This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would a Linux distro have to offer in order for you to switch from Windows?

#61CremaciousPosted 3/20/2014 3:54:30 PM
Whenever I installed Linux on my laptop I got a lot of hardware incompatibility problems, and I had to Google how to do everything. I've tried Linux multiple times over the years, and always came back to Windows.
I've considered getting a cheap HDD and putting it into my desktop, install a distro, and just play with it every now and then... but meh, probably not going to happen.
---
PSN: Cremacious
#62Holoogamooga_Posted 3/20/2014 3:59:28 PM
Major corporate software support. As long as the majority of the working world uses Microsoft products, for instance, or software is written primarily for Windows, Linux will have a tough time. There are often open-source alternatives, but they usually aren't quite as good. Basically what Rexdragon was saying.
#63PraetorXynPosted 3/20/2014 4:24:38 PM
Orestes417 posted...
The music and media players are already arguable depending on taste. There's only ahlf a million of them to choose from. Ripping has generally been better on the *nix side for most of the last two decades. I know back in the day when I bothered to do audio rips the only thing that came close to cdparanoia with a frontend on *nix quality wise was EAC.

As for the rest, pester the software makers, it's they who will have to support the platform.

I've tried MPlayer and a few others, found them lacking.

As for ripping, dBpoweramp rips as securely as EAC does in a fraction of the time, but the main draw card is the "Perfect Meta" system that automatically pulls and merges data from 5 metadata providers (2 of them are paid ones that cme free with the software). It's not perfect, but it saves so much work. When I was using freedb I had to make all sorts of changes. I still had to make changes, just no where near as many.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#64a_Wizards_BakerPosted 3/20/2014 4:25:31 PM
Holoogamooga_ posted...
Major corporate software support. As long as the majority of the working world uses Microsoft products, for instance, or software is written primarily for Windows, Linux will have a tough time. There are often open-source alternatives, but they usually aren't quite as good. Basically what Rexdragon was saying.

This

Along with that comes driver support. I can't tell you how many headaches i've run into with *nix and my different setups of hardware. Now granted, this has gotten a lot better over time, but you'll still likely be scouring the net for a fix if you have any sort of specialized or non-standard hardware.
#65mjc0961Posted 3/20/2014 4:47:13 PM
Pyrotechnixxx posted...
3. Hot Dog Stand color scheme as an option.

winning
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#66ChargrilledPosted 3/20/2014 4:58:47 PM
Every single game, working fully, that you can get on windows.
---
GT : DeadJericho/PSN : Focalpoint/WiiU : FocalpointUK
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#67Skul_Posted 3/20/2014 5:07:37 PM
I already use it, but I dual boot. Ill switch to linux only when it has better game support.
---
i5-2500::GTX770::8GB
League IGN [OCE]: theLEECH
#68TheWayOfTheGunPosted 3/20/2014 5:18:18 PM(edited)
When Linux fully supports Visual Studio i.e, never.

I already prefer the Mac OS over Linux and leverage it's Unix-esque terminal for open source programming. I also work for a living so I have no real desire to stick it to the man by only supporting open source projects.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg
#69TES_NutPosted 3/20/2014 5:22:30 PM
Absolute for dummies ease of use. I know the dos commands, I havent a clue where to start in a Linux terminal, and I've tried several times.
---
"Sing of Manetheren, the sword that could not be broken
...Weep for Manetheren. Weep for what is lost forever"
#70TrueKuPosted 3/20/2014 5:38:15 PM(edited)
Microsoft Office.
Hardware compatibility, Easy drivers installs
Why the **** are you to read for 10 hours to figure out to compile to install crap?
Better community, Linux community is a bunch of pompous butts, Whenver you have a problem they just tell you that you're stupid and then continue complaining about how corporate shackles the world done wrong Microsoft keeping the Linux-man down and masticating to playgirl photos of richard stallman in lingerie.
Every time you search for help for some esoteric gibberish that linux spits you, you go to google and all of the links on google are to a forum where all of the posts either tell you you're a dumb noob or a link to LetMeGoogleThatForYou taking you to a google page full of forum links that link back to LetMeGoogleThatForYou

Linux users don't want Linux to be mainstream.
They want to be in their own little "cool penguin" club.
It's like they're fascinated with the latest boy band.
They find any reason to complain.
Walmart sold Linux desktops. It failed. It had its chance.

They keep using excuses like marketing budget to excuse themselves of a crap product.

When people take the their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th weekend of trying out Linux again, they're crapped all over.

Linux isn't even about free hippism.
Linux exists because businesses keep it alive.
Oh yes, give it away for "free" Then charge millions for support contracts ala RedHat
It's the corporations using Linux for servers making evil profit that keeps Linux alive.

---
Chief Scientician