This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Win8.1 Won't Restart/Shutdown

#21ClouddxPosted 3/30/2014 7:29:31 PM
Boot into safe mode, and run chkdsk.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#22BeerOnTap(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2014 7:33:20 PM
Clouddx posted...

how do i do this?
#23popping4itPosted 3/30/2014 10:46:37 PM
did you try removing the blutooth thing then shutting down?
---
whens mahvel?
#24Bmvc1Posted 3/30/2014 11:33:52 PM
Psythik posted...
Okay now I know you're trolling.

The hell are you talking about?
#25arleasPosted 3/31/2014 2:36:20 AM
BeerOnTap posted...
Clouddx posted...

how do i do this?

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6221-chkdsk-check-drive-errors-windows-8-a.html
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#26Fade2black001Posted 3/31/2014 4:08:35 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
BeerOnTap posted...
Okay I ran who crashed and it mentioned some of windows drivers. I'm guessing they're related to netowkring but I don't know for certain. It mentioned that "crash related to a driver from third party which cannot be pinpointed" or something like that.
I tried updating a lot of drivers. When I have more time I will manually seek out all latest versions of all drivers.
I simply don't know what to do. It doesn't do it all the time. But when it does, it just hangs on a restart or shutdown a bunch of times in a row.
Is there another method to sort through these logs? I paid 100.00 for windows, does Microsoft offer support ???

That's a useless report.
Blue screens exist solely to indicate a driver error. It's always a driver error.

So check the usual suspects, video, audio, chipsets.

Ummm... No they aren't. Most BSOD's are caused by bad drivers. They are not ONLY for drivers though. You getting a BSOD for overheating is definitely not caused by drivers. You getting a BSOD for a unstable Overclock with the BSOD said that the CPU missed a timing in one of its cores. These are definitely not driver related.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#27Killah PriestPosted 3/31/2014 7:46:40 AM
update bios
update all drivers including chipset
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#28SinisterSlayPosted 3/31/2014 7:56:22 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
BeerOnTap posted...
Okay I ran who crashed and it mentioned some of windows drivers. I'm guessing they're related to netowkring but I don't know for certain. It mentioned that "crash related to a driver from third party which cannot be pinpointed" or something like that.
I tried updating a lot of drivers. When I have more time I will manually seek out all latest versions of all drivers.
I simply don't know what to do. It doesn't do it all the time. But when it does, it just hangs on a restart or shutdown a bunch of times in a row.
Is there another method to sort through these logs? I paid 100.00 for windows, does Microsoft offer support ???

That's a useless report.
Blue screens exist solely to indicate a driver error. It's always a driver error.

Ummm... No they aren't. Most BSOD's are caused by bad drivers. They are not ONLY for drivers though. You getting a BSOD for overheating is definitely not caused by drivers. You getting a BSOD for a unstable Overclock with the BSOD said that the CPU missed a timing in one of its cores. These are definitely not driver related.

Those are driver errors.
Overheating is the hardware failing and the driver throwing an error, Then BSOD.
Unstable overclock (usually mv operations being strange) again have drivers throw errors.

A BSOD was designed for driver errors. That's all it ever reports. You will get different errors (and since Vista, different colours) for other problems.

Even your CPU drivers (that's actually a thing) can throw errors.

BSOD's are actually stop errors caused by low level processes getting errors with hardware. Windows communicates with hardware through drivers (well it's more complicated than that).

What's odd is that the 9x kernel could attempt to recover from a BSOD (it tried to run without that driver, which might work depending on what just errored) but the NT kernel cannot. I don't know why MS decided to go backwards on that.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#29Fade2black001Posted 3/31/2014 8:05:34 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
BeerOnTap posted...

That's a useless report.

Those are driver errors.
Overheating is the hardware failing and the driver throwing an error, Then BSOD.
Unstable overclock (usually mv operations being strange) again have drivers throw errors.

A BSOD was designed for driver errors. That's all it ever reports. You will get different errors (and since Vista, different colours) for other problems.

Even your CPU drivers (that's actually a thing) can throw errors.

BSOD's are actually stop errors caused by low level processes getting errors with hardware. Windows communicates with hardware through drivers (well it's more complicated than that).

What's odd is that the 9x kernel could attempt to recover from a BSOD (it tried to run without that driver, which might work depending on what just errored) but the NT kernel cannot. I don't know why MS decided to go backwards on that.

Well then... I am wrong and you are right. Thanks for the info
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#30SinisterSlayPosted 3/31/2014 8:17:05 AM
Fade2black001 posted...

Well then... I am wrong and you are right. Thanks for the info

Your not wrong, BSOD's are misleading.

They can mean hardware failure (a drive threw a fit because the hardware is failing) or just bad driver coding. Or faulty hardware combined with driver coding (like the nVidia 500 series driver errors with drivers above 314.22).

Windows is terribly stupid about this. I often see those USB extra monitor plugins and those USB docking stations cause blue screens. How stupid is that? Why should a USB device cause a system stop error? Why can't windows just deactivate the device and move on?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence