This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Opinions on Mechanical Keyboards?

#11Snagg57Posted 3/21/2014 12:17:11 PM
Shub posted...
They're all I use now. I own three and have owned a few more.
But there's really no way to know if you're going to like them, or if you're going to care, and if you do one way or the other, which switch type you'll enjoy the best, without some trial and error.
I started with Blues, didn't like them (they feel nice but the clicking is a problem for me), tried Browns, liked them (two of my keyboards are Browns and one is the one I use at work), tried Reds, really like them (that's my main keyboard at home), don't like Blacks.
Clears are OK, never tried Greens but since I'm not into Blues, I know I don't need to bother with Greens.
Unicomp (buckling springs) are great but again with the clicking, so no-no for me.
But I only know all that because I tried them all. You may be able to exclude some from your testing based on a description of how they operate, so that's always good.

You said Clears are "Okay" could you explain a little more? Cause I currently have a MX Brown keyboard, and it seems a little light on the bump it gives, I'm currently interested in Clears, cause apparently they have a harder to press "bump" which seems perfect for my needs. (Brown falls apart too fast, I.E I rest my fingers on the board and sometimes accidently press them or press a wrong key.)
#12ShubPosted 3/21/2014 12:23:56 PM(edited)
New Link posted...
Shub,

I love the clicking noise.

Yep, I get that's the main appeal for a lot of people. I don't mind it per se, but unfortunately, at home, it's too noisy when I'm typing while somebody is sleeping, and at work, well, it's a cubicle farm and I already get the occasional comment (light-hearted but still) from people about my clickitty-clackitty from bottoming out my Browns, so I'd probably get thrown out of the window if I had Blues. That doesn't stop my neighbor from having a Unicomp and one of my other coworkers from having Blues, but I guess I just feel bad about it.

Snagg57 posted...
You said Clears are "Okay" could you explain a little more? Cause I currently have a MX Brown keyboard, and it seems a little light on the bump it gives, I'm currently interested in Clears, cause apparently they have a harder to press "bump" which seems perfect for my needs. (Brown falls apart too fast, I.E I rest my fingers on the board and sometimes accidently press them or press a wrong key.)

There's not much I can tell you you don't already know :) Clears are stiffer Browns. They're "okay" for me because I prefer lighter, not stiffer keys. If you want tactile feedback and you find Browns too easy to depress, then definitely give Clears a shot. If you're not bothered whether you have tactile feedback or not, try Blacks, they're easier to find than Clears.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#13SkaterUB(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 12:25:58 PM
MC RaZaR posted...
http://www.ncixus.com/vendors/?vendorid=4689

Negative, it is on backorder. Really wanted the Blue LED with Red Switch, but nothing. Tiger Imports has the Magenta LED with Red Switch and I may end up going for that honestly because I've ben waiting months for Blue to come back in stock.
---
Steam/XBL/PSN: ShadowShooter93
3DS FC: 1332-8869-6872
#14New LinkPosted 3/21/2014 12:27:37 PM
Shub,

I get comments about my typing being too noisy at the office as well, and i just have a standard-issue non-mechanical dell keyboard. I'd love to bring in a blue-switch to make by job more enjoyable, but when i mentioned it my coworker said "I'm vetoing that RIGHT NOW! " haha.

When I work from home and make a call out, i can tell if i'm talking to a nerd because they comment on how nice my keyboard sounds. I'd love blues at the office.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#15Snagg57Posted 3/21/2014 12:40:29 PM
Shub posted...

Snagg57 posted...

There's not much I can tell you you don't already know :) Clears are stiffer Browns. They're "okay" for me because I prefer lighter, not stiffer keys. If you want tactile feedback and you find Browns too easy to depress, then definitely give Clears a shot. If you're not bothered whether you have tactile feedback or not, try Blacks, they're easier to find than Clears.

Okay, sounds great, but Black feel like rubber domes to me. And so far I haven't been able to find any clears that are reasonably priced let alone available.

Thanks for the input though.
#16SkaterUB(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 1:42:48 PM
So I'm thinking of going with Ducky Shine III Red Switch.

http://tigerimports.net/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=13766
---
#17SkaterUB(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 1:54:19 PM
Is it a good choice or should I get something else?
---
#18saltedhamPosted 3/21/2014 4:03:04 PM
i got a ducky shine 3 black switch. feels good.
---
(X)_(X)
SUSANO'O!!!!!
#19ThatOneGuysHairPosted 3/21/2014 4:34:48 PM
bumping for the type heaven and topre switches

http://www.amazon.com/Topre-Type-Heaven-104-key-Keyboard/dp/B00DGJALYW

I really love these switches. No backlight: but, then again, I tend to look at the monitor instead of the keyboard.