This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Repairman goes to your house, fixes your sink, fixes your toilet, fixes your....

#31chandl34Posted 3/23/2014 9:40:47 PM(edited)
Tyranius2 posted...
jedinat posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
chandl34 posted...
So you're saying the devs made a game, sent you a free copy, and you aren't paying? Why did they send you a free copy?

more like you got that copy and didn't pay for it, just like the repairman didn't just show up at your doorstep, you called him in

Again, you're missing things. I won't even address your descent into physical goods above.

If you call the repairman in, you've established the sale. The repairman works for you specifically. This is an entirely different situation. A theoretical purchase versus blatant theft of time and effort.

So let's say he tightened the bolts of the plumbing in the entire apartment, every tenant has to pay his share, but you don't pay yours. Repairman didn't work for you specifically, and you still shafted him, just like with piracy.

So the devs are sending everyone free games and asking money for it?
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#32Norb_Posted 3/23/2014 9:44:35 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
jedinat posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
chandl34 posted...
So you're saying the devs made a game, sent you a free copy, and you aren't paying? Why did they send you a free copy?

more like you got that copy and didn't pay for it, just like the repairman didn't just show up at your doorstep, you called him in

Again, you're missing things. I won't even address your descent into physical goods above.

If you call the repairman in, you've established the sale. The repairman works for you specifically. This is an entirely different situation. A theoretical purchase versus blatant theft of time and effort.

So let's say he tightened the bolts of the plumbing in the entire apartment, every tenant has to pay his share, but you don't pay yours. Repairman didn't work for you specifically, and you still shafted him, just like with piracy.

Tenants don't pay for building-wide repairs, that's the responsibility of the landlord/property manager.

Apartment-specific repairs might be covered depending on the terms of the lease and the nature of the problem.
#33LOLownageasdPosted 3/23/2014 9:48:08 PM
I only pirate games when they're on sale so the devs lose less money.
---
"donot anger me. you have not yet begun to experiance the worst of my rage" -me
#34jernasPosted 3/23/2014 9:56:07 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#35Ivany2008Posted 3/23/2014 10:41:19 PM
It is my opinion that piracy is only ok if the product is no longer being supported by said company. There are thousands of games that would disappear just because we lack the technology to play them again.

Its rare to find someone outside a collector who still owns an XP to play a copy of Zork on their version of DOS. Give that same game to a modder who can translate that game to a version of Windows 7/8 and you can enjoy it whenever you want.

Do you have to pay him for his time/effort? No. Its a nice gesture though.

Let me put it another way. Should I have to pay Nintendo for a product that was released 25 years ago? In one way, yes I should. But in another, do they still support that product? Would they take someone to court if they found out they were pirating a copy of Bionic Commando for the original NES? A game they probably have no desire to bring forth to the Wii Virtual Console?

I'm not saying Piracy is right. But in some situations its the only way to replay gems from the past without paying a ridiculous amount of money to someone that isn't even Nintendo.

Just some food for thought. Its not ok to pirate something that is being released over the past 10 years and still has a version floating around. In some cases though, especially with Playstation 1 and SNES games your paying over 200 dollars to someone that isn't even the company that licensed/created the product, so how are they going to profit off of that?

and probably going to be modded in 3...2...1
#36DaedalusExPosted 3/23/2014 11:01:48 PM
I've been on this board for years and this is the worst topic on piracy I've ever seen. And that's saying a lot.
#37Xeeh_BitzPosted 3/23/2014 11:19:28 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
jedinat posted...
This might not be an entirely pathetic analogy if game developers came to your house with cracked copies of their games and installed them on your PC for you to play.

I haven't had that experience as yet.

...that's what the OP is supposed to be about right? Piracy? lol

the point is dismissing piracy as a victimless crime. no goods are lost, no sales are lost, nothing is lost so it's ok!!! that's what people think

only thing lost is the effort of the repairman, game dev in piracy's case

I dunno, might want to ask the console boards. They're really big on piracy now a days, PC Master race doesn't need to pirate because everything is cheap and we're not peasants.
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#38matu90rkPosted 3/23/2014 11:32:53 PM
Most people don't care if it's Ok or not. Just sayin'.
#39SlaynPosted 3/23/2014 11:51:19 PM
I kind of agree with the above, Nintendo has been VERY bad about releasing older products. I honestly expected GBA titles on my 3ds but they seemed to all go to the Wii U, and at a VERY slow rate. They still haven't released SMB3 from NES, and that was not only scheduled for Nov/Dec, but they already have it in Europe. I don't feel bad because Nintendo isn't getting my money from purchasing GBA games on ebay anyway.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#40chandl34Posted 3/24/2014 12:01:46 AM
A lot of those re-releases are altered from their original versions, such as newer releases of Dragon Quest games being significantly easier. I usually would rather play the original.
---
... even on Earth Mode.