This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would a Linux distro have to offer in order for you to switch from Windows?

#51Worknofun370Posted 3/20/2014 2:31:33 PM
Sega9599 posted...
If he is already ok with these things, why should he switch? We have to infer from his response that he is just listing things he gets from Windows, rather than giving an actual reason why he would switch over. Even if Linux does things better, why would he think of switching? Now with a Mac, it's seen as a viable commercial and retail choice and alternative, whereas Linux 'seems' more technical and confusing and requires a bit more effort.

Since the topic is "What would a Linux distro have to offer in order for you to switch from Windows?" and since he responded by listing those three things. It's logical to believe he's listing things that a linux distro would need to have to switch.

I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.
#52nova_pilotPosted 3/20/2014 2:43:12 PM
Already dualboot Windows 7/Slackware.

Linux is vastly superior in all categories except gaming.
#53hitokiri13Posted 3/20/2014 2:52:07 PM
I pay monthly for Adobe Creative Cloud software. That's only few things that keep me away from Linux. If Adobe support Linux then I'll switch.
---
Originally Posted by Manicdan
using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.
#54-CJF-Posted 3/20/2014 2:59:33 PM
The only reason I use Windows over Linux is compatibility with certain games and applications. Mostly games though.
#55GANONDORFIVYPosted 3/20/2014 3:06:46 PM
Be cheaper
Be fully compatible with all games supported for windows (emulators included)
Be fully supported by all hardware for gaming
Easier to use than windows
Less problematic than windows

Is most i can think off right now (i dont love windows either) but since is the most accesible and compatible is were i go
---
"I think different than you sir,and im here to stay, no matter how hard you close your eyes i'll be here" GANONDORFIVY
#56Lonestar2000Posted 3/20/2014 3:09:09 PM
If it had the created date for files.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#57Rexdragon125Posted 3/20/2014 3:23:22 PM(edited)
I'll switch the day noncommercial productivity FOSS stops being 5-10 years behind their commercial counterparts (never)

I've volunteered a few months at a city government office that was required by law to use FOSS. The FOSS landscape is plagued by nonexistent documentation*, projects abandoned then forked then abandoned, and bugs going years without being fixed... It was just too much and I was out of there.

Basically the vast majority of open source products do not take requirements, design**, test***, or bug fix****. They maintain, but only because they have to because library versions are constantly changing and they have no choice.

*) Unless you count a user-made, dead forum as documentation

**) Or they do an initial cursory design, then live with it even when it's obvious it has problems, then come up with a lot of bull to justify it-- for example, Linux's lack of a stable ABI. Piping to the command line as an API like it's 1979. Linux stupidly lumping drivers with the kernel instead of using a driver API like Windows. Or Linux's allowing virtually any character in a filename ( http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/fixing-unix-linux-filenames.html ). Or Linux's pig-headed insistence that "everything is a file". Or... pretty much all of Linux is an example of this, frankly.

***) Unless you're really liberal with the word "test". "Works on my machine" is technically a test.

****) They'll usually fix bugs that get a lot of publicity or bugs that one of the developers notices while writing code. They generally will not actually read their own bug tracker, triage the bugs in it, or fix them unless they happen to be rewriting that component anyway.
#58MasterDonGeroPosted 3/20/2014 3:22:23 PM(edited)
Game support and good driver compatibility/performance.
---
3570K (4.5 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#59user_ptPosted 3/20/2014 3:30:03 PM(edited)
Nothing. The only thing I want is that AMD learn to make decent drivers for Linux and I'm sold.

And more game support overall so that I don't have to boot into Windows every time I want to play. But that doesn't really depend on Linux distros' developers, but rather on game developers.
#60HighwayPilotPosted 3/20/2014 3:38:19 PM
Better compatibility with my touch screen.