn't make sense. .tar.gz is a zipped archive. .zip, .rar, and .7z files aren't executable. Why would you want .tar.gz to be?
Exactly. I don't want to have to unzip a file to install a program. Nor do I want to type apt get into a terminal. I want to be able to double-click the installer, then go through the wizard, choosing my install location and what features I want to install. As someone who owns multiple drives, I especially don't like how there's no obvious way to choose your exact install path.
---
#30Worknofun370Posted 3/20/2014 12:24:01 PM
Psythik posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
Psythik posted...

I just explained how it doesn't make sense, so I'd like to hear your logic on how it does.

First, you really didn't explain how it didn't make sense. You just pointed out that the drives are also represented in the file structure That only "doesn't make sense" because you're use to window's structure of C/D/E etc etc for drives.

Linux's setup allows for the root directory to actually be the root directory of the system, rather than being the root directory for this specific partition like in Windows. To me, it makes logical sense for the root directory to be...you know,, the actual root directory. Throw in how linux handles anything and everything in it's file structure (Everything and anything is a file) and you have devices populating the /dev folder so they can be accessed by the user. This also makes complete sense.

This type of setup also gives the user flexibility as to how and where to use their hard drives or partitions For example, It's extremely easy to say "I want my system log directory, /var/log to be my standard HD Drive with a lot of storage" or "I want this specific system folder to be on this partition" Two things that aren't capable at all, or easily in windows.

So, as I said... the filesystem in linux is one of the best things about it and makes complete sense.