This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam controller maybe not sounding quite so good now

#1KillerTrufflePosted 3/21/2014 11:39:35 AM
Well it sounds like Valve still has some major things to work out with the Steam controller.

One of the things that surprised me about this article was about the FPS controls for Portal. I recall some time ago reading that for FPS, they planned to make the far edges of the touchpads behave as though you had an analog stick pushed all the way to the edge, letting you continually turn without lifting your thumb. The fact that this reviewer had to repeatedly lift his thumb and swipe makes it more like just using a regular old track pad - totally not good for FPS gaming. I'm hoping that (and most of his other problems) are just driver issues that can be fine tuned. But it really seems they should have at *least* had the controller working well for FPS style play with the edges working properly.

I wonder if they've changed direction on development for that aspect? If so, sounds like a very bad move.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/steam-controller-hands-on-at-gdc-2014/
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#2SinisterSlayPosted 3/21/2014 12:10:01 PM(edited)
I was more interested in it like 4 revisions ago, back when it still had odd buttons and a screen on it.

Now it's just an awkward x360 controller.

They could just give us software that lets you use your thumbstick/joy stick to control the cursor.

-Edit
Come to think of it, I might write a program that does that.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3cody4783Posted 3/21/2014 11:44:58 AM
^Yeah, the controller seems to get less and less interesting the more they revise it.

It's almost like it's slowly being boiled down to being a normal controller with weird touchpads, rather than going COMPLETELY out of the norm all around almost.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#4KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 11:49:51 AM
I agree. The previous versions have looked better to me. I could probably still adapt to the buttons and stuff, but now that even the touchpads are apparently not working the way they were originally planned, it's sounding less and less intriguing.
---
#5ElfergosPosted 3/21/2014 11:54:39 AM(edited)
I hear the next revision will replace the track pads with analogue sticks....

I'm still kind of interested in the steam controller, I'm not in to first person shooters so that doesn't so much bother me, but I would want to use it on third person shooters like mass effect so I can play it a big screen instead of on a desk and also for RTS's which seems a much better fit for it. They need to get their finger out and finalise it though, I find it hilarious that the steam boxes are now ready for release and the only things that valve are responsible for (the OS and controller) still don't seem anything like ready. But given the track record its not much a of a surprise.
#6ArkonBladePosted 3/21/2014 11:57:31 AM
I was always sketch on it to start with but still have the try it before I pass judgement or if enough other people who have tried it give it thumbs down well...

So far its looking like I will just be sticking with the 360 controller for now.
---
PC game sales= more games then you could ever dream of owning.
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade
#7MonkeymagePosted 3/21/2014 11:59:39 AM
I thought I remembered reading that the touchpads would be customizable; i.e. you could have one act as a regular analog controller and the other as a trackpad, or both as analog sticks / both as trackpads.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#8KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 12:06:40 PM
Monkeymage posted...
I thought I remembered reading that the touchpads would be customizable; i.e. you could have one act as a regular analog controller and the other as a trackpad, or both as analog sticks / both as trackpads.

At some point, but right now, it doesn't sound like it even has analog stick type functionality. It sounds like it's effectively just a sensitive version of the same trackpad mechanics you find on any laptop these days. Which is pretty horrible for most gaming purposes.
---
#9DawnshadowPosted 3/21/2014 12:25:39 PM
cody4783 posted...
^Yeah, the controller seems to get less and less interesting the more they revise it.

It's almost like it's slowly being boiled down to being a normal controller with weird touchpads, rather than going COMPLETELY out of the norm all around almost.

There's probably a good reason for this-- game pads basically haven't changed since the dual shock era (aside from the Wiimote) and the only thing that's done differently is that some controllers flip the left analogue stick and digital pad. You have four shoulder buttons, four face buttons on the right, a digital pad on the left, two analogue sticks, and two menu function buttons and sometimes an OS button or touch screen in the center. Even the Nintendo classic controller and the Wii U tablet uses this general layout.

So the Steam controller slowly iterating toward the standard makes sense-- it's probably a standard for a reason.
---
Pokemon X - 2664-2616-4997 - Munna, Sigilyph, Duosion - PM me!
#10SinisterSlayPosted 3/21/2014 12:26:58 PM
Dawnshadow posted...
cody4783 posted...

There's probably a good reason for this-- game pads basically haven't changed since the dual shock era (aside from the Wiimote) and the only thing that's done differently is that some controllers flip the left analogue stick and digital pad. You have four shoulder buttons, four face buttons on the right, a digital pad on the left, two analogue sticks, and two menu function buttons and sometimes an OS button or touch screen in the center. Even the Nintendo classic controller and the Wii U tablet uses this general layout.

So the Steam controller slowly iterating toward the standard makes sense-- it's probably a standard for a reason.

The old standard was 6 face buttons for PC controllers, and only 2 shoulders.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence