This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would a Linux distro have to offer in order for you to switch from Windows?

#31Orestes417Posted 3/20/2014 12:24:50 PM
Why you think you need to install anywhere other than the FHS defined locations is beyond me, although some commercial programs do let you choose alternate locations like /opt
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#32JKatarnPosted 3/20/2014 12:27:57 PM
JrTapia1991 posted...
not having to paste a bunch of code from google into the terminal to download a program, and being compatible with alot more games. I like how it runs well on older hardware though.

That's largely gone the way of the dodo with newer distributions like Linux Mint and Ubuntu that come with good package managers built in.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#33JKatarnPosted 3/20/2014 12:36:38 PM
MarceloSampaio posted...
Compatibility with Windows-only software.

No, WINE doesn't count.

How exactly is Linux supposed to gain compatibility with Windows-only software without some kind of software API translation layer? It's not like Microsoft just hands out the source code to their APIs/kernel etc. to anyone who asks. Now if you're talking about Linux specific versions, that's a different story.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#34MarceloSampaioPosted 3/20/2014 12:39:55 PM
JKatarn posted...
MarceloSampaio posted...
Compatibility with Windows-only software.

No, WINE doesn't count.

How exactly is Linux supposed to gain compatibility with Windows-only software without some kind of software API translation layer? It's not like Microsoft just hands out the source code to their APIs/kernel etc. to anyone who asks. Now if you're talking about Linux specific versions, that's a different story.

Actually, its impossible. :p

In other words, what I meant is that I would never switch to Linux. Its just not worth it.
---
If Mario was made for PCs:
http://i.imgur.com/quKMdjB.jpg
#35Worknofun370Posted 3/20/2014 12:41:33 PM
MarceloSampaio posted...
In other words, what I meant is that I would never switch to Linux. Its just not worth it.

Never say never ;)
#36ChetyrePosted 3/20/2014 12:49:05 PM(edited)
Psythik posted...
neroAngelo posted...
Psythik posted...

2. Install wizards. Ditching .tar.gz for an exe-like format.

This doesn't make sense. .tar.gz is a zipped archive. .zip, .rar, and .7z files aren't executable. Why would you want .tar.gz to be?
Exactly. I don't want to have to unzip a file to install a program. Nor do I want to type apt get into a terminal. I want to be able to double-click the installer, then go through the wizard, choosing my install location and what features I want to install. As someone who owns multiple drives, I especially don't like how there's no obvious way to choose your exact install path.

You don't install things in windows from .zip files, and so you don't install things in linux from .tar.gz files.

If you want an equivalent to .exe files, linux also has them. You can just double-click a .deb file and call an installer too, in distros like ubuntu.
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#37TheEntitledOnePosted 3/20/2014 1:21:45 PM
I already use Linux, it's great for software development, and has a great community and host of programs.

I just game a lot on pc, so I use windows for that.
---
I got your number! I got all your numbers!
#38Erik212Posted 3/20/2014 1:25:26 PM
DirectX. This thread is now over. There is not one single item more.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.
#39metalmariolordPosted 3/20/2014 1:29:09 PM
Games and easy to install stuff.
---
Do you judge games by graphics and not gameplay?Only like realistic games? GO PLAY REAL LIFE!
Sorry about bad english, not primary language.
#40seryou101Posted 3/20/2014 1:34:07 PM
Support ALL of my games, and I'll think about it.
---
I7-970 | EVGA 780 Classified