This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would a Linux distro have to offer in order for you to switch from Windows?

#41arleasPosted 3/20/2014 1:42:03 PM
Erik212 posted...
DirectX. This thread is now over. There is not one single item more.

I'd much rather have games free from the shackles of DirectX.

That way we could do without shenanigans like this hypothetical situation: "Hey guys, we're introducing a new DirectX, it's DX12! And it's going to be exclusive to the new version of Windows, Windows 9!"

That kind of crap forces developers to evaluate how many people have the proper windows version to be able to use the new features, then they decide it's not worth the effort for the limited userbase and opt instead to stick with DX11.

Then because few to no games support DX12, people can't easily justify the purchase of a new video card (or feel like they'd need a new video card to justify buying the new version of windows, it works both ways) and the whole thing gets slowed down because Microsoft wants to apply console peasant level logic (EXCLUSIVES!) to PC.

I don't care if DirectX continues to exist as long as it doesn't slow down everything else.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#42LMTTNPosted 3/20/2014 1:42:38 PM
Easier software installation outside of the terminal and better games support. I know the latter is getting there. However, I'm not sure about the first issue since I haven't used Linux in a long time.
---
Steam: Macintosh Plus | PSN: letmetrythisname
Now Playing: Random PS2 Games.
#43Erik212Posted 3/20/2014 1:57:19 PM(edited)
arleas posted...
I'd much rather have games free from the shackles of DirectX.

Fair point, although that isn't technically something a Linux distro has control over. Of course, advancements in OpenGL will narrow the gap, as will tools that better help devs export their game with both systems.

While DX11.2 being 8.1 exclusive is annoying for whoever doesn't have it, it's tied to the most up to date version of the OS so D3D has better access to the system resources. The only part that sucks is that instead of free updates on Linux you need to pay for Windows, but I got Win8 Pro for $15 when MS had that promo, so there goes that problem.

Anyways, at this point it just boils down to "are you benefiting more from paying for windows or using linux?" debate.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.
#44PraetorXynPosted 3/20/2014 2:09:41 PM
Psythik posted...

2. Install wizards. Ditching .tar.gz for an exe-like format.
You realize the only reason installers are used on Windows is because of the registry right? The most horrible OS construct ever created.

There is an exe equivalent though. It's either a .rpm package for Red Hat distros or a .deb package for Debian distros.
3. Remove all reasons to have to go into the terminal or edit .conf files.
As if you don't have to do this on Windows. Not as much to be sure, but for some games it's necessary to edit .ini files to make them playable, like the first two BioShock games on PC for instance. The mouse acceleration is so severe you have to go into the ini file and make an alias to fix it, then bind the alias as a secondary function to movement keys. When you use QuickLoad or go to a new area, the mouse will be screwed up again, but moving will fix it. This is why the alias is necessary.

As for terminal, there are lots of things that are much faster to do there, the same can be said for cmd/PowerShell (which is really just a Linux shell ripoff, but I love it) in Windows.

4. A more sensible file structure. Where exactly is the root folder located if all the drives are located in a folder inside it? It doesn't make any sense.

Not sure if serious. Linux has a much better filesystem than Windows. It may not seem intuitive because you expect your hard drives to each have a drive letter, but that's not necessary. You tell the OS where to mount the drive once and it mounts it there for you at startup.

On topic, for me:
1. A media player as good as MPC-HC with LAV Filters, ReClock, madVR, xyVSFilter, etc.
2. A music player as good as foobar2000
3. A CD ripping tool as good as dBpoweramp
4. Support for all games
5. Graphics drivers as good as the Windows ones
6. Visual Studio support would be nice. I usually have to do it over RDP anyway so no biggie.

The main thing that keeps me on Windows is the software. The open source world does some very nice work, but even most free programs are only available on Windows.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#45PalomBMPosted 3/20/2014 2:14:29 PM
Waffles. Fresh ones served right in front of me.
---
Palom the Black Mage - New Leaf town: Mysidia
3DS FC: 5112-3429-9986
#46Orestes417Posted 3/20/2014 2:17:31 PM
The music and media players are already arguable depending on taste. There's only ahlf a million of them to choose from. Ripping has generally been better on the *nix side for most of the last two decades. I know back in the day when I bothered to do audio rips the only thing that came close to cdparanoia with a frontend on *nix quality wise was EAC.

As for the rest, pester the software makers, it's they who will have to support the platform.
---
Bled dry from the inside, darkest of weather
I'll be your mirror we can shatter together
#47YuniuninuniunPosted 3/20/2014 2:17:42 PM
It would have to be able to play any game I want to play.
Which won't happen anytime soon since I play lots of MMOs and nearly all of them don't support Linux.
---
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
#48New LinkPosted 3/20/2014 2:21:29 PM
Erik212 posted...
DirectX. This thread is now over. There is not one single item more.

Actually Valve created a DirectX to OpenGL translation layer and recently open-sourced their code for this. What does that mean? It means you can natively run DirectX applications on Linux without sobething like WINE.

Also, openGL has better performance than DirectX. It has for several years now.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#49Sega9599Posted 3/20/2014 2:24:34 PM
Chetyre posted...
Pyrotechnixxx posted...
1. A comprehensive GUI so I don't have to memorize/Google terminal commands to do basic tasks like install programs.
2. Programs or alternatives to give me the same functionality I have in windows. (Things like Rainmeter, Dropbox, CoreTemp, Skype, TeamSpeak, Hamachi, FRAPS, etc)
3. Hot Dog Stand color scheme as an option.

So why aren't you using linux already? All those things you listed are available. Though you might have to tweak the Hot Dog Stand scheme yourself, it will be easy.

If he is already ok with these things, why should he switch? We have to infer from his response that he is just listing things he gets from Windows, rather than giving an actual reason why he would switch over. Even if Linux does things better, why would he think of switching? Now with a Mac, it's seen as a viable commercial and retail choice and alternative, whereas Linux 'seems' more technical and confusing and requires a bit more effort.
---
Oh, for a new 'proper' Shining Force..and a new Panel de Pon game and a new english release of Puyo Puyo....
#50ChetyrePosted 3/20/2014 2:29:54 PM
Sega9599 posted...
Chetyre posted...
Pyrotechnixxx posted...
1. A comprehensive GUI so I don't have to memorize/Google terminal commands to do basic tasks like install programs.
2. Programs or alternatives to give me the same functionality I have in windows. (Things like Rainmeter, Dropbox, CoreTemp, Skype, TeamSpeak, Hamachi, FRAPS, etc)
3. Hot Dog Stand color scheme as an option.

So why aren't you using linux already? All those things you listed are available. Though you might have to tweak the Hot Dog Stand scheme yourself, it will be easy.

If he is already ok with these things, why should he switch? We have to infer from his response that he is just listing things he gets from Windows, rather than giving an actual reason why he would switch over. Even if Linux does things better, why would he think of switching? Now with a Mac, it's seen as a viable commercial and retail choice and alternative, whereas Linux 'seems' more technical and confusing and requires a bit more effort.

Because the topic title asked what linux would have to offer for him to do the switch. Linux offers the things he listed (he added games later), so based on that post alone he should switch.
---
Posted using GameFlux