This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there a portable device that reads .pdfs? Thats the only thing I care about.

#1BendoHendoPosted 3/23/2014 10:53:16 AM(edited)
I have a bunch of really important documents that are .pdfs that I need to have quick and easy access to. Is there a device that will read them? Obviously a laptop, but I need something more portable than that.

Does the Nook and Kindle read .pdfs? I mean ANY .pdf you can find or make, without having to buy an e-book. I don't have e-books, I have .pdfs that I custom make or use other user's custom .pdfs (not ones I buy from a store). Would that work?

--
#2a687947Posted 3/23/2014 10:53:23 AM
Any android device with the latest version of android can read .PDF files, you just have to download adobe reader, which is free, from the play store. A nexus 7 is pretty cheap, I think they're $229 for the cheapest one
#3LordSeiferPosted 3/23/2014 10:56:41 AM
my 4 year old blackberry does, id suspect most/all smartphones do
---
^ this
#4BendoHendo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2014 10:56:41 AM
a687947 posted...
android device with the latest version of android can read .PDF files, you just have to download adobe reader, which is free, from the play store. A nexus 7 is pretty cheap, I think they're $229 for the cheapest one

I'm worried about the screen size. Is there a .pdf viewing device that can read technical documents such as math/science textbooks? This will be for academic and other technical purposes.

I'm worried about 6 inch screens not being big enough.

--
#5kingoffpsPosted 3/23/2014 10:58:42 AM
Yeah any *proper* tablet (ipad, android) will do the trick. Some more basic ereaders may claim to handle pdfs but the usability and response time is likely horrible (from experience).
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...
#6a687947Posted 3/23/2014 11:01:25 AM
BendoHendo posted...
a687947 posted...
android device with the latest version of android can read .PDF files, you just have to download adobe reader, which is free, from the play store. A nexus 7 is pretty cheap, I think they're $229 for the cheapest one

I'm worried about the screen size. Is there a .pdf viewing device that can read technical documents such as math/science textbooks? This will be for academic and other technical purposes.

--

It's a little over 7" but there's also the nexus 10 or the newest 10" Samsung tablet. They should both be able to read any kind of .PDF, they're both fairly powerful as far as tablets go. I'd recommend the nexus though, a lot less bloatware
#7DragnfyrPosted 3/23/2014 11:05:50 AM(edited)
I think most mobile devices can read PDFs. If you want something larger to read textbooks and stuff I wouldn't really recommend any mobile device. The screens are simply too small. Reading books is fine but textbook pages are just too big to fit on a 10" screen.
---
15.4" Retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) | Node 304 mITX | Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI | Intel Core i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair 1x8GB | EVGA 600W | 120+64GB SSDs
#8BendoHendo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2014 11:12:12 AM
a687947 posted...
BendoHendo posted...
a687947 posted...

--

It's a little over 7" but there's also the nexus 10 or the newest 10" Samsung tablet. They should both be able to read any kind of .PDF, they're both fairly powerful as far as tablets go. I'd recommend the nexus though, a lot less bloatware

The Samsung Galaxy seems to be significantly cheaper than the Nexus. The Galaxy 10.1 is $330. Do they ever drop in price from this or go on sale, or is this about as cheap as it gets?

--
#9DRAGON07891230Posted 3/23/2014 1:58:53 PM
Turn your phone anyways and it's fine. 'Google office' (not its actual name) in the play store also reads pdfs.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#10uncleePosted 3/23/2014 2:32:15 PM
The Kindle DX reads PDF files pretty well. I had one a couple years ago (before the wife dropped it and broke the screen) and I never had any issues with navigating through the PDFs. It's really the only e-reader I'd recommend for PDF files. I new have a Kindle Paperwhite and it's terrible for PDFs.