This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why all the hate on laser mice?

#21wildog2006Posted 3/21/2014 8:10:38 AM
g700s user here. I've used laser, optical, ball, trackball even a mouse that worked like a wii-mote by pointing it at the screen. Guess what? They all worked fine but had their own quirks. Adapting to new situations is human nature, if you can't adjust to new things then you must be less than human. How are you using a mouse without opposable thumbs and a lack of self awareness?
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#22phy2jshPosted 3/21/2014 8:12:58 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
What? Laser is better than optical is. Last mouse I had was a basic generic laser mouse and it worked SO much better than my optical one I am using now...

Did you just ignore all of grim's posts? He's given very useful objective advice. Your 'evidence' is just anecdotal.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#23LOLIAmAnAltPosted 3/21/2014 8:41:25 AM(edited)
I chose Laz_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
Fargoth272 posted...
Psythik posted...
There are drawbacks to laser mice? They're all I use because I thought they were supposed to be better. Isn't acceleration done on the software side? Why would a laser mouse build it into the hardware?

It's a downfall of the laser sensor. ALL laser sensors have some acceleration currently.

This is not entirely accurate. The most popular ones that you find in mice today (Avago 9500 and 9800 mostly) have acceleration. Other laser sensors have other issues. For example, the Philips Twin Eye has the fairly serious "z-axis" issue, where the cursor moves as you lift the mouse, but it does not suffer from acceleration. Some older laser sensors like the A6010 do not have acceleration if I am not mistaken, but have other problems like low max perfect tracking speed.

Objectively, you could say that the best sensors currently on the market are all optical. Since, optical sensors are becoming once again more popular as more gamers realize their advantages, and since they come in all shapes and sizes, the real question is not why should you go for optical (like the A3090 sensor), but why would you go for laser?

Because a optical wireless mouse with plenty of buttons just did not exist!
(Please name me a decent wireless optical mouse)
---
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
#24GunmaN1905Posted 3/21/2014 9:01:40 AM
I'm like the only person in the world that loves acceleration. I tried to play without it but I can't.
I use very low sens and high acceleration and I'm a pretty damn good in FPS games like CS because of it. Noone else can play with my settings, lol.
And don't bash people if they can't adjust to new mice, I have like 2 weeks adaptation period every time.
Personally I've owned/played with a lot of mices and it's not about the type but about the quality.

Btw, if anyone's going to buy gaming mice anytime soon, take look at roccat products (german company). I've switched to roccat from razer because of razer's lack of quality and bugs.
I currently have kone XTD with some new sensor of theirs and I'd say it's the only mice that beats g500s.
---
PSN: GunmaN1905
Steam: GunmaN1905
#25_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 3/21/2014 12:08:00 PM(edited)
Because a optical wireless mouse with plenty of buttons just did not exist!
(Please name me a decent wireless optical mouse)

Said a few times already in this same topic: "granted, sometimes people get them for other characteristics like a specific shape or the number of available buttons".

@GunmaN
There are more people who play with acceleration. Plenty of Quake players do it as well. In a way, acceleration almost gives you a built in DPI adjustment. For example, when the acceleration is positive, you can move the mouse slow and the cursor will be slow, allowing you to be accurate. At the same time, you can flick the mouse fast to turn 180 degrees, as faster mouse movement means that the cursor travels a greater distance. Even though many people prefer to have a 1 to 1 relationship between sensor and cursor movement, it is easy to see that acceleration could even provide a unique benefit.

But even in those situations, you are better off having known and stable software acceleration available in the game or in your operating system rather than being subject to some unknown acceleration that can be either positive or negative, is affected by the surface that you use, and that can be inconsistent.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie EC1 Evo White | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#26ClouddxPosted 3/21/2014 1:13:26 PM(edited)
GunmaN1905 posted...
I'm like the only person in the world that loves acceleration. I tried to play without it but I can't.
I use very low sens and high acceleration and I'm a pretty damn good in FPS games like CS because of it. Noone else can play with my settings, lol.
And don't bash people if they can't adjust to new mice, I have like 2 weeks adaptation period every time.
Personally I've owned/played with a lot of mices and it's not about the type but about the quality.

Btw, if anyone's going to buy gaming mice anytime soon, take look at roccat products (german company). I've switched to roccat from razer because of razer's lack of quality and bugs.
I currently have kone XTD with some new sensor of theirs and I'd say it's the only mice that beats g500s.

Playing with acceleration means you will never be as accurate as you could be. It adds a variable, and when you are looking for consistency while aiming any variables are considered bad.\

wildog2006 posted...
g700s user here. I've used laser, optical, ball, trackball even a mouse that worked like a wii-mote by pointing it at the screen. Guess what? They all worked fine but had their own quirks. Adapting to new situations is human nature, if you can't adjust to new things then you must be less than human. How are you using a mouse without opposable thumbs and a lack of self awareness?

It's not about adapting, it's about having a variable that you can't account for while aiming.

Say, I move my mouse 6inches to make a 180 degree turn. No matter how fast or how slow I move my mouse it's always 6 inches = 180 degree turn.

With Acceleration, you move the mouse 6inches one time at a certain speed you turn 180 degrees. You move the mouse at a different speed but still 6 inches you don't make the same 180 degree turn. There is no way you can account for the variable in this, and that's bad for competitive FPS players.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#27fire2boxPosted 3/21/2014 1:48:13 PM(edited)
I've been using laser mice since 2010 or so. I much prefer them then optical.

First a G5 and now a first gen CM Storm Sentinel.
---
Ivy bridge i5 3570k @3.40GHz | 8 GB DDR3 | single XFX 7870| OCZ 600W Modular. Nvidia, AMD, Intel for life!!
3DS FC: 2208-5221-4039
#28ClouddxPosted 3/21/2014 1:48:56 PM(edited)
fire2box posted...
I've been using laser mice since 2010 or so. I much prefer them then optical.

First a G5 and now a first gen CM Storm Sentinel.

And why? They have literally no advantage, ohh cept they can track on glass. lolz
---
#29GunmaN1905Posted 3/21/2014 2:00:43 PM
Theoretically, that acceleration variable is bad, but it's not all about theory.
I got used to that acceleration on multiple mices and I want different mouse speed movements to equal different distance travelled.
Since human hands aren't machines and aren't calculating variables sometimes feeling is better.
I'm definitely more precise with acceleration because as I said I want fast hand twitch to turn me 180 without having to move big distances.
Be one with your mouse.

Btw, we have same CPU.
---
PSN: GunmaN1905
Steam: GunmaN1905
#30ClouddxPosted 3/21/2014 2:06:00 PM
GunmaN1905 posted...
Theoretically, that acceleration variable is bad, but it's not all about theory.
I got used to that acceleration on multiple mices and I want different mouse speed movements to equal different distance travelled.
Since human hands aren't machines and aren't calculating variables sometimes feeling is better.
I'm definitely more precise with acceleration because as I said I want fast hand twitch to turn me 180 without having to move big distances.
Be one with your mouse.

Btw, we have same CPU.

For you it may not be a problem, but for many professional FPS gamers they need consistency and an extra variable doesn't help. It's not a theory, as any variable will impact consistency.
---