This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Steam always this bad?

#41Silent Sniper IVPosted 3/24/2014 7:16:22 AM(edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d696t3yALAY

"face to foot style, how'd you like it?"
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#42JKatarnPosted 3/24/2014 7:32:04 AM
Clouddx posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...
I don't know wtf you guys are all on about. Steam is almost always running on my computer and it's only been down once for me in the last 3 weeks.

That is impossible.

Nothing is impossible with the power of imagination!
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#43LordOfLegaciesPosted 3/24/2014 3:45:53 PM
Clouddx posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...
I don't know wtf you guys are all on about. Steam is almost always running on my computer and it's only been down once for me in the last 3 weeks.

That is impossible.

Tell that to my Steam client that's been running fine all month.
---
Me: Nobody takes the appeal system seriously so nobody cares if you remove their appeal privileges. *removes my appeal privilages*
Yep, sure f***ing showed me.
#44WyzeGyePosted 3/24/2014 3:49:09 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...
Clouddx posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...

That is impossible.

That's literally impossible. Pull your head out of your ass
---
http://puu.sh/7Eoww/e5f7bf2a73.png
http://puu.sh/7EoG7/ff5a108d5c.png
#45KillerTrufflePosted 3/24/2014 3:49:22 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...
Clouddx posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...

That is impossible.

You're likely gone during most of the brief downtimes, and Steam automatically reconnects once it's finished, so you'd never know it was offline for a few minutes. They actually *choose* their maintenance times based on usage data, so the odds are more in your favor that you'll be gone during maintenance, since most people are.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#46arleasPosted 3/24/2014 3:54:42 PM
Clouddx posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...

That is impossible.

No it's not. The key words here are "for me".

Just because something on the internet is down for you doesn't mean it's down for everyone (except for Tuesday afternoon which is maintenance), which is exactly why we get 5000 "Is steam down for you too?" topics.

Also, it could mean that he is just not looking at his computer 24/7 to see every instance of "steam friends" being down. Also, "Steam friends" being down doesn't stop you from playing games single player (and in some cases you can play just fine multiplayer as well). If you don't play a lot of multiplayer games, you're not going to be as sensitive to the friends thing being down.

I used to play a lot of TF2 before I totally burned out on it, and I would be painfully aware of every time the steam friends thing went down for even a second. It would often make my backpack inaccessible forcing me to stick with whatever loadout I had before it went down.

It wasn't any more serious back then when it happened than it is now though. As Valve prepares to roll out some new features I expect it will go down a lot more often until it's finished.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png
#47ClouddxPosted 3/24/2014 4:49:05 PM
arleas posted...
Clouddx posted...
LordOfLegacies posted...

That is impossible.

No it's not. The key words here are "for me".

Just because something on the internet is down for you doesn't mean it's down for everyone (except for Tuesday afternoon which is maintenance), which is exactly why we get 5000 "Is steam down for you too?" topics.

Also, it could mean that he is just not looking at his computer 24/7 to see every instance of "steam friends" being down. Also, "Steam friends" being down doesn't stop you from playing games single player (and in some cases you can play just fine multiplayer as well). If you don't play a lot of multiplayer games, you're not going to be as sensitive to the friends thing being down.

I used to play a lot of TF2 before I totally burned out on it, and I would be painfully aware of every time the steam friends thing went down for even a second. It would often make my backpack inaccessible forcing me to stick with whatever loadout I had before it went down.

It wasn't any more serious back then when it happened than it is now though. As Valve prepares to roll out some new features I expect it will go down a lot more often until it's finished.

It's impossible, because EVERYONE knows that Steam has Maintenance every Tuesday. At this time everyone experiences the outage including him. Unless he has some secret that we all don't know about, he's BSing.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#48arleasPosted 3/24/2014 5:10:23 PM
Clouddx posted...
It's impossible, because EVERYONE knows that Steam has Maintenance every Tuesday. At this time everyone experiences the outage including him. Unless he has some secret that we all don't know about, he's BSing.

You missed it apparently. Just because steam friends is down doesn't mean that steam itself is down. If his client is running 24/7 then when steam maintenance happens, he gets a little notification on the friends window and other than that he can keep playing. I know that if you try to log in during one of these outages it will have trouble logging in, but if you're already logged in, you stay logged in.

Steam maintenance is only like 20-30 minutes once a week so if you happen to be away from the computer during that time, then FOR YOU it was never down. If I'm at work or asleep and steam goes down, does that affect me at all?

The rest of these "Is steam down OMGF what will I ever do?!!! HELP ME" posts, it's usually down for less than 10 minutes at a time. Do we really need "Steam is down, now it's up...it's back down... it's up" posts? I don't think so.

IF STEAM IS DOWN, GO TAKE A WALK OR WATCH NETFLIX OR PLAY WITH YOUR PET OR DO YOUR HOMEWORK OR SOMETHING (not for you, for everyone else)

Also, I wish everyone really DID know that steam had maintenance on Tuesdays. We were getting a "is steam down for you" post every Tuesday anyway. It should be expected but it is not.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3201564081.png