This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam controller maybe not sounding quite so good now

#11arleasPosted 3/21/2014 12:33:11 PM
I'm sure it's some kind of messed up settings somewhere... I don't know why they'd be making it worse instead of better.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#12DawnshadowPosted 3/21/2014 12:35:54 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Dawnshadow posted...
cody4783 posted...
^Yeah, the controller seems to get less and less interesting the more they revise it.

It's almost like it's slowly being boiled down to being a normal controller with weird touchpads, rather than going COMPLETELY out of the norm all around almost.

There's probably a good reason for this-- game pads basically haven't changed since the dual shock era (aside from the Wiimote) and the only thing that's done differently is that some controllers flip the left analogue stick and digital pad. You have four shoulder buttons, four face buttons on the right, a digital pad on the left, two analogue sticks, and two menu function buttons and sometimes an OS button or touch screen in the center. Even the Nintendo classic controller and the Wii U tablet uses this general layout.

So the Steam controller slowly iterating toward the standard makes sense-- it's probably a standard for a reason.

The old standard was 6 face buttons for PC controllers, and only 2 shoulders.

Old standard, yes. Most current games seem to have adopted Xinput and it's more console-like layout (four shoulders and all.)
---
Pokemon X - 2664-2616-4997 - Munna, Sigilyph, Duosion - PM me!
#13wildog2006Posted 3/21/2014 12:42:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fei1Fh4owDA

This is an actual hands-on preview of the current model. With it being explained by one of the people actively working on it at Valve. You guys are freaking out about things they're talking about.

Trackpad vs Analog sticks? Check.
Why they slightly changed the layout? Check.
Their trigger buttons? Check.

Chill out and get better info than an article written by someone who didn't even talk to the developer standing at the booth.
---
London-SV on Throttle Control in Gran Turismo 6 ~ ''Unless you're flooring it at every opportunity... Try to be a little more genital on the accelerator''
#14SinisterSlayPosted 3/21/2014 12:42:28 PM
Dawnshadow posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Dawnshadow posted...
cody4783 posted...
^Yeah, the controller seems to get less and less interesting the more they revise it.

It's almost like it's slowly being boiled down to being a normal controller with weird touchpads, rather than going COMPLETELY out of the norm all around almost.

There's probably a good reason for this-- game pads basically haven't changed since the dual shock era (aside from the Wiimote) and the only thing that's done differently is that some controllers flip the left analogue stick and digital pad. You have four shoulder buttons, four face buttons on the right, a digital pad on the left, two analogue sticks, and two menu function buttons and sometimes an OS button or touch screen in the center. Even the Nintendo classic controller and the Wii U tablet uses this general layout.

So the Steam controller slowly iterating toward the standard makes sense-- it's probably a standard for a reason.

The old standard was 6 face buttons for PC controllers, and only 2 shoulders.

Old standard, yes. Most current games seem to have adopted Xinput and it's more console-like layout (four shoulders and all.)

Doesn't mean it's better.

I'd prefer Valve had found an even better layout.
Personally I hate the current controllers because they are too small. No place to put the majority of your fingers.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#15calcyclePosted 3/21/2014 12:46:42 PM
I wish they put the face buttons into the touchpad so that we could tap them instead of dragging if we wanted to.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#16SinisterSlayPosted 3/21/2014 12:50:41 PM
calcycle posted...
I wish they put the face buttons into the touchpad so that we could tap them instead of dragging if we wanted to.

How about swappable face plates so you could swap in sticks or pads or buttons as you need.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#17GoIrish80Posted 3/21/2014 12:51:35 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
I was more interested in it like 4 revisions ago, back when it still had odd buttons and a screen on it.

Now it's just an awkward x360 controller.

Definitely agree, I was pretty excited to try it when I first saw it, but now like you said it just seems to be morphing into an awkward "normal" controller.

I'll still probably try it out, but definitely not as interested as I was in the beginning.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#18calcyclePosted 3/21/2014 12:59:52 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
calcycle posted...

How about swappable face plates so you could swap in sticks or pads or buttons as you need.

What I mean is that in current controllers you either use the analog stick or face buttons, this controller included. What if we combined the 2 using the touchpad and maybe put small bumps where the face buttons would be and by doing so allow the use of the camera and face buttons at the same time.
---
Do not add to the Chocolate of Coach, or worship false Bills for this will imprison thou within the Blood Harvest finale for all eternity
Steam: Albatrossing
#19KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 1:01:40 PM
wildog2006 posted...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fei1Fh4owDA

This is an actual hands-on preview of the current model. With it being explained by one of the people actively working on it at Valve. You guys are freaking out about things they're talking about.

Trackpad vs Analog sticks? Check.
Why they slightly changed the layout? Check.
Their trigger buttons? Check.

Chill out and get better info than an article written by someone who didn't even talk to the developer standing at the booth.

The trackpad vs. analog sticks still sounds like they're doing either/or now. Months ago, there was some statement about having the right pad using basically 1:1 trackpad movement until you hit the outer ring, at which point it would actually trigger rapid continual rotation as long as you stayed on the outer ring. Basically, the outer edge would act like an analog stick, while the bulk of the center acted more like a typical trackpad. That hybrid concept actually sounded pretty intriguing and potentially useful. I don't see any indication here they're still looking at that.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#20KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 1:03:20 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
calcycle posted...

This was also initially mentioned - or at least implied - with the controller being advertised as "fully moddable." There might have even been an explicit statement that you could switch out components like the touchpads for actual analog stick modules if you wanted. I don't recall specifically tho.

It'd be cool if they keep it designed so that you *could* put a touchscreen module back in if you wanted to... Based on the current design tho, that seems unlikely.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23