This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My first gaming PC - Where to start?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My first gaming PC - Where to start?
1 year ago#1
I've been a dedicated console and handheld video game player for most of my life, but now find myself interested in dabbing into the PC game world for the first time. Let's just say Sony's onerous price increase of the PS4 in Canada and the lack of interesting games on Xbox One have led me astray. Still love the hell out of my Wii U/3DS though.

I really have no idea about where to start when it comes to PC. If anyone in Canada could give me advice on what brand or model of computer to buy and whatever else I would need, I would appreciate it. I'm mostly looking to play Bioware games like SWTOR, and Dragon Age, Bethesda games like Oblivion and Skyrim, and CDPRED's Witcher series. I'd like to be able to use all the latest mods for some of those games as well.

Please pardon my computer illiteracy, but where do I start?

Thanks to all who contribute!
1 year ago#2
the world wide web is a good start. also pc gamers are the most sexually frustrated and rude so don't take things too seriously when we bash on you.

i want your soul mr. happy noob pc guy
---
im on my mobile phone so excuse the cruddy spelling
1 year ago#3
Start with a budget first. You get what you pay for with a PC. An $800-$1200 budget will get you a pretty good gaming machine. Anything less will basically mean lower details and/or a shorter duration where your computer can even run games (2 years vs 6 years for instance).

Oh, then again, I don't know how much prices are in Canada though, so it might be more than that.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
1 year ago#4
Thanks for your advice.

Do you think it would suffice to just buy a computer labelled "gaming pc" and just check the specs against the recommended specs posted for each game?

Also, once the PC is acquired, is it simply a matter of upgrading the graphics card every year or so and leaving the other components as they are?
1 year ago#5
If you are buying prebuilt be aware you will pay extra as opposed to building yourself. Building a PC is fun easy and a bit addicting. If you are even slightly interested you should go to youtube and search "newegg PC build". It's a 3 part series. Watch them then decide if you want to give it a go. You'll likely save $100-$300 depending on many factors. If you are not interested then well, be prepared to take a lot of guff from many here. It's build it yourself or go home most times.

If you want prebuilt then I suggest using a site like ecollegepc.com and there you pick parts and they'll assemble it and ship it to you. Again you'll pay higher amounts but it's built to your specs. It's a good idea to not buy a gpu from them as that is where their biggest mark up is and grab one cheaper elsewhere and plugging it in yourself. It'll take 3 minutes tops to do so

Either if those options, many of us here can help you pick parts that for well in your budget.
---
www.twitch.tv/fearsomebeaver
1 year ago#6
Takaki-star posted...
If anyone in Canada could give me advice on what brand or model of computer to buy

wotno it's not a console farmboy.
1 year ago#7
Sorry forgot your last question.

Depending on the components you can upgrade parts at anytime but the better the components the longer you can get by. You can build a $1200 PC where you will play game very well for 4-6 yrs w/out touching it. You can build a $700 PC and probably upgrade a part or two in a couple years. There are many favors that come into play on that front but again we can help you with that.
---
www.twitch.tv/fearsomebeaver
1 year ago#8
All of time and space, everywhere and anywhere, every star that ever was or will be. Where do you want to start?
---
"Sing of Manetheren, the sword that could not be broken
...Weep for Manetheren. Weep for what is lost forever"
1 year ago#9
If you are serious about joining the master race, you need to build your own. pre-built is over priced and under powered.
---
"Sing of Manetheren, the sword that could not be broken
...Weep for Manetheren. Weep for what is lost forever"
1 year ago#10
Takaki-star posted...
Thanks for your advice.

Do you think it would suffice to just buy a computer labelled "gaming pc" and just check the specs against the recommended specs posted for each game?

Also, once the PC is acquired, is it simply a matter of upgrading the graphics card every year or so and leaving the other components as they are?

Be careful buying any prebuilt labeling a "gaming pc" especially from a big box store like walmart, best buy etc (not sure if you have all those in canada).

Alot of times they give weak power supplies and weak video cards, with a decent proccessor and ram and that doesnt work out. Also definatly hit youtube and watch those vids another guy suggested.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My first gaming PC - Where to start?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived