This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

need help with new build

#1Rodders_Posted 3/22/2014 4:00:54 PM
Finally put together my first pc and it powers up there's a but tho. I get the q code 53 which in the manual says it's a problem with the installation of memory or wrong memory speed. I have tried different dimm slots and had no luck do you think my ram sticks are the problem? I'm stuck now trying tdifferent things and I'm so frustrated! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Incase it matters my build is

Asus z87 pro motherboard (used)
I5 4670k
Gtx 680
8 gig corsair vengeance 1600mhz
#2SnadadosPosted 3/22/2014 4:22:43 PM
Did you try using a single stick of ram at a time?
Provided the issue is a single bad stick of ram or a bad ram slot this should allow your to isolate the problem.

4670 / z87 mobos should support 1600 speed ram by default and from a quick search I didn't see any vengeance corsair ram that required more than 1.5v.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#3Rodders_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2014 6:04:17 PM
I have not tried that no but it's 1am here in England so I've given up for tonight.I will report back tomorrow
#4Rodders_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2014 2:54:44 AM
Right, so I have tried inserting each ram stick separately with no luck. I've tried removing the battery and that still hasn't worked, I've removed the cpu to check if the pins are bent and they are fine. I'm so frustrated and don't know what to do, I was so excited about building my first pc and it's been a bit of a nightmare to be honest!
#5Lonestar2000Posted 3/23/2014 3:19:16 AM
Try the MemOK! button. If that doesn't work do a BIOS reset.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#6Rodders_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2014 3:55:21 AM(edited)
I've tried the mem ok button sorry forgot to mention that. How do I do a bios reset?

EDIT: if by this mean flicking the cmos jumper I have already tried this what else can I try?
#7Lonestar2000Posted 3/23/2014 3:58:58 AM
Rodders_ posted...
I've tried the mem ok button sorry forgot to mention that. How do I do a bios reset?

EDIT: if by this mean flicking the cmos jumper I have already tried this what else can I try?

Yes, you made sure to remove the battery first, right? Have you tested the RAM in another computer? YOu can try updating the BIOS using BIOS Flashback.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#8Rodders_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2014 4:08:00 AM
I can't test the ram unfortunately as everyone else in my house lives in the stone age and are running computers using ddr2 ram with amd duron processors!

To flash the bios do I have to download the bios file into a usb then plug it into the mobo usb port right? What are the possible outcomes of flashing the bios as I have heard it came be dangerous?
#9Rodders_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2014 9:05:07 AM
I have tried the bios flash back with no success. The flash back worked but I still get the q code 53 which says:
"Memory initialization error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed"

I know this is complete BS as it says in my manual that it supports the ram that I have. I've just bought some more ram so will have to try that but if this doesn't work then I'll have to get another motherboard!

This there anything else I can do that I haven't tried?
#10Rodders_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2014 1:38:06 PM
Anyone??