This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why all the hate on laser mice?

#11PhilOnDezPosted 3/20/2014 1:56:42 PM
@grim

For me it's not a matter of choosing a mouse with a laser sensor over optical, it's that there aren't any mouses with a ****ton of buttons in addition to an optical sensor. All of the Razer Naga models and the G600 use lasers. I play RPGs and MMOs more often than I play shooters though so it's a concession I'm willing to make but I'd love to get the best of both worlds.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#12WyzeGye(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2014 1:57:20 PM
http://www.aziocorp.com/en/mouse/21-levetron-5000cpi-programmable-gaming-mouse.html

This is the mouse i've got. While the build quality is atrocious... the sensor hasn't done me wrong at all... No idea what the sensor is so I can't shed any light on that.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e4IiIHn.png
#13_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 3/20/2014 3:38:22 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
@grim

For me it's not a matter of choosing a mouse with a laser sensor over optical, it's that there aren't any mouses with a ****ton of buttons in addition to an optical sensor. All of the Razer Naga models and the G600 use lasers. I play RPGs and MMOs more often than I play shooters though so it's a concession I'm willing to make but I'd love to get the best of both worlds.

Yeah, I think that is a legitimate reason. I mean, there are other characteristics to consider, and how much you value them depends largely on the type of games you play.

In my first comment on the topic I said "granted, sometimes people get them for other characteristics like a specific shape or the number of available buttons", which is kind of what you are saying.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#14dennis941012Posted 3/20/2014 3:42:06 PM
because their sensors bug out more than optical sensor
look up philps twin eye problem
---
3DS FC: 5214-9942-1912
#15OreoBoy206Posted 3/20/2014 4:00:56 PM
So I see all the flaws for laser sensors posted but are optical sensors flawless? Is there not one advantage to getting a mouse with a laser sensor over a optical sensor?
#16cody4783Posted 3/20/2014 4:24:16 PM
dennis941012 posted...
because their sensors bug out more than optical sensor
look up philps twin eye problem

You mean the lift-off "Issue" where the cursor will move as though it was "bumped" slightly when you pickup the mouse?

Had a mouse that used the Twin-Eye sensor. Given that I run decently high sensitivity, I didn't lift the mouse off much so the issue wasn't noticeable. Genuinely the only time I noticed it was in Windows while browsing or whatever and I saw the cursor drop about an inch. Big deal.

Currently using a mouse that has the Avago ADNS-9800 sensor in it. And while I use about 1/4 of it's max DPI, it's still plenty accurate for me. And as for lift-off, again I only notice it in Windows when the cursor moves like, 1/4-1/2".

Having used a couple optical mice, and a 3-4 laser mice, I can't say I see any reason to be completely bias toward either. And to be perfectly honest, the Optical mice have bugged out on the "odd" (Non-Mousepad) surfaces I've tried using MORE than the Laser mice.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#17_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 3/21/2014 6:06:34 AM(edited)
OreoBoy206 posted...
So I see all the flaws for laser sensors posted but are optical sensors flawless? Is there not one advantage to getting a mouse with a laser sensor over a optical sensor?

They are not flawless, but they avoid the most hated problems. For example, the Avago 3090 is perhaps one of the most popular alternatives to laser mice. Usually, the implementation of this sensor has no prediction, no acceleration, good tracking speeds, no lag or delay, no excessive smoothing, no jitter, and no pixel walk. The common problem is a high lift of distance. However, that does not mean that every implementation of the A3090 comes without problems. It has been used in mice where it performs terrible (Puretrak Valor), or where the tracking speeds were actually fairly low etc. Zowie manages to reduce the lift of distance of the sensor, but there seems to be a slight problem with interpolation to attain DPI settings not native to the sensor.

You still need to consider a mouse's individual characteristics. Just because it is optical does not mean it is good, or it does not have tracking characteristics that you might not like. It is just because all current laser sensor has issues that are viewed as quite serious, that people turn towards optical mice, where some of them perform well without problems that are quite as large.

This thread has more info on mice with optical sensors and their specific problems:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=53945.0

---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#18Killah PriestPosted 3/21/2014 7:19:51 AM
I went from a wireless laser (Logitech MX Anywhere) to a wired Optical (Logitech G400s) and don't notice anything different other than DPI.

So its either not there or I don't notice.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#19Fade2black001Posted 3/21/2014 7:40:03 AM
What? Laser is better than optical is. Last mouse I had was a basic generic laser mouse and it worked SO much better than my optical one I am using now...
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#20NicodimusPosted 3/21/2014 8:02:18 AM
Love my G500. I've never noticed any acceleration.
---
My movie room: http://imgur.com/a/IjWr1
My pets: http://imgur.com/a/P9VGU