This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HDMI out to TV issue (Laptop) HELP!

#1staticxtreme5Posted 3/21/2014 3:09:56 PM
OK, so I have the MSI GS70 Stealth laptop and I am trying to set it up to play games on my TV with it. I have hooked up the HDMI and I can get it to show various screens on my TV depending on how I set it (show full desktop, or extended desktop mode, etc). I cannot, however; get it to play games. I start up a game and it will show the menus on the TV just fine (so far Ive tried Skyrim and New Vegas), but once it gets to the actual gameplay the screen goes black. If i pause the screen it pops back up on the TV, but unpausing it again will make it go black again. Any ideas to fix this issue? I MAY not have the most current Intel integrated drivers, but Im quite certain I have the current drivers for the 765m GPU (which is what I want to use anyways, obviously).
#2LvthnPosted 3/21/2014 3:21:56 PM
Have you done any self-troubleshooting?

Some things that will narrow it down considerably:

- Have you tested with another HDMI cable?
- Have you tested the laptop with HDMI out to another display?
- Have you tested a similar device on the same HDMI on that TV?

Any one of these will narrow it down. So will your TV model. Do all of those steps and your problem should be conclusively isolated to at least which component needs troubleshooting.
#3staticxtreme5(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 4:18:09 PM
Ive done a bit, yes. Ive tried multiple HDMI cords, all do the same thing. I don't have another display I can try but my old laptop did indeed work with the TV I have. Its really weird because it shows the desktop and when I start a game it will show the starting menus and such, but once it actually gets to gameplay it just goes black. Ive tried a couple different resolutions as well, but I cant say Ive thoroughly messed with it. I just figured I was overlooking something obvious and hoped someone would have a quick answer so I don't spend all day trying to figure it out.

Im wondering if it has anything to do with the stupid dual graphics where the intel integrated graphics and nvidia gpu both function, depending on the PCs needs.
#4LvthnPosted 3/21/2014 4:42:52 PM
staticxtreme5 posted...
Im wondering if it has anything to do with the stupid dual graphics where the intel integrated graphics and nvidia gpu both function, depending on the PCs needs.

It vaguely occurred to me that if the HDMI out is using integrated graphics rather than going through the GPU...but not knowing how that laptop is built, I didn't want to talk out of my ass.
#5staticxtreme5(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2014 4:47:19 PM(edited)
In Nvidia control panel I had it set for the TV to use the 765m and the laptop to use the integrated graphics, but I'm not certain it worked right. I even went a step further and disabled the laptops screen entirely, and had the primary and only display to the TV.
#6MasterDonGeroPosted 3/21/2014 5:23:27 PM
Try disabling the Intel graphics completely.
---
3570K (4.5 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom