This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Microsoft should just rename My Documents to My Games

#21staticxtreme5Posted 3/20/2014 2:28:32 PM
My guess would be that due to older versions of Windows not having a saved games folder natively, its just easier to stick it in my documents. I know, it wouldn't be hard to have it built into a games install to create a saved games folder if one is not present, but oh well.
#22nameless0101Posted 3/20/2014 3:06:34 PM
staticxtreme5 posted...
My guess would be that due to older versions of Windows not having a saved games folder natively, its just easier to stick it in my documents. I know, it wouldn't be hard to have it built into a games install to create a saved games folder if one is not present, but oh well.

That would be relevant on some games but a lot of newer games are DirectX 10 and above only so you have to have Windows Vista and higher to play them anyway. All of which have the My Games folder and they still don't bother to utilise it.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag DeludedFool
PSN Name also DeludedFool
#23DawnshadowPosted 3/20/2014 3:37:12 PM
Loshadt posted...
Better question, why don't games just put saves and config files in their install directory rather than cluttering the rest of the computer?

Because it's a nightmare if you want to either reinstall the OS or you get a new computer, and you want to move your saves. Putting all of them in one folder means you can just copy that folder. Putting them in the install directory means a much longer backup process.
---
Pokemon X - 2664-2616-4997 - Munna, Sigilyph, Duosion - PM me!
#24sonic_man00Posted 3/20/2014 5:45:44 PM
Yo dawg, I heard you like My Documents, So I put yo Documents, In yo documents, So you can read yo Documents while yo reading yo documents.
---
Windows 8 - AMD Dual-Core E-3000 - 4 GB RAM - ATi Radeon HD 6310
I will change this sig when Gabe posts a picture of himself eating a Twinkie.
#25ZeroRaiderPosted 3/20/2014 5:50:05 PM
It is also hard to back things up. When everything is in /User/ somewhere you just back up everything there and copy it over when you re-install Windows and all your saves have returned with little effort.
#26YoungAdultLinkPosted 3/20/2014 6:00:48 PM
Always fun when you have to go digging through hidden folders to find your saves. Really, who thought AppData would be a good place for save files?
---
One day, when I am too old for adventuring, I will settle down and open up a little armor shop called, "Victorious Secret."