This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do I "get into" the Warhammer 40k games

#1neoamericanPosted 3/22/2014 6:21:30 PM
I got them all on Steam Sale and I can't bring myself to "get into" them. I'm not taking a dig at the games themselves, but I just don't know where to begin. CoH was pretty laid out for you and after half a campaign you are good to go. The potential for BIG battles and great late game showdowns looks promising for the Warhammer games, but where do you "begin?"
---
The American dream means equal opportunity for its citizens. The neoamerican dream is the same thing but has a high speed car chase. {WOT}
#2thatauthorPosted 3/22/2014 6:23:53 PM
if you like third person shooters, maybe Space marine.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/55150/

it has a demo and is a good game, at least in my opinion.
---
Leave it to the atheist to have to explain a religious joke... ~ RaptorLC
#3neoamerican(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2014 6:24:32 PM
thatauthor posted...
if you like third person shooters, maybe Space marine.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/55150/

it has a demo and is a good game, at least in my opinion.

I'm referring to the RTSs.
---
The American dream means equal opportunity for its citizens. The neoamerican dream is the same thing but has a high speed car chase. {WOT}
#4thatauthorPosted 3/22/2014 6:31:04 PM
neoamerican posted...
I'm referring to the RTSs.

I know. but Space marine is a good game and is set in the universe, so if you like third person shooters, it might be a good game to get. I also play few RTS games outside of the Age of Empire 2+3 and I haven't played either in months.
---
Leave it to the atheist to have to explain a religious joke... ~ RaptorLC
#5SpazH3dPosted 3/22/2014 6:36:51 PM
The first Dawn of War, obviously. Just play the first campaign.
---
- My vision is augmented
#6neoamerican(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2014 6:39:50 PM
My issue with Warhammer is they just sort of go, "here is your MASSIVE stylized to a fault faction, Enjoy!" How do you know what is what? And the campaign is monopolized by the Hero units so you don't get real practice. Go online multiplayer, get served by guys who have been playing since launch. CPU skirmish, by the time you can go through half your tech tree to test stuff out, you have probably lost the map. Haven't quite had this issue with any other RTS, and I loved CoH series.
---
#7DiviDudePosted 3/22/2014 7:03:08 PM
I don't get it. With virtually no knowledge of anything Warhammer related, I jumped right into the human campaign in Dawn of War and never had any difficulty getting into it. And I'm not even an RTS guy.
#8TimePharaohPosted 3/22/2014 7:04:27 PM
Install
Press play

Congrats, you're "into" it.
#9BendoHendoPosted 3/22/2014 9:23:20 PM
I'd imagine you'd launch the application and then begin a new campaign. *shrug*
#10RogueStrikerPosted 3/22/2014 9:40:17 PM
There's tutorials and campaigns. A kid could get it >_>

Hell even CoH is supposed to be more advanced than Dawn of War...
---
Gotta love Photon Cannon.
1934-1042-4099