This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GPU usage is at 99% on boot, driver reinstall makes everything work normally

#1MonkeymagePosted 3/22/2014 12:06:05 PM
I have an EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC. There are no background processes running, and I've run Malwarebytes several times. Basically no game will run at an acceptable speed before the driver re-install, and 3DMark test is incredibly different when comparing the pre- and post- driver re-install.

My PSU is an Antec 750W, and I've checked all the connections.

Basically I have an EVGA RMA waiting for me but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some simple fix I was missing. Any savant have an idea of what could cause this problem?
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#2happyscrub1Posted 3/22/2014 12:38:29 PM(edited)
Do you have a external WD hard drive and install their the software that came with it?

Check your resource monitor... not just task manager. Something there might be eating you up.

---
Who is happyscrub? Click to find out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRaxB9eK1X4
#3popping4itPosted 3/22/2014 1:01:25 PM
sounds like a coin mining virus
---
whens mahvel?
#4Monkeymage(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2014 3:09:23 PM
Hmmm. So I found some unnamed process from "Microsoft Corporation" with a Cyrillic character after it that didn't seem to be doing anything, so I shut that down and it didn't do anything, and then there was another COMs process that was occupying 32% of my CPU resources. I shut that down and my GPU usage dropped down to 0%. Very weird that Malwarebytes didn't catch this, and there wasn't any crazy network traffic, which I'm assuming there would be with a coin mining virus.
---
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI
#5popping4itPosted 3/23/2014 1:22:39 PM
you're welcome.
---
whens mahvel?