This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Repairman goes to your house, fixes your sink, fixes your toilet, fixes your....

#301chandl34Posted 3/25/2014 12:13:43 PM(edited)
Ch3wy posted...
If the cost and ease of production were as negligible for tangible goods as it is for software, then world hunger would be solved and theft would be a non-issue due to the practically unlimited amount of resources.

Oh yeah, I'd rather be a service-based developer (maintaining a major product or building custom products), than a product-based developer (churning out crappy iPhone games) any day. Makes it so I don't have to worry about theft.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#302Worknofun370Posted 3/25/2014 11:48:12 AM
chandl34 posted...
But the difference is ease/cost of reproduction (which are more or less the same thing). Even the millions of people re-distributing the product pay a negligible price.

No, they are not more or less they same thing. They are very different things. One is the ease it is to reproduce an item, and another is the cost to reproduce an item... they are not the same, they may be related in some cases.... but they are in no ways the same thing.

You're also missing the point that the difference is goods were lost and need to be replaced in one example (book/car) and not the other (piracy). I'm still not getting why you don't realize that, but I must blame myself for apparently not making my point clear enough.

And any example of comparing a stolen good to piracy will fail at that point.

You can tell a lot about someone when they lose a debate. Do they dig their heels in and become stubborn? Or do they man up and admit when they're wrong and grow?

Lets see what happens. :)
#303KillerTrufflePosted 3/25/2014 11:48:44 AM
Well, I guess Tyranius really nailed his troll topic this time. Did a great job of judging how overdue this board was for a piracy topic, and laid it down nicely. Good job, TC. Only reinforcing the several reasons I have you tagged, but congrats on a troll topic that seems determined to push to 500. Been a while since we had one of those.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#304chandl34Posted 3/25/2014 11:56:23 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
chandl34 posted...
But the difference is ease/cost of reproduction (which are more or less the same thing). Even the millions of people re-distributing the product pay a negligible price.

No, they are not more or less they same thing. They are very different things. One is the ease it is to reproduce an item, and another is the cost to reproduce an item... they are not the same, they may be related in some cases.... but they are in no ways the same thing.

You're also missing the point that the difference is goods were lost and need to be replaced in one example (book/car) and not the other (piracy). I'm still not getting why you don't realize that, but I must blame myself for apparently not making my point clear enough.

And any example of comparing a stolen good to piracy will fail at that point.

You can tell a lot about someone when they lose a debate. Do they dig their heels in and become stubborn? Or do they man up and admit when they're wrong and grow?

Lets see what happens. :)

Ease and cost are just semantics. By "ease", I meant the cost of having your own car manufacturer or printing press, vs paying for your own computer, bandwidth, and electrical bill.

I didn't miss the point about "goods lost'. I stated as much 2-3 posts ago, when I said the producer didn't pay to re-distribute the pirated product.

You're confused about my arguments these last few pages, because I'm not actually arguing with you. I'm just trying find the differences between the analogies, which 2 pages ago, I concluded was the "ease/cost of reproduction". You're arguing with me over the semantics of "ease" and "cost", when I always intended for them to be the same thing.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#305Worknofun370Posted 3/25/2014 12:01:58 PM
chandl34 posted...
Ease and cost are just semantics. By "ease", I meant the cost of having your own car manufacturer or printing press, vs paying for your own computer, bandwidth, and electrical bill.

I didn't realize we were working with your own definitions of ease of production and cost of production. Always enjoy those curveballs in debates...

"You're confused about my arguments these last few pages, because I'm not actually arguing with you."

So you agree that the analogy doesn't work?

"I'm just trying find the differences between the analogies, which 2 pages ago, I concluded was the "ease/cost of reproduction". "

Differences over what analogies? Car vs Book?
#306chandl34Posted 3/25/2014 12:05:17 PM
Car/book vs digital. I agree the analogy doesn't work, based on cost of reproduction. My post two pages ago, I was looking for other reasons why it wouldn't work.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#307Worknofun370Posted 3/25/2014 12:09:47 PM
chandl34 posted...
Car/book vs digital. I agree the analogy doesn't work, based on cost of reproduction. My post two pages ago, I was looking for other reasons why it wouldn't work.

Gotcha Gotcha, welp... sorry for being a douchebag than haha.

That's always the biggest/strongest one that gets brought up. Others are far more nitpicky/dumb. I've heard a few of the following, but I won't argue any because I don't really agree with them.

Loss of commission
Loss of shipping (always thought this was an interesting one)

The one I always thought was cool were the ones that tried to argue the sentimental value of the item. Like, stealing someones first car, even if you got the same model it would never be the same car.
#308paradoxworldPosted 3/25/2014 12:19:19 PM
Another piracy 500 topic? We were overdue I guess.
---
216.152.65.156 - PM me if this means anything to you. :D
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
#309JenfromwinPosted 3/25/2014 1:01:56 PM
Or like right now ... steam is down I havn't been able to play anything for a few hours... pirates laughing

Sure I could do other things with my time. but when you work long hours and only have free time at certain times of certain days it sucks you can't do what you want to do.
#310Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2014 1:14:04 PM
Depends on the product. I mostly don't.

So it's arbitrary huh?

As I was saying that would be futile. I've thoroughly attempted to do so but you're clearly not capable of understanding.

You attempted to invalidate the analogy. You never attempted to make me understand how "I wouldn't have paid anyway" is a good enough reason to take products without paying. IF your reasoning is because you never explicitly told the company that you were gonna shaft them, that's not a legitimate reason, just because they don't know YOU specifically is taking their stuff without paying doesn't make it alright.

Analogies have specific guidelines they need to fit in order to be good arguments:

-The relevance of the known similarities to the similarity inferred in the conclusion
-The amount and variety of the examples in the analogy
-The number of characteristics that the things being compared share

Let's just focus on the third one for now since that's easy. As you can see, your analogy fails miserably here. Because there are little to no characteristics that the things being compared share. Having only one similarity is a terrible analogy.

Once again missing the point. Attacking the analogy instead of arguing about the matter at hand. Why is it alright to take stuff because you claim that you wouldn't have paid anyway?
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius