This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How I feel owning a 4 TB external harddrive.

#11x ShadowPosted 3/23/2014 4:21:17 AM
Lonestar2000 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
When portable drives start to fail, its nearly impossible to back them up in the remaining time thanks to their sloth, size and low reliability.

There is this new thing called USB 3.0. Also, you can always take it out of the enclosure but it will void the warranty.

Yep, whenever you have an external fail, always try taking it out of the enclosure. I have a really old (somewhere around 8-10 years now, I'm guessing?) Seagate where about 3-4 or so years ago the drive started failing. So I just ripped open the enclosure and put it into my computer. Still working today.

Not to say that it'll fix the problem but yeah. Anyway though, I don't see much point in portable HDD's these days. You can buy 128GB USB 3.0 flash drives (or even smaller, 64GB microsd cards) for relatively little, and you can put almost anything on them. Yes, you'll have to clean them out and put new things on there every now and then... but it's 128gb. That's plenty of space. You could install Titanfall on there and still have space left over. They're much more durable and portable, and mechanical failure isn't a possibility. Price per gig can be as low as 0.33$/GB, which is decent. If you got that 4TB for a good deal I'd just leave it at your desktop.

Personally I have around 9.1TB on my desktop right now. Various HDD's that I've had for a long time. Some of them around 10 to... 15+ years old now I guess? One of them is a 1.5TB external, I just don't have space in case for it.
---
THIS TABLE... THIS TABLE!!~~! - Someone from an anime. Tables are very useful, indeed.
Almost orgasmically so.
#12rpgianPosted 3/23/2014 4:51:47 AM
I imagine there is an intense fear of when failure happens too. If its anywhere near full you should buy another to serve as a clone. I don't normally hoard stuff but I lost a 3tb external once and now I clone.
#13Kerr AvonPosted 3/23/2014 5:58:29 AM
BendoHendo posted...
It's like having the ****ing Library of Alexandria in my palm.

brb 1,000 of my DVD-ripped movies.
brb Thousands of my CD's
brb Tens of thousands of .pdfs
brb hundreds of Installers of all of my GOG games stored for easy access

All legally obtained of course. I love technology. I could be put on a desert island with this thing and a PC and have all the entertainment for life.

--

What does "brb" mean?
---
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#14elsmittyPosted 3/23/2014 6:05:34 AM
My spider sense is tingling because of all the ip theft in this topic... )-:
---
3ds friend code - 5069-4253-9174
steam profile - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077085301/
#15Killah PriestPosted 3/23/2014 6:07:43 AM
I don't like leaving mine plugged in and I'm too lazy to plug it in.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#16XeedyofNamzyPosted 3/23/2014 6:08:45 AM
What does "brb" mean?

Be right back.
#17NotQuiteAFreakPosted 3/23/2014 6:10:00 AM
Kerr Avon posted...
BendoHendo posted...
It's like having the ****ing Library of Alexandria in my palm.

brb 1,000 of my DVD-ripped movies.
brb Thousands of my CD's
brb Tens of thousands of .pdfs
brb hundreds of Installers of all of my GOG games stored for easy access

All legally obtained of course. I love technology. I could be put on a desert island with this thing and a PC and have all the entertainment for life.

--

What does "brb" mean?

Be right back... :/
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#18AsucaHayashiPosted 3/23/2014 6:12:27 AM(edited)
i would never put all my eggs in one basket tbh.

2x 2TB is fine but not 1x4 since i've had externals fail on me before.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/E5CYOem.png
#19TropicMoon10Posted 3/23/2014 6:27:52 AM(edited)
I've never experienced a hard drive failure fortunately, but I still think about it sometimes. Usually I keep all my important data in flash drives and just use the HDD for games
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#20JrTapia1991Posted 3/23/2014 6:39:34 AM
I've never had any HDD fail on me, but my bro's 1tb WD black drive is failing, go figure...with the money to ship it back and fancy packaging they want, might as well get a new drive since they just send back a refurbed drive anyway, and we all know how long those last, just check reviews on newegg >_>

Anyway, just make sure to have a backup. I wouldn't have everything on 1 drive either just in case. I have a 1.5tb external toshiba usb 3.0 I haven't come close to filling up.
---
3570k@4.2ghz|Z77 Asrock Extreme4m|Sapphire HD7950 boost|Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb|840 250gb SSD|1tb/2tb 7200 HDDs|Corsair HX750w|Asus 1080p 2ms|G400|CM Elite 430