This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Opinions on Mechanical Keyboards?

#1SkaterUBPosted 3/21/2014 11:14:13 AM
I wanted to buy one and was looking for peoples opinions. I know I can just google it, which I did, but it is not the same as people who have been using their keyboard for longer than a review period.

I've been looking at Ducky Shine 3 but they are never in stock so I may just give up on them. A few people told me the Razer Black Widow Ultimate is good regardless of all the hate for that brand.

I was hoping to get a backlit keyboard.

Can anybody offer opinions on a keyboard?
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: ShadowShooter93
3DS FC: 1332-8869-6872
#2LvthnPosted 3/21/2014 11:18:29 AM
Black Widow isn't bad, it's just kind of expensive for a keyboard. Still, it's a full keyboard, has macros, is backlit, and has USB passthrough and audio jacks, so it's got a pretty full set of features. And it doesn't do anything weird, no odd keyboard shapes or LCD panel or that kind of crap.

Maybe look into the stealth version, the Black Widow is fairly noisy, if that bothers you.
#3SkaterUB(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 11:22:43 AM
Lvthn posted...
Black Widow isn't bad, it's just kind of expensive for a keyboard. Still, it's a full keyboard, has macros, is backlit, and has USB passthrough and audio jacks, so it's got a pretty full set of features. And it doesn't do anything weird, no odd keyboard shapes or LCD panel or that kind of crap.

A friend of mine said that the Stealth is worse to have because it doesn't feel as right.

I'm not sure since I've never had a mechanical keyboard. I noticed that Razer was having a pre order for what seems like the new model for the Stealth.
Maybe look into the stealth version, the Black Widow is fairly noisy, if that bothers you.

---
Steam/XBL/PSN: ShadowShooter93
3DS FC: 1332-8869-6872
#4LvthnPosted 3/21/2014 11:25:04 AM
They're different switches. I've never used a Stealth to say for sure, and personally noisy keys don't really bug me, just an option. If you're able to try out both that would be the thing to do. I know Best Buy typically has Black Widow in stock and available for key pressing.
#5ein311Posted 3/21/2014 11:26:40 AM
SkaterUB posted...
A friend of mine said that the Stealth is worse to have because it doesn't feel as right.

Different types of mechanical switches are going to appeal to different people. The stealth switches don't make an audible click and requires less force to actuate. It's a quieter switch, but it's still mechanical and nice to type on. The Black Widow Ultimate Stealth and the Logitech G710+ (which I'm using) both use Cherry MX Browns. I'm a big fan of these keys.
The Razer Orange keys in the new Stealth seem to be modified versions of Browns, with an ever-so-slightly higher actuation point. Early reviews from people that have used this seem to state they notice the difference in actuation point and like the feel of these keys.

It's a bit difficult to try out all the different types of mechanical switches. If you have a Best Buy in your area, you might be able to give it a shot. Razer's Black Widow packaging has cutouts to let you try the keys so you can get a good idea of what kind of key feel you're going to get.

Coolermaster has a test board that you can buy to try out all the different kinds of keys. They also offer a discount towards one of their boards if you buy the key sampler from them:
http://www.cmstore-usa.com/mechanical-key-switch-demo-board/
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#6JrTapia1991Posted 3/21/2014 11:33:29 AM
I use this regular cooler master keyboard they say is sort of a pseudo mechanical, it feels tactical

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129030

I plan on getting a blackwidow ultimate if they ever return to normal prices, I'm not paying the $150 they go for....worth about $100, which they used to go for, and ew I'd never buy a cheaper used keyboard for obvious reasons :P
---
3570k@4.2ghz|Z77 Asrock Extreme4m|Sapphire HD7950 boost|Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb|840 250gb SSD|1tb/2tb 7200 HDDs|Corsair HX750w|Asus 1080p 2ms|G400|CM Elite 430
#7MC RaZaRPosted 3/21/2014 11:43:11 AM
You can see if the Shine III you want is here.

http://www.ncixus.com/vendors/?vendorid=4689
---
Oh, I don't want to walk that far. Anything that takes more than 12 steps isn't worth doing! Eh? 12? Get it? Steps! Hehehe.- Homer J. Simpson
#8New LinkPosted 3/21/2014 11:54:27 AM
I've got a duckzero with mx blue switches. It's hard to describe the difference, but i enjoy typing it on it far more than the chiclet style. Its easier to type faster with it without any errors.

when I use my keyboard at work (standard issue) its almost annoying to type on now that im used to the hugh quality board i have.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#9ShubPosted 3/21/2014 12:02:52 PM(edited)
They're all I use now. I own three and have owned a few more.
But there's really no way to know if you're going to like them, or if you're going to care, and if you do one way or the other, which switch type you'll enjoy the best, without some trial and error.
I started with Blues, didn't like them (they feel nice but the clicking is a problem for me), tried Browns, liked them (two of my keyboards are Browns and one is the one I use at work), tried Reds, really like them (that's my main keyboard at home), don't like Blacks.
Clears are OK, never tried Greens but since I'm not into Blues, I know I don't need to bother with Greens.
Unicomp (buckling springs) are great but again with the clicking, so no-no for me.
But I only know all that because I tried them all. You may be able to exclude some from your testing based on a description of how they operate, so that's always good.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#10New LinkPosted 3/21/2014 12:13:06 PM
Shub,

I love the clicking noise.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!