This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you almost get a keen feeling of pity for console gamers who pay full price

#1BendoHendoPosted 3/22/2014 12:03:07 PM
for their games?

On the PC platform, in a matter of months, AAA games are $20-30. A few months later you can snag them for $15$ or so. Or, if you're like me, you finally buy them once they hit $5 - 7.50$ on a flash sale. And I don't just mean Steam. There is now an abundance of websites that give you Steam/Origin/Desura keys for cheap.

I almost feel for console games. Almost.

--
#2romsnbombsPosted 3/22/2014 1:48:45 PM(edited)
I am in my first experience of a disk enabled console with the Wii U, since my last real console before that was the SNES.

I must say that firstly I hate how noisy the disk drive is, and secondly it makes me angry that the game can't even be installed. And the disk just runs and runs like a jet aircraft engine (far more noisy than my PC, which is a joke).

But what amazes me even more is that for the benefit of downloading the game from nintendo e shop and not using the diskdrive, the game is actually more expensive.

And what makes me think that some people at nintendo must just be plain stupid, is nonsense like this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129397-Nintendo-Explains-Why-Digital-Games-Arent-Any-Cheaper

Why on earth would they want to create "value in disks", just so that those same disks can be passed around on the second hand market and deprive them of many more sales, that could be created if not as many of those disks were there and the download price was a little cheaper?
---
2600k | GTX 780 | P8P67 M Pro | 8GB
#3bluemooglePosted 3/22/2014 2:47:12 PM
Yea, it's nice not having to pay outrageous prices for games that last 4-5 hours. I only pay full price if I'm really excited for the game on release day (DE:HR being most recent), or if I like the developer and I want to support them (Obsidian & South Park: Stick of Truth).

I bought a 3DS over Christmas and games are "only" $30-40, and even then it was really weird to pay that much. Fortunately there were a string of lucky sales on the eShop and some discounted eShop cards, so I still saved a good amount of money. I can't imagine paying a full $40 for a game like Super Mario 3D Land, though... took me 4 hours to beat it.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#4Bmvc1Posted 3/22/2014 2:49:41 PM
No. Gamefly.
#5Freelance_WolfPosted 3/22/2014 3:01:32 PM
No. I pay full price for games I really want, whether it's for consoles/handhelds/PCs. Why would anyone care what other people do with their money? If someone buys a game at full price and enjoyed every minute of it, then to them it's money well spent.

I also support the companies by buying at full price, especially indie games where every cent counts for them.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#6gameonlockPosted 3/22/2014 3:03:56 PM
This is something I have never thought about. Mainly because I don't care what other people do with their money. Unless it somehow benefits me.
---
What I said is my opinion.
#7MadoifPosted 3/22/2014 3:07:12 PM
Freelance_Wolf posted...
No. I pay full price for games I really want, whether it's for consoles/handhelds/PCs. Why would anyone care what other people do with their money? If someone buys a game at full price and enjoyed every minute of it, then to them it's money well spent.

I also support the companies by buying at full price, especially indie games where every cent counts for them.

Why? Because when people drop a ton of money for crap games, expect that to affect the decisions of publishers/developers when releasing new games.

DLC, map-packs/character packs for example are not good practices imo.
---
Monster Hunter Usernames:
Fidelis HR20-PS2 data;Madoif HR9-PS3 data
#8johnny_payPosted 3/22/2014 3:15:58 PM
Madoif posted...
Freelance_Wolf posted...

Why? Because when people drop a ton of money for crap games, expect that to affect the decisions of publishers/developers when releasing new games.

DLC, map-packs/character packs for example are not good practices imo.

its the people who buy it day 1 that keep games coming to pc.
#9JKatarnPosted 3/22/2014 3:20:56 PM
Not really as the huge console gaming market subsidizes the creation/release of PC ports, without the console market you can bet PC games would be higher priced.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#10sonic_man00Posted 3/22/2014 3:24:06 PM
No, Because I'm a console gamer, And games drop in price too on there. Example:

I went into Gamestop, December 2013, And bought Playstation All-Stars for $15 dollars. That came out in November of 2012. Now on PC, Skyrim had a sale, Where it was the exact same price (maybe around 12, who knows), But it has been out for almost 3 years.

Your argument is invalid.
---
Windows 8 - AMD Dual-Core E-3000 - 4 GB RAM - ATi Radeon HD 6310
I will change this sig when Gabe posts a picture of himself eating a Twinkie.