This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there such thing as Mainstream games?

#1TrueFinalePosted 3/23/2014 12:47:21 PM
If you were to think about it, there's actually no exact definition of what is a considered a mainstream game.

I think whether it is or not comes to whether the majority of the gaming community plays, has played or know about the game. For instance I would consider the following game or game series mainstream:
- WoW
- Dota2
- LoL
- CoD
- Battlefield
- Halo
- Diablo 3
- Minecraft
- Assassin's Creed
- Team Fortress 2
- GTA
- Dark Souls

Then there are games like these which are big titles that a lot of people know but is hard to consider whether they are or not, I don't think they are:
- Total War series
- Resident Evil
- Final Fantasy
- Starcraft 2
- Hitman
- Dark Souls

What do you guys think? That the idea of mainstream games don't really exist anymore?
---
My playmate #1 of 2: Stormena, multitasking skill P55 4GB RAM, Beauty HIS Radeon 7870 IceQ 2GB, Fitness Corsair 800W. Physique CM Storm Scout.
GT: XTrueFinale
#2JKatarnPosted 3/23/2014 12:49:48 PM
TrueFinale posted...
If you were to think about it, there's actually no exact definition of what is a considered a mainstream game.

I think whether it is or not comes to whether the majority of the gaming community plays, has played or know about the game. For instance I would consider the following game or game series mainstream:
- WoW
- Dota2
- LoL
- CoD
- Battlefield
- Halo
- Diablo 3
- Minecraft
- Assassin's Creed
- Team Fortress 2
- GTA
- Dark Souls

Then there are games like these which are big titles that a lot of people know but is hard to consider whether they are or not, I don't think they are:
- Total War series
- Resident Evil
- Final Fantasy
- Starcraft 2
- Hitman
- Dark Souls

What do you guys think? That the idea of mainstream games don't really exist anymore?

All but the Total War series and Dark Souls on your second list are quite mainstream.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#3cancerstormPosted 3/23/2014 12:56:26 PM
madden
nba 2k
cod
bf
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#4Lucavi000Posted 3/23/2014 1:02:24 PM
I'm sure that any and all AAA titles are mainstream.
#5SpazH3dPosted 3/23/2014 1:04:34 PM
A Mario game would be mainstream, because your mom knows about him. Maybe,
---
- My vision is augmented
#6clowningPosted 3/23/2014 1:38:42 PM
There is no objective criteria for "mainstream games". There never has been, it's all very ambiguous. It's another meaningless term like "casual", "hardcore", "good", "bad", etc. that people throw around, but no one knows what the hell anyone means when they use them.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle