This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would a Linux distro have to offer in order for you to switch from Windows?

#71StarksPosted 3/20/2014 5:34:22 PM(edited)
Shameless Antergos recommendation

The ease of Ubuntu, none of its BS, Arch heart

http://antergos.com/
---
i7 3632QM | Radeon 7730M | 8GB DDR3 | 15.6" 1080p Matte
#72MC RaZaRPosted 3/20/2014 5:35:07 PM
Better driver support and more software options. I do use Linux though.
---
Oh, I don't want to walk that far. Anything that takes more than 12 steps isn't worth doing! Eh? 12? Get it? Steps! Hehehe.- Homer J. Simpson
#73ChaapPosted 3/20/2014 5:38:43 PM
what advantage does linux offer me? that's the real question
---
"Some people are just dumb"
#74MaxCHEATER64Posted 3/20/2014 5:40:09 PM
Chetyre posted...
gaming

---
Specs: http://i.imgur.com/zkNfWZ0.png
#75StarksPosted 3/20/2014 5:42:37 PM(edited)
TrueKu posted...
Microsoft Office.
Hardware compatibility, Easy drivers installs
Why the **** are you to read for 10 hours to figure out to compile to install crap?
Better community, Linux community is a bunch of pompous butts, Whenver you have a problem they just tell you that you're stupid and then continue complaining about how corporate shackles the world done wrong Microsoft keeping the Linux-man down and masticating to playgirl photos of richard stallman in lingerie.
Every time you search for help for some esoteric gibberish that linux spits you, you go to google and all of the links on google are to a forum where all of the posts either tell you you're a dumb noob or a link to LetMeGoogleThatForYou taking you to a google page full of forum links that link back to LetMeGoogleThatForYou

* LibreOffice
* Distros handle drivers in different ways, it's not always easy for proprietary stuff
* Reading is fun
* Yeah, Linux communities can suck

PraetorXyn posted...
On topic, for me:
1. A media player as good as MPC-HC with LAV Filters, ReClock, madVR, xyVSFilter, etc.
2. A music player as good as foobar2000
3. A CD ripping tool as good as dBpoweramp
4. Support for all games
5. Graphics drivers as good as the Windows ones
6. Visual Studio support would be nice. I usually have to do it over RDP anyway so no biggie.

1. smplayer if you need a gui, mpv if you love the terminal
2. pass
3. pass
4. pass
5. Nvidia's drivers are on par with Windows (nouveau blows), not sure what's wrong AMD but their blob and free-open-source drivers are great
6. Try multiplatform development. gcc is your friend and eclipse isn't so bad
---
i7 3632QM | Radeon 7730M | 8GB DDR3 | 15.6" 1080p Matte
#76TrueKuPosted 3/20/2014 5:45:00 PM
LibreOffice? Do you also drive a Barbie Power Wheel instead of an legitimate motor vehicle?
That's what you're suggesting.

Microsoft Office is like Cubic Zirconia. LibreOffice is like clear plastic fish tank fodder.
---
Chief Scientician
#77XammbluPosted 3/20/2014 6:22:43 PM
Chaap posted...
what advantage does linux offer me? that's the real question

Security.

I urge you to burn a live cd and try linux for a week. Just boot from the disc and give it a shot. I did many years ago and have not looked back.
---
XBL/PSN - "Xammblu"
Listen to Metal!!
#78CrevoxPosted 3/20/2014 6:26:15 PM
gaming
#79HenryKazukaPosted 3/20/2014 6:26:19 PM
Nothing. There is nothing they can do to make me switch, I'm just too lazy to try anything different. I'm guessing that's the same reason why everyone uses qwerty keyboards.
---
Hard work may pay in the long run, but laziness always pays off right now!
#80WyzeGyePosted 3/20/2014 6:48:08 PM
Rexdragon125 posted...
I'll switch the day noncommercial productivity FOSS stops being 5-10 years behind their commercial counterparts (never)

I've volunteered a few months at a city government office that was required by law to use FOSS. The FOSS landscape is plagued by nonexistent documentation*, projects abandoned then forked then abandoned, and bugs going years without being fixed... It was just too much and I was out of there.

Basically the vast majority of open source products do not take requirements, design**, test***, or bug fix****. They maintain, but only because they have to because library versions are constantly changing and they have no choice.

*) Unless you count a user-made, dead forum as documentation

**) Or they do an initial cursory design, then live with it even when it's obvious it has problems, then come up with a lot of bull to justify it-- for example, Linux's lack of a stable ABI. Piping to the command line as an API like it's 1979. Linux stupidly lumping drivers with the kernel instead of using a driver API like Windows. Or Linux's allowing virtually any character in a filename ( http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/fixing-unix-linux-filenames.html ). Or Linux's pig-headed insistence that "everything is a file". Or... pretty much all of Linux is an example of this, frankly.

***) Unless you're really liberal with the word "test". "Works on my machine" is technically a test.

****) They'll usually fix bugs that get a lot of publicity or bugs that one of the developers notices while writing code. They generally will not actually read their own bug tracker, triage the bugs in it, or fix them unless they happen to be rewriting that component anyway.

There's a lot of LOL in this post.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png