This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was the best FPS map editor/creator ever?

#1sflowers539Posted 3/21/2014 9:44:17 AM
I remember map editors for some FPS games in the early 90’s, it seems like a forgotten art that nobody has developed much since. Which game do you think did the best job of letting you create the best and most detailed maps for FPS games? I remember after Columbine there was the story that the shooters created a map of the school on “Doom” to practice the shooting. That would not have helped them obviously and that story was spun out of paranoia and turned out to not even be true. But are there any game where you could create an office or school building setting, military complex, maze of caves, ect… and make it even a little realistic and do things like make the walls look like office walls, cave walls, a hedge maze and things like that?
#2johnny_payPosted 3/21/2014 9:52:08 AM
Unreal engine 2
#3SilentHawk29Posted 3/21/2014 9:55:16 AM
Yeah, the Unreal Engines, 2-4.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#4Jprime666Posted 3/21/2014 10:08:14 AM
halo forge obv
---
Stay away from the Summoner!
#5sonic_man00Posted 3/21/2014 11:22:24 AM
Portal 2 Creation Tools.
---
Windows 8 - AMD Dual-Core E-3000 - 4 GB RAM - ATi Radeon HD 6310
I will change this sig when Gabe posts a picture of himself eating a Twinkie.
#6KillerTrufflePosted 3/21/2014 11:32:22 AM
I'll agree with UnrealEd. MUCH more powerful than things like Portal, Doom, etc., but still relatively easy to learn.

I've seen some cool things done with CryEngine too tho... but my personal vote would go to UnrealEd.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#7Bazooka_PenguinPosted 3/21/2014 11:35:19 AM
An in-game map editor or a full blown dev kit with level editor?
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#8sflowers539(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 1:53:19 PM
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
An in-game map editor or a full blown dev kit with level editor?

I was talking about in-game map editors, but it seems like those don't exist to let you create to the level I was thinking of, so it looks like I would need one of the major developer kits to recreate a setting like a school or sports stadium and make it seem realistic at all. If you buy one of those things can you set the rules for a FPS match and are things like weapons selectable or would you have to create all that from scratch too?
#9KillerTrufflePosted 3/21/2014 2:05:47 PM
UnrealEd was (until recently, at least) always bundled with the Unreal Tournament games. No extra purchases necessary - you could design maps in UnrealEd and jump right into them in UT. I remember using it for UT2k4. And this includes setting map rules, bot pathing, etc.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#10SilentHawk29Posted 3/21/2014 2:27:43 PM
sflowers539 posted...
can you set the rules for a FPS match and are things like weapons selectable or would you have to create all that from scratch too?

What do you mean by rules? Give me an example.

Weapons are the same weapons of the game. If you want more, you have to model and animate them with other software, such as 3DS Max, and then code them in. You can set which weapons appear in the map though as well as what players start out with.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg