This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Win8.1 Won't Restart/Shutdown

#11Killah PriestPosted 3/25/2014 7:41:26 AM
Is there a way I can just tell which program it is by checking the logs it creates (it says it is creating logs)

as long as you didn't delete the logs WhoCrashed will generally tell you exactly whats at fault.

although a lot of times it just gives you a generic "this is caused by drivers and not hardware" so you'd have to dig a bit deeper.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#12BeerOnTap(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2014 10:07:33 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Sounds like your blue screening.

Make sure all your drivers are up to date. If still no good, return the device and replace it because it probably has bad hardware.

Return the device? This is a custom built gaming rig. Not a dell from best buy.
#13BeerOnTap(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2014 10:11:11 PM
Okay I ran who crashed and it mentioned some of windows drivers. I'm guessing they're related to netowkring but I don't know for certain. It mentioned that "crash related to a driver from third party which cannot be pinpointed" or something like that.
I tried updating a lot of drivers. When I have more time I will manually seek out all latest versions of all drivers.
I simply don't know what to do. It doesn't do it all the time. But when it does, it just hangs on a restart or shutdown a bunch of times in a row.
Is there another method to sort through these logs? I paid 100.00 for windows, does Microsoft offer support ???
#14SinisterSlayPosted 3/26/2014 5:39:00 AM
BeerOnTap posted...
Okay I ran who crashed and it mentioned some of windows drivers. I'm guessing they're related to netowkring but I don't know for certain. It mentioned that "crash related to a driver from third party which cannot be pinpointed" or something like that.
I tried updating a lot of drivers. When I have more time I will manually seek out all latest versions of all drivers.
I simply don't know what to do. It doesn't do it all the time. But when it does, it just hangs on a restart or shutdown a bunch of times in a row.
Is there another method to sort through these logs? I paid 100.00 for windows, does Microsoft offer support ???

That's a useless report.
Blue screens exist solely to indicate a driver error. It's always a driver error.

So check the usual suspects, video, audio, chipsets.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#15BeerOnTap(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2014 5:55:57 AM
SinisterSlay poWill...
BeerOnTap posted...

That's a useless report.
Blue screens exist solely to indicate a driver error. It's always a driver error.

Thank you. I'm starting to think it is the driver for My Bluetooth dongle. WillSinisterSlay posted...
BeerOnTap posted...

That's a useless report.

I'm suspecting it is my Bluetooth dongle's driver but don't know for sure yet. I will check on Friday when I have time and report back.
Keep in mind, the blue screen with the ;( only appears after my attempt to shutdown hangs for what seems like an eternity.
#16MasterDonGeroPosted 3/26/2014 5:59:20 AM
Psythik posted...
Okay now I know you're trolling.

Why is that every single time I see a post of yours, you're just spewing s*** out all over the keyboard?
---
3570K (4.5 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#17BeerOnTap(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2014 4:08:52 PM
okay so i ran WhoCrashed
This is what I got:

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 3/30/2014 3:55:39 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032914-4437-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x150B36)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFE000041A5880, 0xFFFFD000203FE860)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
#18popping4itPosted 3/30/2014 4:20:33 PM(edited)
do you have any usb devices plugged into your computer? try disconnecting them and shutdown.

Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFE000041A5880, 0xFFFFD000203FE860)

0x12C = 300, time-out after 5minutes

0xFFFFE000041A5880 = The thread currently holding onto the Plug-and-Play (PnP) lock.
---
whens mahvel?
#19PsythikPosted 3/30/2014 6:13:48 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
Psythik posted...
Okay now I know you're trolling.

Why is that every single time I see a post of yours, you're just spewing s*** out all over the keyboard?
You're one to talk.
---
4670K | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 9-9-9-24 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | BitFenix Phenom M (white) | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#20BeerOnTap(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2014 6:26:01 PM
Okay so thank you all for the aide so far. The issue is still not resolved..

To make it clear, when I go to shutdown or restart, it goes like it's going to do it as normal. But then it just hangs. Eventually I get a blue screen (though my shutdown screen is already blue) that has a frowny face like this ;-( . . . It says something along the lines of, and I am paraphrasing because I don't remember exactly, Windows encountered an error and is collecting information. Then it'll just restart.

This is my latest WhoCrashed encounter
On Mon 3/31/2014 12:29:28 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\033014-4421-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x150B36)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x4, 0x12C, 0xFFFFE000003D93C0, 0xFFFFD0002019D860)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
***What's weird is that it says 3/31/2014 but it's still 10:24pm 3/30/14 here on the East coast, but I guess that's neither here nor there?

As far as USB devices plugged it, I have my Keyboard, my mouse, and my bluetooth dongle (Kinivo).
Can someone help me on what I should do?