This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do I "get into" the Warhammer 40k games

#11TES_NutPosted 3/22/2014 10:27:20 PM
look on ebay for someone selling a ton of figures cheap, and get some model paint.
---
"Sing of Manetheren, the sword that could not be broken
...Weep for Manetheren. Weep for what is lost forever"
#12That1GuyyPosted 3/22/2014 10:46:01 PM
Dawn of War 1 does not focus solely on hero units, and Company of Heroes is more complex than it.

Just play the campaign.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#13Hicks233Posted 3/22/2014 11:56:21 PM(edited)
Chaos Gate was turn based and is still enjoyable. So that could be worth a try.

With Dawn of War - did you think to you know... read the manual?
---
http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=9458
Sheep are propper dumb, they run away when you go to stroke em
#14neoamerican(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2014 3:54:27 PM
So I tried pretending I'm not playing Warhammer and that I'm playing CoH. I'm way less lost.

I can't say I'm a fan of the campaign. Too many heroes. They feel OP and I'm not learning the actual game. I find myself just rushing in the heroes.
---
The American dream means equal opportunity for its citizens. The neoamerican dream is the same thing but has a high speed car chase. {WOT}
#15LordOfLegaciesPosted 3/24/2014 4:00:15 PM
There's like 3 heroes in the campaign, I don't understand how that's too many. If you feel they're hindering your learning and enjoyment just don't use them. They're pretty worthless by themselves anyway. They're hard to kill but most of them have no real means of crowd control.
---
Me: Nobody takes the appeal system seriously so nobody cares if you remove their appeal privileges. *removes my appeal privilages*
Yep, sure f***ing showed me.
#16KillerTrufflePosted 3/24/2014 4:08:54 PM
Are you running something like the overworld campaign in Dark Crusade? Because that is definitely not the way to learn the game.

Uninstall all the expansions, and just start with the first Dawn of War, vanilla. It teaches you all the gaming mechanics and everything at a reasonable pace, and you should have no trouble at all picking it up, especially if you've played CoH before. CoH got its gameplay mechanics from Dawn of War. The campaign goes through teaching you the strengths and weaknesses of the various unit types, squad weapon upgrades, etc. Yes, you can rely a good bit on your commander if you choose to, but if you do that *too* much, you'll get your ass handed to you.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#17neoamerican(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2014 4:11:57 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...
There's like 3 heroes in the campaign, I don't understand how that's too many. If you feel they're hindering your learning and enjoyment just don't use them. They're pretty worthless by themselves anyway. They're hard to kill but most of them have no real means of crowd control.

The map/mission usually center or revolve on the hero in campaign, killing the interest in the plot if you ignore them. It just isn't fun.
---
The American dream means equal opportunity for its citizens. The neoamerican dream is the same thing but has a high speed car chase. {WOT}
#18neoamerican(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2014 4:13:21 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Are you running something like the overworld campaign in Dark Crusade? Because that is definitely not the way to learn the game.

Uninstall all the expansions, and just start with the first Dawn of War, vanilla. It teaches you all the gaming mechanics and everything at a reasonable pace, and you should have no trouble at all picking it up, especially if you've played CoH before. CoH got its gameplay mechanics from Dawn of War. The campaign goes through teaching you the strengths and weaknesses of the various unit types, squad weapon upgrades, etc. Yes, you can rely a good bit on your commander if you choose to, but if you do that *too* much, you'll get your ass handed to you.

Yeah, this is what I need to do. I hope I can via Steam.
---