This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

any games similar to the king's field series? or just good dungeon crawling

#41chandl34Posted 3/23/2014 12:15:08 PM(edited)
Clouddx posted...
chandl34 posted...
RPGMatt posted...
chandl34 posted...

Right, not in gameplay... because when someone wants a 1st person action rpg, dungeon crawler, they probably don't want to be tricked into buying a still-frame, 1st person point-and-click adventure game.

You don't play King's Field for the combat. You play it for the exploration. KF:TAC and say, Riven, both do an excellent job of building desolate worlds that feel "lived-in."

People play games for different reasons. What part of Riven is a "dungeon crawler" that "focuses on traps and enemies, and status ailments"? You're 0 for 4.

Right, then you're point is moot. Both of you are wrong, The game is like King's Field in many ways, but the differences do not effect the fact that it is like King's Field in more ways than it's not.

Except that's what the OP specifically asked for, so I guess my point is not moot.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#42ClouddxPosted 3/23/2014 5:09:03 PM(edited)
chandl34 posted...
Clouddx posted...
chandl34 posted...
RPGMatt posted...
chandl34 posted...

Right, not in gameplay... because when someone wants a 1st person action rpg, dungeon crawler, they probably don't want to be tricked into buying a still-frame, 1st person point-and-click adventure game.

You don't play King's Field for the combat. You play it for the exploration. KF:TAC and say, Riven, both do an excellent job of building desolate worlds that feel "lived-in."

People play games for different reasons. What part of Riven is a "dungeon crawler" that "focuses on traps and enemies, and status ailments"? You're 0 for 4.

Right, then you're point is moot. Both of you are wrong, The game is like King's Field in many ways, but the differences do not effect the fact that it is like King's Field in more ways than it's not.

Except that's what the OP specifically asked for, so I guess my point is not moot.

Now I think your eyes are broken, because Dark Souls fits the OPs requirements. You're first post makes it seem like you didn't even read what the OP wants.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#43LordOfLegaciesPosted 3/23/2014 5:18:34 PM
OrgeLambart posted...
lol @ Dark souls being anything similar to King's Field... King's Field was actually fun, and interesting to play Dark Souls is a joke.

Nobody likes a neckbeard.
---
Me: Nobody takes the appeal system seriously so nobody cares if you remove their appeal privileges. *removes my appeal privilages*
Yep, sure f***ing showed me.
#44smoky820(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2014 6:15:52 PM
for now im definitely looking into arx fatalis (the game seems very familiar like i might have played it or seen someone play it)

im also looking into this for anyone interested:
http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/kfdd/

thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far
---
scientists had till Dec 31 2009 to get off their asses and create megaman. they failed us.
#45chandl34Posted 3/23/2014 8:16:14 PM(edited)
Clouddx posted...

Now I think your eyes are broken, because Dark Souls fits the OPs requirements. You're first post makes it seem like you didn't even read what the OP wants.

I don't remember saying anything about Dark Souls.... probably because I've never played it. What first post are you talking about?
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#46SlaynPosted 3/23/2014 7:50:13 PM
I remember playing the first King's Field, man was that game harsh...
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#47chandl34Posted 3/23/2014 7:59:26 PM
smoky820 posted...
for now im definitely looking into arx fatalis (the game seems very familiar like i might have played it or seen someone play it)

im also looking into this for anyone interested:
http://www.swordofmoonlight.com/kfdd/

thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far

I'm about halfway through Arx now. It's not as combat focused as King's Field. There's a lot more time spent talking to NPCs. No trapped out dungeons either, but it's still a fun game.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#48RPGMattPosted 3/25/2014 1:39:36 AM
^Somehow, I had never heard of Arx Fatalis... But I just went and bought it on impulse.
---
http://www.facebook.com/chaosframe
#49KCGeminiPosted 3/25/2014 2:32:09 PM
I like this topic.
---
What's wrong with the world these days is people don't have any common sense...
#50BendoHendoPosted 3/25/2014 2:34:31 PM
I know it's sci-fi and not fantasy, but System Shock 2 and Metroid Prime both reminds me very much of the King's Field series. I'd give both of them a go, many regard them as some of the best games of all time.